Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Paid leave plans for new fathers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Options
    a month max and then the job goes to someone else.
  • Options
    the paternity leave should be the same as maternity leave, would help stop the discrimination then :) and fathers wont be financially pushed into being the one who goes to work if the family does one at work, one at homesystem
  • Options
    'bout time.

Still not equality though. But hey. since when has equality for men ever been enough of a political issue?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Good idea. Maybe with Parents at homre more, the little shits of this world may get some discipline!
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Good idea. Maybe with Parents at homre more, the little shits of this world may get some discipline!
    I doubt a six-months old baby needs much discipline...
  • Options
    Zalbor wrote:
    I doubt a six-months old baby needs much discipline...

Ever seen what a Baby will do if you leave it?
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Ever seen what a Baby will do if you leave it?
    I don't think it's a matter of discipline at that age, more like of not knowing what things are like.
  • Options
    Zalbor wrote:
    I don't think it's a matter of discipline at that age, more like of not knowing what things are like.

True. But I don't doubt parents not bothering, even at that age, has an effect on a child. You'll increase the chances of turning out better if your parents are about and caring.
  • Options
    Paternity leave has nothing to do with encouraging fathers to take a more active role in childcare, and everything to do with recognising the fact that new fathers have as much right as new mothers to have some time at home to deal with the stresses and responsbilities of caring for a newborn baby.

Gerbil, the "little shits" you refer to rarely have a father, let alone a working father.