Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Iain Duncan Smith at my uni conservative society next week

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
anything i can ask? other than whom he's backing

Comments

• Options
    You could ask where he hopes the Tory party will be going in the next few years. How about whether he has any regrets from his time as party leader? Maybe you can ask him to give an evaluation of this dreadful Labour government - the one that's foisting 24-hour drinking on us, the one that tried to force a free-for-all on gambling that no one wanted, the one that's botched up the banning of fox hunting, the one that's failed to reform the NHS, the one that's dumbed down education in this country.... I can think of plenty to ask him.
  • Options
    Who the hell are you?
  • Options
    ''Are you Iain or Duncan then?'' *

(*copyright Paul Merton)
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Who the hell are you?

Son of a Battle of Britain fighter pilot - wrote an introduction to his father's memoirs. Failed novelist. Vaguely have a feeling he also did something in politics - can't quite remember what
  • Options
    Can you speak up, I can't hear you..
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Aladdin wrote:
    ''Are you Iain or Duncan then?'' *

(*copyright Paul Merton)

:lol:

Erm, ask him what its like being bald. And of course, is it a requirement for conservatine leaders to be thinning on top?
  • Options
    Ask him what he's doing these days?
  • Options
    i'd ask him if he was coming to the bar after with everyone.
  • Options
    i'd ask him if he was coming to the bar after with everyone.

I wouldn't .... he might say 'yes'
  • Options
    I met "Dunkers" during his final Sunday as leader. He seemed to have the whole weight of the world on his shoulders. It was a disgrace that he had to stand down without even contesting a general election.
  • Options
    A disgrace? If you don't mind your party slipping into third place, then yes, it was a disgrace.

IDS had all the charisma and political skills of a damp squib. It was breathtaking that he was elected leader in the first place.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    A disgrace? If you don't mind your party slipping into third place, then yes, it was a disgrace.

IDS had all the charisma and political skills of a damp squib. It was breathtaking that he was elected leader in the first place.

How do you know that the Tories would have slipped into third under Dunkers. Dunkers had some appealing policies and the party was making progress both morally and political under his leadership (until Howard pandered to the press' xenophobia about immigrants and asylum seekers)
  • Options
    I'm afraid the Tories had made no progress whatsoever with the public and voters since 1992, their popularity rates settling in the low 30s for more than a decade. No Tory leader has been able to change this... but at least with someone like Hague you could argue that they were at least trying (however badly) to be HM's Opposition. Has anyone remember IDS ever scoring any points in the House of Commons? Or even him saying anything, for that matter? You might as well put a statue as leader.

However I'll agree Howard wasn't much of an improvement... nor was moving party policy dangerously close to the far right.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I'm afraid the Tories had made no progress whatsoever with the public and voters since 1992, their popularity rates settling in the low 30s for more than a decade. No Tory leader has been able to change this... but at least with someone like Hague you could argue that they were at least trying (however badly) to be HM's Opposition. Has anyone remember IDS ever scoring any points in the House of Commons? Or even him saying anything, for that matter? You might as well put a statue as leader.

However I'll agree Howard wasn't much of an improvement... nor was moving party policy dangerously close to the far right.

You do make some good points I'll admit, particularly your last sentence. Howard only served to alienate those who traditional vote for the Tories (first-and-second generation immigrants). Also, under his own policies, his family would have been deported back to Romania anyway. I surprised they even went with the immigration theme under such circumstances. What an idiot Howard was!