Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

No Sound on PC

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey, when I try to listen to music through windows media player I get this message: "Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There may not be a sound device installed on your computer, it may be in use by another program, or it may not be functioning properly."
Also when I try to lsiten to music through winamp I get a similar message: Unsupported PMC format.

What can I do to fix this problem, or what do I need to download?

Comments

• Options
    You sure speakers are plugged in and installed properly?
  • Options
    Well i think you have windows Xp but this will work for most computers i think, Do the following:

Right click My Computer
    Click on Properties
    Wait for the Window to open then click on hardware
    Click Device manger

Look for Audio and if there are any Yellow ! Then you've got a problem and if there is a audio sign there with the ! that means there is a problem if there is give me shout
  • Options
    This happens with a fresh install of windows. Windows is quite good with drivers, and does most of them for you except sound for some reason. You need to find the disk containing the sound drivers, or google search / Register on a site like www.DriverGuide.com where you will most likely find them.

:)