Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Homophobic murder in Clapham Common

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4346442.stm

Horrible story :no:

It's amazing that in the 21st century there are still such ignorant bigoted sub-human cunts :mad:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It says in that story that they haven't named the victim, which is odd because they had his face and name on the news this morning.

Anyway, a grim attack, almost more so because they didnt use weapons.
  • Options
    That story doesn't give any reason why this is being considered a "homophobic" attack though.

I have to wonder if this is just part of the fall-out of the who Lawrence Inquiry. We should remember that "just because" the victim is gay/black, it doesn't mean that this was the motive...

That said, if it was the motive in this case then we should truly be ashamed of the people which our society breeds...
  • Options
    Apparently others overheard certain comments and abuse from the area of the attack, it is this which is leading them to think its based on his sexuality.
  • Options
    It was my understanding (for what I had heard on the radio and read somewhere) that the man was cruising when he was attacked.

At the very least he was at a wooded area known and used by gay men for sexual encounters. You don't have any reason to be in that area unless you're going there. Even if someone just wanted to cross the common you would choose the asphalted and clear pathway found nearby, not the woods. I passed by with my bike only this morning. It is still cordoned off with police crime tape and you can see the forensics tent where presumably the body was found.

Chances are the two knuckle-draggers in question were there waiting a for a victim to show up, or had arranged to meet on the internet.
  • Options
    Again though, that doesn't explain what the motive actually was. It could also have been a robbery... a "crime of passion"... or other.

We really must be careful not to label crime in such a way. Put it this way, if I was killed by a gay black guy would the police (or you) automatically assume it was race related, or hetrophobia? Of course not - although I do note that the incidence of hetrophobia a non existant, but you get the point.

Whilst I agree that homophobia shouldn't be ignored, it also shouldn't be the first assumption. Discrimination comes in many forms...
  • Options
    More Information

Explains it better... stil, although one section is labelled "homophobic insults" there still isn't anything there which touches on this...
  • Options
    More Information

Explains it better... stil, although one section is labelled "homophobic insults" there still isn't anything there which touches on this...

A homophobic attack seems the most likely, though one hopes that any investigation will cover all angles.

Whether homophobic or not I hope they catch the bastards who did it and they spend the forseeable future slopping out.
  • Options
    Well, I say bring back hanging but people don't listen to me. Well, Apart from Kermit and Kentish but that's about it.
  • Options
    The majority of the British public want hanging brought back. It was abolished, after all, against public will, not long ago.
  • Options
    The majority of the British public want hanging brought back. It was abolished, after all, against public will, not long ago.

It's a mute argument though. European Human Rights legislation also outlaws it regardless of any national laws.

BTW When you can prove that the death sentence is a deterent, let's talk about it further...
  • Options
    I'm not sure it's the truth anyway. One or two straw polls conducted by the likes of the S*n in the aftermath of an 'evil paedo' killing a child would suggest many people want the death penalty back. I bet if there were to be rational debate followed by a referendum the result would be resounding 'no'.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I'm not sure it's the truth anyway. One or two straw polls conducted by the likes of the S*n in the aftermath of an 'evil paedo' killing a child would suggest many people want the death penalty back. I bet if there were to be rational debate followed by a referendum the result would be resounding 'no'.

You have such faith in the British public. :D

I suspect that the British people would happily not only bring back hanging, but criminal punishments which would make a Saudi fundamentalist blush.
  • Options
    Nah, I don't think it'd be like that (but perhaps I do indeed have a foolish good natured image of the British ;) ).

Sure, it's easy for a tabloid make a poll in the aftermath of, say, Soham, ask the right questions (and to the right people) and obtain the result they want. I still believe if there were to be genuine political debate followed by a national referemdum the public would do the right thing.
  • Options
    Well, I say bring back hanging but people don't listen to me. Well, Apart from Kermit and Kentish but that's about it.
    Eh? I don't support capital punishment. Even for grosteque crimes such as this one.

Kermit would kill a jay walker, I'll give you that.
  • Options
    Aladdin your attitude confuses me sometimes.

Your first response is incredibly angry (sub-human?, knuckle-draggers?) but then you go to 'evil paedo' S*n bashing and defencing the absense of the death penalty.......
  • Options
    I was taking the piss out of the S*n as a manipulator of the massess. No more, no less.

And no, I don't support the death penalty. Not even for paedophiles or homophobes who murder their victims.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

Sir Humphrey: "You know what happens: nice young lady comes up to you. Obviously you want to create a good impression, you don't want to look a fool, do you? So she starts asking you some questions: Mr. Woolley, are you worried about the number of young people without jobs?"
    Bernard Woolley: "Yes"
    Sir Humphrey: "Are you worried about the rise in crime among teenagers?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Do you think there is a lack of discipline in our Comprehensive schools?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Do you think young people welcome some authority and leadership in their lives?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Do you think they respond to a challenge?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Would you be in favour of reintroducing National Service?"
    Bernard Woolley: "Oh...well, I suppose I might be."
    Sir Humphrey: "Yes or no?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Of course you would, Bernard. After all you told you can't say no to that. So they don't mention the first five questions and they publish the last one."
    Bernard Woolley: "Is that really what they do?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Well, not the reputable ones no, but there aren't many of those. So alternatively the young lady can get the opposite result."
    Bernard Woolley: "How?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Mr. Woolley, are you worried about the danger of war?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Are you worried about the growth of armaments?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Do you think there is a danger in giving young people guns and teaching them how to kill?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Do you think it is wrong to force people to take up arms against their will?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Would you oppose the reintroduction of National Service?"
    Sir Humphrey: "There you are, you see Bernard. The perfect balanced sample."
  • Options
    and for the serious post ;)

well i havent seen anything to suggest its a homophobic attack, it could of been a random act of severe violence, however we must remember all crimes are hate crimes...
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Eh? I don't support capital punishment. Even for grosteque crimes such as this one.

For some reason I had you put down as supporting the death penealty. Oh well, my mistake.
  • Options
    scum
  • Options
    Sir Humphrey: "You know what happens: nice young lady comes up to you. Obviously you want to create a good impression, you don't want to look a fool, do you? So she starts asking you some questions: Mr. Woolley, are you worried about the number of young people without jobs?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Are you worried about the rise in crime among teenagers?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Do you think there is a lack of discipline in our Comprehensive schools?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Do you think young people welcome some authority and leadership in their lives?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Do you think they respond to a challenge?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Would you be in favour of reintroducing National Service?"
    Bernard Woolley: "Oh...well, I suppose I might be."
    Sir Humphrey: "Yes or no?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Of course you would, Bernard. After all you told you can't say no to that. So they don't mention the first five questions and they publish the last one."
    Bernard Woolley: "Is that really what they do?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Well, not the reputable ones no, but there aren't many of those. So alternatively the young lady can get the opposite result."
    Bernard Woolley: "How?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Mr. Woolley, are you worried about the danger of war?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Are you worried about the growth of armaments?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Do you think there is a danger in giving young people guns and teaching them how to kill?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Do you think it is wrong to force people to take up arms against their will?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Would you oppose the reintroduction of National Service?"
    Sir Humphrey: "There you are, you see Bernard. The perfect balanced sample."

Theif I posted that first in the entertainment forum, I bet you copied and pasted my post.
  • Options
    Nah, I don't think it'd be like that

I think that if you ventured outside your multicultural obsessed London bubble you would find that the majority of the British public are right wing and authoritarian.
  • Options
    The North, rightwing? LOL
  • Options
    I think that if you ventured outside your multicultural obsessed London bubble you would find that the majority of the British public are right wing and authoritarian.

Which explains why the right-wing party at the last election polled about 1/3 of votes cast I suppose...
  • Options
    They voted for New Labour, which is twice as authoritarian and right wing on crime and social order as Major and Thatcher ever were.
  • Options
    Indeed, Labour is a right-wing authoritarian party. Yet you don't vote for them... I don't disagree with the authoritarian aspect but they aren't right-wing.

But before Blair? What do you say about the voting pattern then? Even Thatcher never got more than 50% of the popular vote...
  • Options

Oh dear, you really are quite deluded.
  • Options
    They voted for New Labour, which is twice as authoritarian and right wing on crime and social order as Major and Thatcher ever were.

What was the election turnout? I think its fairer to say that the majority of people know that all political parties are shit.
  • Options
    Indeed, Labour is a right-wing authoritarian party. Yet you don't vote for them... I don't disagree with the authoritarian aspect but they aren't right-wing.

Economically, they are right wing.
  • Options
    Theif I posted that first in the entertainment forum, I bet you copied and pasted my post.

no actually i saw it on yes minister the other day they show it on bbc4 or something

its the episode that also has the 'in principle the cabinet agrees but in principle the cabinet thinks its in the best principled interests to conduct a full review'

that sort of thing, bloody fantastic episode

we just have great taste :thumb: