Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Prom Dress

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have the whole year 11 prom thing coming up and the end of this year and I'm facing a dress dillema.. (even though it's quite a way off i thought i'd start looking now while i have some time and money...)

I dont have a clue where to start looking...

I dont want anything really girly or over the top..

Price range is up to £60...

Any suggestions...?

(and if it's any help i look like this.... )

Comments

• Options
    Monsoon and Debenhams usually do prom style dresses but Monsoon is very expensive and if you're lucky you'll find something reasonably priced I'll have a look on the Debenhams site.
  • Options
    There's a few nice ones here There's a half price sales on the Debenhams site not sure about the stores.
  • Options
    Wait for the sales after Christmas. Or keep popping back to high street stores like Monsoon as they have a sale at any excuse these days (Star of season, mid season, end of season, xmas, Bank holiday etc etc)
  • Options
    i am in love withthis off the debenhams website.
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote:
    There's a few nice ones here There's a half price sales on the Debenhams site not sure about the stores.

The one at the bottom - Red strapless diamanté and bustle back ball gown
    is incredible
  • Options
    try browns if there's one near u. my sis got her prom dress there for £20, reduced from £200
  • Options
    yeah as lea said, try monsoon. They are always having sales etc. on their dresses. You can pick up a suitable bargain in there.
  • Options
  • Options
    Can I be really really annoying and say:

You could get a much nicer dress for much cheaper and something you really want if you...um...make it yourself. My mum made the dress I wore at Prom when she was 19, and she made my twin sister's dress in her free time in the months leading up to Prom. As you have this much time, buy the material and make it. It'll be totally original then, and there won't be the chance that someone else has the same dress :).
  • Options
    I hired my leavers ball dress from a wedding shop who also supplied ball gowns for hire. If you don't have loads of money its a good way to save yourself some cash, at least then you can spend the money on the accessories that you will probably wear again in the nightclubs!
  • Options
    I got this from Monsoon last year reduced to 48 quid, which wasn't so bad :)
  • Options
    you lot are all smart you see, i spent 100quid on a dress for my leavers do, never gonna wear it again its just in my wardrobe looking pretty lol =( cant even wear it for a wedding or anything because its black so looks abit morbid!! =( x
  • Options
    j a n u a r y s a l e s. :thumb:

i got both my ball dresses that way. one was £20, reduced from £100, one was £15, reduced from £60. christmas is ball dress season. swoop afterwards.
  • Options
    also, i saw the most beautiful dress in the vintage section of topshop and im sure it wasn't that expensive. will prob be more original than others too.
  • Options
    I had a look through on the debenhams site and couldn't really see anything i liked... I like monsoon (but am a little afraid of the price tags...) I'll have a look and see if i can holdout until their next sale!
  • Options
    Ebay? I bought two dresses off there, both karen millen and both new. Ended up reselling one and making more than i bought it for as well :yes: Just avoid the asian countries which sell gorgeous dresses as they sting you at customs i think.