Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

References

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I need idea people. I am about to apply for a job a few days a week. On the application form they want 2 references. One from my recent employer, thats fine, and another from someone else who isn't a friend.

Who the hell could i ask? I don't know that many people, and most are friends. :banghead:

Comments

• Options
    Tweety wrote:
    I need idea people. I am about to apply for a job a few days a week. On the application form they want 2 references. One from my recent employer, thats fine, and another from someone else who isn't a friend.

Who the hell could i ask? I don't know that many people, and most are friends. :banghead:

Well its usually gotta be someone you've known for a good few years...which doesn't help much!
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    Well its usually gotta be someone you've known for a good few years...which doesn't help much!

Yeah i know, it sucks. :impissed:
  • Options
    Can't you get another reference from another employer?
  • Options
    Just get a friend to pretend to be someone else, or bung someone on from school/college, in my experience they rarely bother checking with 2.
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    Can't you get another reference from another employer?

Yeah thats the only other person i can think of (although they are retired now but i guess thats ok?), wanted to see if anyone can think of someone else though.
  • Options
    Just get a friend to pretend to be someone else, or bung someone on from school/college, in my experience they rarely bother checking with 2.

I was shit at school & didnt stop at colledge long oops.
  • Options
    For a small fee, I'll give you one :p
  • Options
    For a small fee, I'll give you one :p

hehe see i have friend who would too but i'm guessing they will wanna know how,why i know them you know?
  • Options
    Umm, you volunteered at something they needed volunteers for?

:confused:
  • Options
    Umm, you volunteered at something they needed volunteers for?

:confused:

Might be an idea yeah ta
  • Options
  • Options
    i've worked in Human Resources for the past 2 summers and tbh as long as the details you give the company match up with the details the referee give then its all fine.

by details i mean, dates of employment, how long you've known them and in what capacity.

i must stress that if you're giving dates of employment then they can only be a month or 2 out because otherwise they think you lied and tried to make out you worked for longer.
    this also counts for number of sicknesses.

for your second reference, just use another employer, theres nothing wrong with that and it's what most people do anyway.
  • Options
    A lot of the big companies now only give references which state the period and terms of employment. They are refusing to write character references for fear of being sued.