Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Sugar substitutes - not so sweet

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm new to this but just wanted to warn people who think that sugar substitutes are better for you than eating the real thing - don't be fooled by what the ads say...
After seeing an advert for Splenda, the no-calorie sweetener that can be used in cooking, I decided to do a bit of research before trying the product and I'm glad that I did. The ad shows a mother feeding her family foods made with this stuff.
Splenda is made using a chemical process that uses chlorine and carbon monoxide to make a lethal gas called phosgene. The natural oxygen and hydrogen molecules in sugar are replaced with halogen chlorine, and the result is a product that doesn't even vaguely resemble sugar. This chemical process makes Splenda 600 times sweeter than real sugar.
Further research threw up some interesting testimonials of people who have tried Splenda, or diet products containing sucralose, with many of them having suffered illnesses including anxiety attacks, depression, skin problems and gastro problems.
Look carefully at what is in your diet food and drink, surely if there is any risk that these products might make you ill then it's not worth it?!

Comments

• Options
    Brilliant, thanks for clearing that up.
  • Options
    That was a party political broadcast by the Anti-Splenda party.
  • Options
    Reading that made me want to spend all my money on Aspartame.
  • Options
    ummm... nothing really new there then. Sugar substitutes are a load of crap after all :lol:
  • Options
    Doofay wrote:
    Reading that made me want to spend all my money on Aspartame.
    I'm sure he won't stop you.
  • Options
    bad seed wrote:
    That was a party political broadcast by the Anti-Splenda party.

Lol.

I don't see the point of sugar substitutes myself, if you want sugar just eat god damn sugar.
  • Options
    Yep, Nothing beats normal sugar :D
  • Options
    Yeh, I don't get sucked into the whole splenda thing. I always feel it is better to have the real stuff and just eat it in moderation.
  • Options
    what, you mean highly processed food with loads of additives in is bad for me?

:crying: