Home Work & Volunteering
Come and join our Support Circle, every Tuesday, 8 - 9:30pm! Anyone is welcome to join. Sign up here
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Teacher training...pgce...?

2»

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Walkindude wrote:
    so you need to above average in a subject that has no relavance to what you are doing. That doesn't sound unreasonable?

    You need a C or above in Maths (or equivalent) to do Beauty Therapy NVQ's.

    Yes. An above average grade in Maths to paint nails. Makes me sick. I'm lucky I got the damn grad eother wise I'd be even more sickened by the fact.

    Alot of my mates have wanted to go into teaching and they're struggling just as much, The grade expectations are just so you can prove you can learnwhat they need to know I guess.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Walkindude wrote:
    you people really are the end. Looking down your noses at everyone else.

    I don't know where you get that impression from, I'm not looking down my nose at anyone. I don't make the rule.
    Techers may have an effect on kids education yes, so does the school but the most effect is the child themsleves and if they are thick chavvy twats that wanna mess around and not learn or stuck up snobs that dont want to learn then a teacher may have gotten nothing but A* in all their exams and gained all the qualifications you hold onto so preciously and it won't make one bit of difference.

    Not sure where you're going with that particular gem of information really, as the same could apply to any poor teacher with tricky kids.
    Oh and how typical, I give you the quotes from a man who not only teaches maths, writes the papers and marks them but also writes the textbooks and you still discount it when it is FACT.

    No, its hearsay. What's fact is the government statistic that is at the bottom of the web page I quoted.
    Pathetic.

    *shrug*
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    kathryn wrote:
    A D is not good


    why isn't it? just 'cause a C is the assumed 'pass mark' doesn't mean that 1 grade below it is 'not good'.
    kathryn wrote:

    When people stop aiming for the top and are happy to settle for average marks it worries me, why shouldnt you try harder? Why shouldnt you want to get an A*? You shouldn't be happy with a D.

    you think i sat my maths GCSE 4 times and wanted to settle for an average mark? no. i don't find maths easy but i tried my hardest. just because someone gets a D doesn't mean that they didn't try hard. why shouldn't i want to get an A*? i'm sure everyone would love to get A*'s in all of their exams wouldn't they but it's not like that. afterall, we're not all perfect like some of us think we are. i find it quite worrying that you seem to neglect the fact that we're not all brain boxes at all subjects. just because you get below a C doesn't mean you didn't try hard!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    at least someone speaks some sense.

    A D isn't bad. I don't give a toss about a D., If it means I have average maths ability but I kick ass in every other subject were I got a lot more then I don't care. I have university degree, did my maths hinder me? did I show that by getting a D in maths I couldnt hack it? No, I whopped ass and did better then the people who got more then D in Maths but only got 3rd at uni.

    It isn't hearsy , it is fact. Juts because your crappy government website wants to quote figures relating A*-C grades, doesnt mean that D is not average. I will take the word of the guy that writes and marks the exams over a couple of lines you pulled from somewhere that don't mean anything.

    You are a snob and you have looke ddown on me and anyone that doesnt meet your standard. I hope when you fall you hit your ass hard because you deserve it.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey, I'm doing PGDE Primary at Jordanhill (part of Strathclyde University) in Glasgow.

    To get into teaching here you need to have at least credit level maths (a 1 or 2) or Higher maths. I didn't have the correct maths grades so did an open learning course.

    I also did a lot of voluntary work in schools before applying cos experience is really important.

    Applied through GTTR.

    I'm in the middle of my 6 week p4-7 placement. Have a pretty challenging p6/7 but am really enjoying it!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Walkindude wrote:
    at least someone speaks some sense.

    A D isn't bad. I don't give a toss about a D., If it means I have average maths ability but I kick ass in every other subject were I got a lot more then I don't care. I have university degree, did my maths hinder me? did I show that by getting a D in maths I couldnt hack it? No, I whopped ass and did better then the people who got more then D in Maths but only got 3rd at uni.

    Oh I'm very pleased for you. No really. What relevance does that have to anything?

    It isn't hearsy , it is fact.

    Err, no, it's hearsay. You're repeating to me what your maths teacher told you.

    Juts because your crappy government website wants to quote figures relating A*-C grades, doesnt mean that D is not average. I will take the word of the guy that writes and marks the exams over a couple of lines you pulled from somewhere that don't mean anything.

    It's the DfES website. I'll take the word of that over whatever guy taught you and got you a D.
    You are a snob and you have looke ddown on me and anyone that doesnt meet your standard. I hope when you fall you hit your ass hard because you deserve it.

    I've made no value judgements about you whatsoever, yet you choose to insult me because you assume based on what I have said that I'm a snob.

    To be honest it sounds as if you are smarting from not getting what you wanted, and you realise that you're on a losing stance in a debate so you're resorting to throwing the personal insults out.

    As Kathryn said, a D at GCSE is not a great mark. Whether it's a pass or fail or the mark of a good school even isn't really the point, the point is that there's better grades that people can get, and that to be a teacher you need one of those better grades. Personally I see nothing wrong with that whatsoever.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    keep deluding yourself with responses that do not mean anything. You ignore every point I made, wehn I had evidence and you are a snob, look back on your posts, only wanting people that you see as as above others to teach, when really it makes no difference.

    Obviously the teacher crises isn't as bad as they make out if they can reject candidates over one exam that will no doubt be replaced in a few years.

    I think you will find it was others that insulted me before that last post but once again, the fact that you don't bother reading the posts does not surprise me.
  • littlemissylittlemissy knit chick Posts: 9,972
    Walkindude wrote:
    keep deluding yourself with responses that do not mean anything. You ignore every point I made, wehn I had evidence and you are a snob, look back on your posts, only wanting people that you see as as above others to teach, when really it makes no difference.

    What evidence? You haven't provided any concrete evidence. You have just given us "he says, she says" stuff. Nothing that we can look at and evaluate ourselves.
    Obviously the teacher crises isn't as bad as they make out if they can reject candidates over one exam that will no doubt be replaced in a few years.

    The reason, as I have already stated, for there being a teacher crisis is *not* because of them setting the entry requirements too high. It is because the government do not give institutions enough money to train more. I am currently doing my teacher training. At my institution there were over 700 applicants (with at least a C in GCSE Maths ...) that applied for 70 places. These people *had* the entry requirements. Your argument is flawed.
    I think you will find it was others that insulted me before that last post but once again, the fact that you don't bother reading the posts does not surprise me.

    *yawn*

    This whole argument is getting a tad tedious.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Chips on my shoulder
    More as I grow older
    Feel I owe a debt
    For the things I don't get
    I only miss out
    (Well I was there before)
    I sit in a corner
    Sit on the floor

    Chorus:
    Misery
    Complaints
    Self Pity
    Injustice
    Chips on my shoulder

    There's no time for fun time
    It's sit and complain time
    I'll talk about famine
    While cooking the dinner
    Don't you feel guilty
    Don't you feel pity (No)

    While my head gets fatter
    And the starving get thinner

    Chorus

    I should have told her
    I've chips on my shoulder
    I'm making a stand
    While I sit on my arse
    Fish and chip supper
    While those in the gutter
    Can't have a good time
    Fun's just a farse

    Misery
    Complaints
    Self Pity
    Injustice
    Chips on my shoulder
    Chips on my shoulder
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    pathetic blagsta

    Oh and I have yet to see anyone provide evidence that on the grade scale that D is not classed as Average in ability. Quoting the numbers of how many people gained A*-C grades is pointless and meaningless.

    Oh and if the teacher training is soooo overprecisbed by the tune of 700 people trying for 70 places then why are they advertising for more teachers?? Surely they wouldn't need to if they were so over prescribed?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Walkindude wrote:
    pathetic blagsta

    Oh and I have yet to see anyone provide evidence that on the grade scale that D is not classed as Average in ability. Quoting the numbers of how many people gained A*-C grades is pointless and meaningless.

    Actually you have. If you look at the website I linked to, you can see that over 50% of people taking GCSEs last year achieved grades A*-C. That means that the larger group of people scored higher than a D. So it can't really be average.

    And, as I have said before, it's not really the point whether or not a D is average, because it's still not that great.
    Oh and if the teacher training is soooo overprecisbed by the tune of 700 people trying for 70 places then why are they advertising for more teachers?? Surely they wouldn't need to if they were so over prescribed?

    *thunk*
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well thanks very much for high-jacking my thread and turning it into a bitter and twisted rant Walkindude...I really wanted some useful advice and info from those in the know, not a slagging match sp can we please leave the issue of a fecking Maths GCSE alone now?!
    I have a B at GCSE so the debate doesnt really interest me.

    Does anyone else have any advice on gaining experience for me?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Walkindude wrote:
    pathetic blagsta

    You don't like Soft Cell? I think they were great, Marc Almond is well underrated if you ask me.

    *shrugs*
    Walkindude wrote:
    Oh and I have yet to see anyone provide evidence that on the grade scale that D is not classed as Average in ability. Quoting the numbers of how many people gained A*-C grades is pointless and meaningless.

    Oh and if the teacher training is soooo overprecisbed by the tune of 700 people trying for 70 places then why are they advertising for more teachers?? Surely they wouldn't need to if they were so over prescribed?

    Look - the point is that teachers are expected to be of above average ability and have a well rounded education.
Sign In or Register to comment.