Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Secret Service Confiscates Anti-Bush Poster

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Surely not?

But the US is the land of the free, the first amendment covers this... :rolleyes:

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Man, this sorta thing makes me wonder... what ARE we fighting for?
  • Options
    It's not just there, though, is it?

In the UK not a week ago a man was sentenced to 80 hours community service for wearing a t-shirt with the slogan "Jesus is a cunt".

Or, indeed, what about this.
  • Options
    *sigh*

Looks like the free west isn't anymore.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

In the UK not a week ago a man was sentenced to 80 hours community service for wearing a t-shirt with the slogan "Jesus is a cunt".

Surely the jesus is a cunt t-shirt is inciting racial hatred though. I think that's perfectly understandable.

The second was way ott, she even covered it up with a sweater!
  • Options
    Surely the jesus is a cunt t-shirt is inciting racial hatred though.

No its not.

And if people get offended then they can go screw themselves.
  • Options
    But isn't the Patriot Act kinda designed to null and void the parts of the constitution that the republicans don't like ie. freedom of speech, right to a fair trial, freedom of religion and all that stuff which makes governing a bitch?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

That is a good thing, you must draw a line some where. However I sense double standards. I'm sure if I wore a t-shirt saying "Allah is a Cunt" I would be thrown in prison, and people like you would say good riddance.
  • Options
    That is a good thing, you must draw a line some where. However I sense double standards. I'm sure if I wore a t-shirt saying "Allah is a Cunt" I would be thrown in prison, and people like you would say good riddance.

not really i wouldnt want anything to come to you for that :s

i believe in free speecg
  • Options
    Surely the jesus is a cunt t-shirt is inciting racial hatred though. I think that's perfectly understandable.

The second was way ott, she even covered it up with a sweater!

if i believe jesus brought problems to thsi earth, wheres my freedom of belief? noone can say for fact he was a nice guy

thus it aint racial hatred
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    No its not.

And if people get offended then they can go screw themselves.

Surely the same could be said for sexist or homophobic t-shirts though, but you'd (I assume) happily denounce them.

Or would you rather argue calling Jesus a cunt isn't provocative towards Christians?

Forgive me for making assumptions, but is a lot of this based on your dislike of organised religion?

As much as I hate to say it I agree with Born Slippy if someone had an Allah t-shirt or Buddha t-shirt then they would be in trouble too.

Besides, it's not just inciting racial hatred, it's a social responsibity. It will upset a lot of people who see it - by that I don't necessarily mean they'll be crying their eyes off or seriously annoyed, but it's not going to make them smile, just as a "Hitler is my god" t-shirt would upset people, so it's down to recognising there are other people than yourself in the world and respecting their feelings too.
  • Options
    if i believe jesus brought problems to thsi earth, wheres my freedom of belief? noone can say for fact he was a nice guy

thus it aint racial hatred

There's a difference between saying you don't think jesus is nice, to insulting him. I would have thought that's fairly apparent.
  • Options
    what a crock of shit :mad:
  • Options
    I might make a T Shirt saying "Religion is Shite" and see what happens.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Man, this sorta thing makes me wonder... what ARE we fighting for?
    The terrorists have won already it seems.

ps We still have anti-blasphemy laws in this country. P'raps that was the reason for the 'Jesus is a Cunt' man getting booked.
  • Options
    Surely the same could be said for sexist or homophobic t-shirts though, but you'd (I assume) happily denounce them.

Or would you rather argue calling Jesus a cunt isn't provocative towards Christians?

Forgive me for making assumptions, but is a lot of this based on your dislike of organised religion?

As much as I hate to say it I agree with Born Slippy if someone had an Allah t-shirt or Buddha t-shirt then they would be in trouble too.

Besides, it's not just inciting racial hatred, it's a social responsibity. It will upset a lot of people who see it - by that I don't necessarily mean they'll be crying their eyes off or seriously annoyed, but it's not going to make them smile, just as a "Hitler is my god" t-shirt would upset people, so it's down to recognising there are other people than yourself in the world and respecting their feelings too.

no matter what some people claim, race and religion are 2 different things, thats the difference

i have the right to say the tory party are scumbags, like i cansay the catholic church are - like i can say money is shit and so is jesus

they arent my beliefs actually but i recognise teir right to exist

there is no right to not be offended aobut your beliefs otherwise we'll all have zips over our mouths when talking politics
  • Options

They are two entirely separate things.

If I said "***** are cunts", "Yanks are cunts", "bitches are cunts" or "Christians are cunts" then that would be offensive, and would be meriting a ytelling off, within reason. Although even then I would stop short of sentencing someone to eighty hours CPO, which is a significant punishment.

The policeman could have just asked him to cover it up. The man even offered to. Problem solved. Instead we've spent tens of thousands of pounds to prosecute him, and sentence him to a significant punishment order.

Do you think that's a good way to spend £50,000?

Calling a tangential figure a cunt is being offensive to that tangential figure. If Jesus wants to come and make a complaint then he's welcome to, but until he does it is nobody else's business.

For the record, much as I despise the BNP, I don't disagree with their right to say what they do say.

Of course it's provocative.

But the cry babies can just deal with it.

If someone wore a shirt saying "Fat people are cunts", would they be given such a harsh punishment? Should they be given such a harsh punishment? If not, why not?

What about if they say "politicians are cunts"? That's offensive. Should they be given a CPO too? If so, should I be packing my bags and heading down the probation office to scrub parks clean?
    it's down to recognising there are other people than yourself in the world and respecting their feelings too.

You mean like the bloke who has feelings that he wants to wear a shirt saying that Jesus is a cunt?
  • Options

You do have a very rich fantasy life don't you?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    They are two entirely separate things.

If I said "***** are cunts", "Yanks are cunts", "bitches are cunts" or "Christians are cunts" then that would be offensive,

< - snip - >

You mean like the bloke who has feelings that he wants to wear a shirt saying that Jesus is a cunt?

So as long as you're expressing an opinion of a particular person it's fine but groups are out?
  • Options
    So as long as you're expressing an opinion of a particular person it's fine but groups are out?

That's not what I said at all.

If you directly insult a person then that person has a right of reply, and a right to protect himself from slander and vitriol.

As I say, if Jesus himself wants to come down the police station and file a complaint, then he's perfectly welcome to do so.

Personally I think anyone should be allowed to say anything they want about anyone, so long as that person's personal freedom and safety are not compromised. If you want to call all Christians cunts then that is fine, same with all Muslims or Jews, so long as you do not tell other people to hurt them, or threaten to hurt them yourself.
  • Options
    I imagine that the reason was more to do with the word cunt than the bit about Jesus. At least this would be how the justify it. Even the FCUK logo has had a bit of flak. Some people are just too sensitive. On the other hand, if they're wearing it in public, kids might be around, so......
  • Options
    I imagine that the reason was more to do with the word cunt than the bit about Jesus. At least this would be how the justify it. Even the FCUK logo has had a bit of flak. Some people are just too sensitive. On the other hand, if they're wearing it in public, kids might be around, so......
    Good point. Outraging public decency and all that. There was a juror who got sent out of court by the judge after strolling in wearing an fcuk T-shirt.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Good point. Outraging public decency and all that.

But that's not what he was charged with, or prosecuted for. He was convicted of "religious hatred" (whatever that means), and given a significant punishment for it.

Anyway, why hasn't the vendor or manufacturer of the shirt been charged? Hmm?
  • Options
    I agree with Kermit 100%

If you have been offensive, there has to be someone offended. In this case there obviously isn't so it's lunacy all round.

If you choose to be offended by things it's your own fault. Go learn state management or get a sense of perspective or something.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    If you choose to be offended by things it's your own fault. Go learn state management or get a sense of perspective or something.

So nothing is ever offensive and offence is only brought into being when someone decides they wish to be offended by something?
  • Options
    So nothing is ever offensive and offence is only brought into being when someone decides they wish to be offended by something?

Of course that's the case.

The person who complained about the shirt chose to be offended, and chose to complain to the police about it. That person chose to be offended, and instead of being pandered to, they should be told to put their dummy back in their mouth and shut up.

There is nothing wrong with being offensive. There is a large and clear distance between being offensive and being abusive or threatening.

If you go into a church during morning mass shouting that Jesus is a Cunt then that is abusive to the people there, quite clearly. But wearing a t-shirt in the street is not abusive or threatening, a person chooses to be offended by it and chooses to go squealing to the police.

People's sensibilities should not be pandered to. They should be protected from abuse and threatening behaviour, but their sensibilties should not be protected.
  • Options
    Originally Posted by CptCoatHanger

What Kermit said. I'll just add how this happens.

When you are a baby, you are offended by nothing. As you grow and learn, your learn to be offended by various stimulus through copying others, association or whatever.

If I offend you, tough shit, because I didn't do it, you did it to yourself. Now, you can either moan like a big girl's blouse, or have the fun and freedom of unlearning a limiting behaviour.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    If I offend you, tough shit, because I didn't do it, you did it to yourself.
    :thumb: yes.

Now, you can either moan like a big girl's blouse, or have the fun and freedom of unlearning a limiting behaviour.
    I FIND THIS OFFENSIVE TOWARDS FAT GIRLS. :mad:
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    If you go into a church during morning mass shouting that Jesus is a Cunt then that is abusive to the people there, quite clearly. But wearing a t-shirt in the street is not abusive or threatening, a person chooses to be offended by it and chooses to go squealing to the police.

I wouldn't be calling them a cunt, i would only be abusing Jesus. If they happen to take offence then that's their problem not mine.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    What Kermit said. I'll just add how this happens.

When you are a baby, you are offended by nothing. As you grow and learn, your learn to be offended by various stimulus through copying others, association or whatever.

If I offend you, tough shit, because I didn't do it, you did it to yourself. Now, you can either moan like a big girl's blouse, or have the fun and freedom of unlearning a limiting behaviour.

You amuse, not offend me.
  • Options