Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

NI and income tax should be merged

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
why are they even kept seperate these days since NI doesnt fund the NHS and pensions by itself anyway?

would save a lot of time and calculating the 2 seperately

Comments

• Options
    Yep.

I'd whack council tax in, too. Seeing as local authorities get a significant amount from central government anyway.
  • Options
    makes sense, but people aren't generally clever enough to work out that it's the same amount of tax they pay - all they think is a bigger tax bill and will distrust the government. It's political suicide.
  • Options
    But the employer gets to pay NI too, so you'd have to factor that in somehow.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    But the employer gets to pay NI too, so you'd have to factor that in somehow.

remove employers NI and add it onto the profits tax they have
  • Options
    Even more tax to be avoided! Great!
  • Options

Fine if they make a profit. What about those who don't and those non-profit organisations?

The NHS is the biggest employer, yet wouldn't pay a penny under this idea...
  • Options
    The NHS is the biggest employer, yet wouldn't pay a penny under this idea...

It's very, very silly to have those people paid for by the "public purse" taxed at all. You should just get paid less in the first place and no tax. That way you could save on accounting too.

You could just put all tax onto income, but then there would be a fearful moan at exactly how much it really is. Governments rely on public apathy and ignorance to get away with their thefts so it can't happen.
  • Options
    bad seed wrote:
    I'd whack council tax in, too. Seeing as local authorities get a significant amount from central government anyway.

No, it should be the other way round, more of our tax burden should be local and less national. And more control should be moved from national to local, that way you'd actually get people interested in politics because it would directly affect them more.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    It's very, very silly to have those people paid for by the "public purse" taxed at all. You should just get paid less in the first place and no tax.

Let's not go there :mad:

Oh, bugger it... here's a scenario for you.

Minister A announces £9bn investment in NHS. This will be paid for by increase in employer's NI contribution. So £9bn goes in, £4bn goes out in NHS employer's liability.

Minister B announces £4bn investment in education. £4bn goes in, £3bn out in employers increase NI contributions

Minister C announces £3bn investment in Police. £3bn goes in etc etc etc

I love Government finance

NB Figures not wholly accurate
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    No, it should be the other way round, more of our tax burden should be local and less national. And more control should be moved from national to local, that way you'd actually get people interested in politics because it would directly affect them more.

If the local income tax idea would work properly, then I'd agree with that.

Actually, I like the local income tax idea because i'd pay sod all, but it sounds as if it'd involve scary paperwork (I've only just recovered from those bloody student assessment forms).