Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Is this unfair?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Odd question.. But here we go.

I returned to sunny Wrexham the other day to see my old mates and we sat in the pub and had a discussion...

Apparently a block of council flats, around 6 + floors I think has a broken lift and my friend can't get her pushchair down the stairs alone and it makes it very difficult.Anyway, she went to the council who said it'd take a few months to repair as they needed to wait for new parts to arrive.

There is somebody in the flats who cannot walk properly (has one of those scoote things) and single mothers with very young children...

Now I don't see how it would take months for a part for a lift to arrive, I think that if the flats were privately owned then they'd be fixed in a day. But personally I find this disgusting... There must be people seriously affected be this.

Comments

• Options
    I would have thought that was practicaly illegal
  • Options
    I would suggest your friend contacts a solicitor to investigate taking action for disrepair.
  • Options
    Sounds a bit slack of them. Is it a housing association flat or a council flat?
  • Options
    Odd question.. But here we go.

I returned to sunny Wrexham the other day to see my old mates and we sat in the pub and had a discussion...

Apparently a block of council flats, around 6 + floors I think has a broken lift and my friend can't get her pushchair down the stairs alone and it makes it very difficult.Anyway, she went to the council who said it'd take a few months to repair as they needed to wait for new parts to arrive.

There is somebody in the flats who cannot walk properly (has one of those scoote things) and single mothers with very young children...

Now I don't see how it would take months for a part for a lift to arrive, I think that if the flats were privately owned then they'd be fixed in a day. But personally I find this disgusting... There must be people seriously affected be this.
    queens parc cia parc by the army base by any chance?

cos if so then of course the part will take months to arrive as theres no one lives there who matters.
  • Options
    queens parc cia parc by the army base by any chance?

cos if so then of course the part will take months to arrive as theres no one lives there who matters.
    Just by Queens park yeah, Hightown
  • Options
    Just by Queens park yeah, Hightown
    so ...is there anyone there who matters ...to the bastards?
    i do n't think so.

someone should kick off big style.
  • Options
    You need to contact the Director of the council, go all the way to the top (or tell the people involved to). Explain the situation and be calm but firm. Let them know how this is affecting the people who live in these flats and that they will take it however high they have to so that they can get the work done. (the person who has mobility problems is probably the person you need to be using as a way of getting the work done quicker). Tell em you will take it to the newspapers blah blah, explain that the person who uses a scooter can now not leave the flats etc.

I had a complaint with council, anyways went to the top and after speaking to the man at the top have got things sorted. Adaptations had been put on hold till the next financial year (april) and I told him this was not acceptable, blah blah........the work will be done in about 2 weeks time.
  • Options
    Pretty simple with any sort of landlord trouble. Withhold rent until the job is done. They soon get it done when they know they wont get their rent. And they can't do anything about it if they're not keeping their side of the contract. Don't know if this works with the council though. I figure it'd be the same principle.
  • Options
    Pretty simple with any sort of landlord trouble. Withhold rent until the job is done. They soon get it done when they know they wont get their rent. And they can't do anything about it if they're not keeping their side of the contract. Don't know if this works with the council though. I figure it'd be the same principle.
    witholding the rent won't work with the council.
    what will work ...is a lot of people camping out in the mayors garden.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Its a disgrace. I know of similar things going on - Threaten legal action - and htat part will arrive within days. Try it. Might work.
  • Options
    The people in these estates don't matter to the greedy robbing cunts at the council. The only way they will be treated properly is if they make themselves matter.

As ftp says, your friend needs to be getting legal advice from a community solicitor or from Shelter. The council, as landlords, have a duty of repair.