Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Housemates

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone know whether you can break a group tenancy agreement???

Thing is, I moved in with 4 other people last month & they're the most self obsessed people I've ever come across & its come to the point where even though i've made an effort, i can't stand to spend too much time with them or else I start to twitch.
I hate the area I'm living in; cars keep being broken into, & i'm scared for my safety & the house is old, shabby & freezing because our gas isnt working!

I am not happy & seriously need to sort it!

Comments

• Options
    Im not too sure hun...but you should make an appoitment with CAB (Citizens Advice Bureux) and see what they can do for you. They are very helpful once you get to see them. Good luck!!
  • Options
    it depends on what you agreed as a house when you signed the contract?
    we have a group tenancy, but before we all signed it we wrote up another agreement between us to say that if anyone wanted to move out before the letting was up then it was our responsibility to find a replacement housemate and pay bills and rent etc. until that replacement was found.
    I'm sure if you discuss it with your housemates rationally, and work out the best situation for you (it might be that they want to choose the new roomate but you continue paying rent until they get one, or if you're really lucky they'll split your rent!), that you will be able to get out of it fairly cleanly. Just remember to keep tha landlord informed of everything so a new tenancy agreement can be sorted etc.