Home Work & Volunteering
At The Mix, we want to make our services as helpful as we can. To do this, we’d love to ask you a few questions about you, your visit to The Mix and its impact. It should take only about 5-10 minutes to complete. Take this survey and get a chance at winning a £200 Amazon voucher​.
Come and join Under 16's Support Chat, open NOW from 6pm - 7:30pm! Over 16's welcome to support our younger members. Find us here
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

DWP are a joke

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
The jobcentre have just told me that my jobseekers allowance has being cut because I left a course under new deal they put me on. I left this course becuase all I was doing was sitting around and doing nothing and I mean nothing . Everyone else was playing online games and chatting on MSN. I really can't see how doing this is going help me get a job. Im absolutely furious. I tried on several occassions to contact my new deal advisor who wasn't available and I told my course provider and they pretty much told me tough luck.

If i wanted to sit on my fat ass playing games and chatting I can do that at home. I just thought i would vent my spleen :grump:
«1345

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yep, New Deal is (mostly) a joke. Its a way of keeping the unemployment figures down and supplying cheap labour and keeping training organisations in business.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It is a joke, but if you don't play by the rules then tough titties.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    hopefully you will get a job soon and won't have to worry about it.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yeh, maybe it will force you to get a job as you'll be needing the money.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    it's supposed to bore you into going into work, even if only temporary
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hopefully I will get a job soon and I can tell them to cram it up their backside :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Christ, some of you are so fucking judgemental. :mad:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    who is being judgemental? obviously anyone claiming JSA is looking for a job................
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote:
    Yep, New Deal is (mostly) a joke. Its a way of keeping the unemployment figures down and supplying cheap labour and keeping training organisations in business.
    I believe Conservative policy is to scrap the new deal because its too expensive. Its starting to sound like that might be a good idea.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    who is being judgemental? obviously anyone claiming JSA is looking for a job................

    Errrr...no.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote:
    Errrr...no.

    why no? it's Job Seekers Allowance - surely the clue is in the name?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Some people might not actually be capable of working (but don't qualify for IS or IB) or they might be at college or doing other training of doing voluntary work to get experience etc etc etc
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If you find yourself pointing your finger a lot, turn it around!!

    jk, that phrase always gets to me when it's true, lol.....

    IIt's good to vent here, but don't share this with people you are trying to get work with, ebcause even though it makes you soulnd like you have great work ethic, it also shows that you complain and place blame.... good luck!!! :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i thought only people looking for jobs got JSA and that you had to prove that you were actively looking for work? :confused:

    i don't think anyone meaned to be judgemental, the original poster said she/he was looking for a job and that this course was unhelpful.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    happybunny wrote:
    The jobcentre have just told me that my jobseekers allowance has being cut because I left a course under new deal they put me on. I left this course becuase all I was doing was sitting around and doing nothing and I mean nothing . Everyone else was playing online games and chatting on MSN. I really can't see how doing this is going help me get a job. Im absolutely furious. I tried on several occassions to contact my new deal advisor who wasn't available and I told my course provider and they pretty much told me tough luck.

    If i wanted to sit on my fat ass playing games and chatting I can do that at home. I just thought i would vent my spleen :grump:

    hmmmmm, ive been on New Deal you are right, as the computers are taken by the wasters all the time, genuine jobseekers end up sitting on their arse all day as well, being told to apply for this n that, jobs they clearly do not want or are not qualified for, its all to do with statistics, they make you apply for the jobs so that they look good. They also send some out on work placements that are quite demanding for an extra £2 a day they give you for going on New Deal. Those are the drawbacks. The positives from it are that even though they push you into applying for jobs it does help with motivation especially if you get more interviews and the work experience can give you something to do during your day and not get bored in a smelly office reading newspapers. But as you say it is a requirement that you see New Deal through or find work otherwise you will lose your money because it looks like your not proving that your looking for work. New Deal is also a way of stopping benefit fraud as people like to go to their cash in hand jobs on days other than their signing day.

    If your stuck for cash you should apply for hardship.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i thought only people looking for jobs got JSA

    No, people get JSA if they qualify and aren't eligible for IB or IS. Plenty of people are on JSA who aren't in a position to work and plenty of people get nothing at all.
    and that you had to prove that you were actively looking for work? :confused:

    Yes, you do, but mostly its paying lip service to it. The jobcentre staff usually don't give a shit, except when it reflects badly on their targets.
    i don't think anyone meaned to be judgemental, the original poster said she/he was looking for a job and that this course was unhelpful.

    Read some of the comments again.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote:
    Christ, some of you are so fucking judgemental. :mad:

    What, telling her to shut up whining because she didn't do what she was told to do is "judgemental" now is it?

    If you're on JSA you have commitments. If you can't be arsed turning up to them then they cut your benefits- where, exactly, is the problem with that?

    Whether or not the commitments do any good is irrelevant, IMHO. You hsve commitments, you go to them, or you don't get paid. Same as the rest of us, really.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Shut up Kermit, you really have no idea of this person's circumstances, so until you do, I'd quit being such a judgemental twat.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Oh and if you don't actually see any problems with people being forced on New Deal and being used as cheap labour by private companies (paid for by your taxes), then I suggest you actually educate yourself a little bit on the subject.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote:
    What, telling her to shut up whining because she didn't do what she was told to do is "judgemental" now is it?

    If you're on JSA you have commitments. If you can't be arsed turning up to them then they cut your benefits- where, exactly, is the problem with that?

    Whether or not the commitments do any good is irrelevant, IMHO. You hsve commitments, you go to them, or you don't get paid. Same as the rest of us, really.

    Your quite right in the extent that some people just leave courses for the sake of leaving them and that they can't be bothered at all. However on the matter of if the commitments do any good, if your not doing anything on the course that will help you find a job then its a breach of the agreement and they should provide you with something that doesn't.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    :confused: i wasn't being judgemental, was simply saying that hopefully the poster would get a job soon and wouldnt have to worry
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote:
    Shut up Kermit, you really have no idea of this person's circumstances, so until you do, I'd quit being such a judgemental twat.

    First of all, the OP said she left "becuase all I was doing was sitting around and doing nothing and I mean nothing." So I do have an idea of the OP's circumstances, ta muchly.

    Whether or not New Deal is any good or not is irrelevant to the matter. You are given condictions as part of your benefit, and if you don't fulfil them then you lose it. Seems fair enough to me.

    Personally I actually don't see anything wrong with New Deal. Being a parent should be considered a full-time job IMHO, but if you aren't a parent then you can get off your arse and work like the rest of us have to.

    I think the actual way New Deal is implemented is bollocks, because of what the OP and others have said, but the sentiment is perfectly fine and acceptable.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote:
    You are given condictions as part of your benefit, and if you don't fulfil them then you lose it. Seems fair enough to me.

    Well it would be if they spent enough time making people aware of said terms and conditions...I've been caught out on this so many times this summer, even though I was working my arse off trying to find a job:

    1) As a postgraduate, even though I was still on my dissertation which wasn't due in till mid September, aparently I would have been eligible for JSA from 11th June (end of term, even though it wasn't my course end date). I went into the jobcentre on the offchance that I'd be eligible on 8th July, out of desparation more than hope and found out I could in fact sign on. Hurrah! BUT I was unable to backclaim to the 11th June because I 'didn't have a good enough reason for delaying'. Even though I was given no reason to believe that as a student there'd be any hope and so thought I'd have student status in thie eyes until September. Just look at the DWP website for the amazing clarity they show.....on the blurb about students they really should have a couple of lines explaining the status of us poor old masters students. But no, they just expect the whole world and its dog to enquire if they can claim at the earliest possible moment, however hopeless the circumstances look.

    2) My boyfriend took me away for 3 days to Dublin as a b/day pressie in July. Unfortunately he arranged it falling on the same date as my preliminary JSA interview, and as he presented it to me as a fait accompli he couldn't change the dates - or not without throwing lots of money down the drain. So I went to the Jobcentre to rearrange the interview and it was only when I came back for the new date that I was told that as I'd had the temerity to enjoy and accept a birthday pressie of *gasp* a couple of days abroad, my claim up until I came back had been cancelled. So now I wouldn't get anything until 23rd July. The fact that I'd got all my applications up to date before I went, took my mobile with me and so could be contacted (and did actually hear about a job interview while I was away) and conceivably could have flown back with Ryanair if I'd got a very last minute interview was unimportant. If I'd have been in Northern Ireland though, I could have stayed up to 2 weeks without losing my dole.

    3) I got offered a studentship to do a PhD and the course was due to start on 23rd September, so I went into the Jobcentre to sign off on the 16th. A few weeks later I got my P45 which listed my end of claim date as the 5th. When I queried this I was told that as I hadn't gone along to sign on on the 19th, my claim was stopped on the day after my previous sign on day. Apaarently had I gone along and made up some random shit about non-existant jobs I was applying to, to cover the 4 days until my course I could have got JSA until the 22nd!!! Surely even the jobcentre doesn't believe it's possible to get a 4 day temp job with so little notice! That would have been a complete waste of everyones time not to meantion the tax payers money....

    So yeah :banghead: I hate the DWP too. I can't complain about any of the above (except in this little rant) because technically the staff were following the rules. It's just that the rules were compiled on another planet. Sigh...
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The JobCentre are shit, I was waiting 16 fucking weeks to get my benefit because not one of the cunts could be arsed to do anything. Lazy twats.

    But the point still stands that if you walk out on your New deal commitments then you can't whinge when they stop your money.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Why can't you whinge? Its not like going on New Deal is a choice.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote:
    The JobCentre are shit, I was waiting 16 fucking weeks to get my benefit because not one of the cunts could be arsed to do anything. Lazy twats.

    But the point still stands that if you walk out on your New deal commitments then you can't whinge when they stop your money.

    Yes, yes - the world according to Kermit.

    1) DWP staff are cunts
    2) If a cunt tells you to sit on irc and msn chat all day, then you should do that, even though some company is getting money to prepare you for work.
    3) If you object to wasting your time because some cunt is stealing kermits money by not doing what kermit is paying them to do, then you have no right to express yourself on the site.

    I'm glad I'm not kermit

    :yippe:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    get a job!
    Yes, yes - the world according to Kermit.

    1) DWP staff are cunts
    2) If a cunt tells you to sit on irc and msn chat all day, then you should do that, even though some company is getting money to prepare you for work.
    3) If you object to wasting your time because some cunt is stealing kermits money by not doing what kermit is paying them to do, then you have no right to express yourself on the site.

    I'm glad I'm not kermit

    :yippe:
    I agree, and I,m glad Im not Kermit too!! I happen to work for DWP!
    1. HALF MY STAFF ARE ON THE SICK WITH STRESS DUE TO JOBCUTS AND BEING OVERWORKED.!tHE SIMPLE FACT OF THE MATTER IS WE DON'T HAVE THE STAFF ANYMORE TO PROCESS ALL YOUR BLOODY CLAIMS TO BENEFIT. The staff do give a shit and work their arses off trying to claims through but when you have your staff drastically reduced you're banging your head against a brick wall. You then have arseholes like Kermit constantly ringing asking wheres my money so no one can get any work done. I admit the system stinks but we don't get an easy ride either. as for new deal I was New Deal Adviser and that is a thankless task as most of the customers are a complete waste of space . Most of them don't realise they are supposed to look for A job, not the job of their dreams. And yes you are forced to do training courses, but quite frankly if you haven't sorted yourself by the time you have been signing for 18 months then what do you expect.Some people expect a free ride in this world at the taxpayers expense. My advice to you is enrol at college for free lessons, make sure they are under 15 hours/week and inform jobcentre.Get several copies of your cv and send them to as many employers as possible, offer yourself for work trials, ask any adviser in a jobcentre about these. Work for free if you have to. Stop messing about in chat rooms until you have a job, after all you could be spending this time more productively by actually looking for work! sorry if I swore! And by the way I only stumbled on this site and thread as I was researching something for work and this came up. :mad:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    we are not lazt twats!! someone probably was working their arse off trying to sort your claim. I bet you're one of those annoying customers constanly on the phone asking where his money is and then wonders why his claim isn't getting done. Don't you realise its not just a case of pressing a few buttons!!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I know at least in my town, Job centres are grossly understaffed, as is are other benefits agencies, blame Blair.

    As for New Deal, if it provides cheap labour then it does (at the end of the day, barwork, factory work, telesales ect are all cheap labour too)... What's wrong with working for your benefit money? If you don't want the piss taken then get a job... And yes, I have been in that position as well as being on incapacity and besides, it probably looks better on your CV than nothing.

    JSA is intended for exactly what the name entails, it's for people who are genuinely looking for jobs. There are usually jobs around, they might not be nice but they are there. Obviously there are people who are perhaps too frightened to go back to work and they could do with some help which isn't there and probably will never be there...

    I don't think Kermit's being too judgemental really, everybody's entitled to an opinion.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i thought only people looking for jobs got JSA and that you had to prove that you were actively looking for work? :confused:
    .

    all you have to do is apply for jobs. at where i work we get loads of applications off people saying that they want an interview and will require £40 traveling expenses or £100 to buy a suit for the interview

    they quite blatently dont want a job they just have to be seen to be applying for interviews
Sign In or Register to comment.