Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The Cost Of Cancer

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Interesting story about the financial impact of treatment for cancer.

Question can and should we do anything about this, if so what?

NB If you are in recepit of benefits, costs of public transport are reimbursed. Additionally the NHS provides free transport for anyone with "medical need"...

Comments

• Options
    I don't really understand the relevance of this.

Pretty much everyone will be seriously ill at some point (the only way you won't be is if you die suddenly)

Thus the issue is surely the comparative costs of different serious illnesses. Seeing as the main cost seems to be transport and lifestyle and that these again will apply fairly evenly then what is the point of focusing on cancer?
  • Options
    Also why on earth the focus on breast cancer in particular, what is different about that to other cancer?
  • Options
    If you are going to the hospital for treatment it seems quite mean for the hospital to charge you for parking there.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    If you are going to the hospital for treatment it seems quite mean for the hospital to charge you for parking there.

Not really when you consider the cost of upkeep/building of car parks. If the Hospital took on this costs then the money would need to come from somewhere.

The reality is that parking is used as a income generation scheme and so they are able to provide more services. Usually the car parks are managed by private companies who kick back some cash to the hospital...

Toadborg wrote:
    I don't really understand the relevance of this.

Me neither which is why I posted it. Unless they are trying to say that it's unfair... even then I don't understand the issue here. Do they expect the state to pick up the costs? Perhaps even through the NHS?
    Thus the issue is surely the comparative costs of different serious illnesses. Seeing as the main cost seems to be transport and lifestyle and that these again will apply fairly evenly then what is the point of focusing on cancer?

Because cancer is an emotive issue. I suspect that they are trying to say that "look, not only have these people got cancer, but they also have this huge financial burden as a result".
  • Options
    Buying a car is not even an indirect cost of having cancer. What a load of tosh.

Why didn't she just DNA her appointments like everyone else? :confused: