Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Asthma

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've just been diagnosed with asthma.

Does anyone else here have it? When are your symptoms worse and which medications do you use?

I'd be particulalry pleased to read the experiences of anyone who was diagnosed in adulthood :)

Comments

• Options
    not really diagosed at adulthood, but i was frist treated at 13 years old. My symptons are worse when im playing sport, and worse still if its sport indoors. Ive got the blue inhaler, not sure what the medical name for it is!
  • Options
    I used to have asthma as a youngster, but it hasn't bothered me in years.

You'll want a brown and a blue inhaler. Use the brown daily and blue as required.
  • Options
    Oh i'm a hardcore asthmatic! though I was diagonosed at a very young age. 5 maybe? Anyways, I have my albuteral inhaler. though when I only am using that i use it about 3-4 times a day. So they also put me on singulair. That reduces it down to only needing my fast acting inhaler to 1-2 times a day. The dr always said that you should only need it a couple times every few days so they put me on adviar for a while and it worked great but i just flat out didn't want to take it anymore. there weren't any bad side effects, it was just too much of a hassle for me.
    During the spring and fall my asthma is really bad (as I have bad allergies too) when I exercise I always take a puff before. If I dont i'm guaranteed to need it during.
    It may seem like alot and a big hassle at first, and that the inhaler tastes like crap. but really its nothing. for pretty much my whole life its just been something i've done. its never even crossed my mind as anything major.

My brother has asthma too, but his only acts up in the bad allergy seasons and very occasionally during exercise. Same is with my sister.

Yay for asthma lets start a club. I always find it comforting when I know other people with asthma, I dont' know why but I do. Especially people that are neato.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    I used to have asthma as a youngster, but it hasn't bothered me in years.

You'll want a brown and a blue inhaler. Use the brown daily and blue as required.

ventolin/salbutamol - blue
    beclomethasone - brown

;)
  • Options
    my_name wrote:

Yay for asthma lets start a club. I always find it comforting when I know other people with asthma, I dont' know why but I do. Especially people that are neato.

Yey, a club!
  • Options
    Here's a club for you wheezies
    They even have a message board...

And, strictly speaking, it's beclometasone. ;)
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote:
    ventolin/salbutamol - blue
    beclomethasone - brown

;)

Oh I feel so left out of the overseas asthma knowledge. What are these?
  • Options
    I was diagonosed with asthma in december last year after contracting a chest infection but i have a family history of it on both sides. My asthma is worse in winter due to the coldness which makes me short of breath. I use the blue inhaler called ventolin. and i'm suppose to use a brown one called becotide but i find it gives me a really sore throat so i don't use it and managed fine on ventolin.
  • Options
    You should use your brown one regularly. If you find it gives you a sore throat - it shouldn't do - it is most likely due to your inhaler technique. Book an appointment with your practice nurse for advice.
  • Options
    Random question-what if you have a purple inhaler? Is it any different to the brown ones?
  • Options
    wow i want a purple one!
    with regards to the sore throat thing i was given a spacer to help reduce the sore throat but it didnt stop it completely but my asthma nurse did say sore throats aren't an uncommon side effect.
  • Options
  • Options
    Random question-what if you have a purple inhaler? Is it any different to the brown ones?
    It's a combination inhaler, used in moderately severe asthma. Is it called Seretide?
  • Options
    I started having asthma when I was around 7, it stopped at 13 and now I only have a crisis if I have a flu, otherwise it doesn't bother me at all!
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    It's a combination inhaler, used in moderately severe asthma. Is it called Seretide?

It is indeed. I've had brown ones, orange ones and now have purple ones.

In answer to the original question, I have had asthma since I was very young, apparently it was triggered when I had whooping cough as a baby. It doesn't bother me too much, usually when I've done a bit too much in terms of excercise or have been overly active.

My Dad was diagnosed with it when he was about 45 though and it hardly bothers him at all, he takes his inhalers before he plays sport (which he does quite a lot) and it doesn't affect him at all.