Home Work & Volunteering
Free Wednesday evening? Come along to our safeguarding co-design session from 6-7:30PM. sign up here
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Big Issue

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
How many of you see people selling the big issue and just walk past and blank them as if they don't exist? I can't do that! I'll buy one and walk down the road and see someone else and buy another copy of the same issue.

I went into Manchester on Friday and bought a burger. I was sat watching a big issue vendor for 5 minutes and as he does, he asks people if they would like to buy a big issue.

Countless people just ignored him as if he was invisible and he would say "thank you" to them. Thank you?!!!!!

He would never get angry. He just faced rejection after rejection. I admire him! After I ate my burger I walked up to him and gave him £1. It made him so happy!

What is one pound to most people nowadays? Just think of the homeless while your tucking into your Turkey on christmas day!!!

I never read the big issue but at least I know I did something to help a homeless person and i will be making a donation to the big issue trust this Christmas!

Shyness has a strange element of narcissism, a belief that how we look, how we perform, is truly important to other people

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i love the big issue, i go down to brighton every week to get a copy. its a good magazine with articles that tackle current issues.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I used to buy the big issue from a girl in town untill i found out she has a council house and is a heroin addict, i do help people on the streets but only the genuine ones
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hmmm...I don't live in the UK, but i know about the big issue - when i was in london i saw loadsa ppl trying to sell the thing. and i feel ashamed to admit it, but i did exactly what you said Broken - i walked past and blocked them out completely.

    But i guess next time i'm over there, i'll buy a copy, based on harry's recommendation.

    I didn't lose my mind, it was mine to give away.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I always aknowledge the Big Issue vendors by politely telling them I dont want a copy. I do occasionally buy a copy when I have the money to hand.
    However in Nottingham you only have to walk down Clumber street (for those who know nottingham) and be assaulted by not only the big issue sellers but also by beggars, buskers and communists trying to sell you a copy of socialist worker.
    Im sure if there wern't so many street vendors then more people would pay attention to the BI vendors. any comments???

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Whowhere:
    I always aknowledge the Big Issue vendors by politely telling them I dont want a copy. I do occasionally buy a copy when I have the money to hand.
    However in Nottingham you only have to walk down Clumber street (for those who know nottingham) and be assaulted by not only the big issue sellers but also by beggars, buskers and communists trying to sell you a copy of socialist worker.
    Im sure if there wern't so many street vendors then more people would pay attention to the BI vendors. any comments???


    I never give my money to buskers, beggers or anyone. The only people I give my money to are the big issue vendors. If a vendor see's you have a big issue then they wont bother you and they "Thank" you.

    I sometimes go to Manchester 2 or 3 times a week and I end up buying one everytime. Ok I may be a softie but I do feel sorry for them and a quid in there pocket is better than a quid in mine <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/smile.gif"&gt;



    Don't take life seriously because you can't come out of it alive
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Me and my mate tina ran away once and all those homless guys who sell the big issue looked after us while we were in town at night time,

    everytime im in town i actually make a point of buying it.

    Ive never bought more than one copy though, but mark if you dont have a problem with it i think your a very generous person.

    MTS ^5
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Spirit II:

    Ive never bought more than one copy though, but mark if you dont have a problem with it i think your a very generous person.


    I just find it difficult to say no to people <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/rolleyes.gif"&gt;



    Don't take life seriously because you can't come out of it alive
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Broken Heart:
    I just find it difficult to say no to people <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/rolleyes.gif"&gt;



    Lend us a tenner Mark <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/biggrin.gif"&gt;

    j9
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by j9:

    Lend us a tenner Mark <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/biggrin.gif"&gt;

    j9


    Oh go on then <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/smile.gif"&gt; Come and get it if ya want it <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/biggrin.gif"&gt;


    Don't take life seriously because you can't come out of it alive
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    my mum goes a bit mental at me for it, but i have to buy them as i walk up town until i cant afford anymore!!
    yeah sometimes i wonder if the people i buy copies from are legit, but there are sooo many people who are. and i cant tell my concience "its alright, he/she's probly just feeding a habit" because, well, i have a concience.
    at least people with the big issue are making the concious effort to get some income. even though its small, and wont do much. sometimes a little goes a long ways.

    im also there for the same reasons as Spirit. only it was a boyfriend rather than a friend.


    i may be soft in your palm, but i'll soon grow hungry for a fight-and i will not let you win.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i know this is kind of an old topic, but i thought i'd post something.

    What does the big issue have in it?

    I'v never bought it b4.

    I think u are all very kind people.

    The more sand that escapes through the hourglass of time, the clearer we should be able to see through it.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Drifter:
    i know this is kind of an old topic, but i thought i'd post something.

    What does the big issue have in it?

    I'v never bought it b4.

    I think u are all very kind people.


    If you dont want to buy one from a vendor try your library...they normally have them


    Respect
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by city_boy:
    If you dont want to buy one from a vendor try your library...they normally have them

    I don't like reading them but its the fact that they are genuinely homeless and they appreciate the money. Most of the time I tell them to keep TBI and I give them the £1 so they get all of it.

    A pound is nothing to you but allot more to a homeless person!!! They can get a bag of chips and a coffee for that!


    Don't take life seriously because you can't come out of it alive
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Broken Heart:
    I don't like reading them but its the fact that they are genuinely homeless and they appreciate the money. Most of the time I tell them to keep TBI and I give them the £1 so they get all of it.

    A pound is nothing to you but allot more to a homeless person!!! They can get a bag of chips and a coffee for that!



    Or a couple of bottles of cider?

    j9



    I had a life once, but I stopped feeding it so one day it just walked away.

    MTS ^5 ;)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by j9:
    Or a couple of bottles of cider?

    j9

    If they want to do that then fine but not all of them are like that and it is unfair to tie all vendors with the same brush.



    Don't take life seriously because you can't come out of it alive
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Broken Heart:
    How many of you see people selling the big issue and just walk past and blank them as if they don't exist? I can't do that! I'll buy one and walk down the road and see someone else and buy another copy of the same issue

    Yesterday I missed the first train I intended to catch, so I dunked my bags in left luggage and walked around Manchester, it made me realise what a sheltered life I have here in the home counties. In my local city centre you will find 3 B.I vendors 2 down north street 1 down East street (for some reason never down est or south street), whilst walking down Manchester I guess it was the main high street str8 down from piccadilly gardens I must have seen a vendor every 250 yards or so on both sides of the street. It was probably more hitting than seeing someone sleeping rough in london. What a sad state of affairs when we live in a society of so many homeless. I just wish there was a quick solution, as idealistic as that sounds it's never gonna be realistic.
    Originally posted by Broken Heart:
    it is unfair to tie all vendors with the same brush.

    this reminded me that I was in town A and bought a big issue ( I think at the time it was 80p and I gave him a quid and said keep the change. A week later I went into my local city centre and bought from my regular vendor down North St, did the same and he insisted i took my change because he wasn't allowed to take donations... so I guess you are right it's not fair to tar one person with the same brush.

    Luk

    The river is wide and oh so deep. I've been walking around in tears, No answers arethere to get. Cause between this world and eternity there is a face I hope to see
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm sorry, I was just joshing <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/frown.gif"&gt;

    j9

    I had a life once, but I stopped feeding it so one day it just walked away.

    MTS ^5 ;)
Sign In or Register to comment.