Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Im on the worng course?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
University for me in my first year at the moment is not great. Im taking a Geography degree. But am not enjoying it 4 weeks in. I would love to become an architect and have thought about dropping out. Should I do this or give the course a chance till Christmas?

Any Suggestion or similiar experiences?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    if i were you id suggest looking into switching courses. does the uni you go to have a decent architectual course there? if so then maybe talk to your tutors about switching.

if you really dont enjoy the course then i personally would not wait any longer than necessary before switching. a friend of mine a while ago didnt enjoy her course and decided to switch but left it too late... so when she approached someone about going on this new course they told her the course was too far in and she would have to wait until the following september to be able to do it. bet you dont want that to happen!!
  • Options
    I totally agree with soraliah, have a word with admission RIGHT NOW. Try and do a straight switch.

If you cant, and definatly want to change courses, consider withdrawing now and getting as much of your fees back as you can, and maybe try another university who will accept you.

I think the reason you're not sure if you want to quit the course is because you already have a lot invested in your Geography course (money, time etc). If it doesn't feel right, talk to your family or the SU-counsiling services.

The first year of a degree is just to get people into the habit of studying, have a proper conversation with admissions, and if you act friendly and grown up, they should do the switch.
  • Options
    yeah. have a word with your lecturers about switching your course... provided the university you are at does the course which you want to switch onto?!

sticking at a course you don't like or have no interest in is not a good idea... you need to act quickly though if you want to change it. - you'll also need to check that your LEA is fine about it to make sure it has no impact on your loan / fee status.

and also think about WHY you chose the course you are doing at the moment??? - presumably that was what you wanted to do at some point too?! - so think about why your ideas have changed so much... are they likely to follow a similar pattern in future, or are you certain what you are changing to is something you really want to do. and what is it about your course atm which you dislike so much? - just some things to think about! but definitly talk to your tutors asap. :)