Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

being hungry but not wanting to eat

I keep feeling really hungry, but really not fancying eating anything. I didnt eat today till about 4pm, and then i had 2 small slices of pizza and couldnt eat anymore - usually id have another slice, and something with it, and maybe a yoghurt after.
Now im really hungry again and ive had a slice of toast and honey, which I only ate as it was the only thing i could even vaguely feel like eating, but now im still hungry but i just dont fancy ANYTHING. Things just dont taste that great. They taste the same as ever, but im just not getting any pleasure from it, so would rather not bother.
The other thing is, I keep thinking, hey, I wonder if ill go below 8 stone.
I do go through bulimic phases sometimes, but its not been that bad lately. I did do it a few times a few weeks ago, but not at the moment.
This is a bit unusual for me, as ive always thought id make a really shit anorexic because i just love food, but i dont want to force myself to eat, because then i wont be able to see whether i can get under 8 stone.
Im not sure why im writing this really
Am i fucked up?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    How are you generally?
  • Options
    fine, ive had a hellish 2 months but im actually feeling more positive than ever now. It just feels weird because i really would eat if i could actually think of something i fancied.
  • Options
    No no no of course your not fucked up, as far as I can tell from your previous posts you are going through an extremely stressful time, this is obviously a repercussion of how stressed you have been. You have a lot to think about at the moment and worrying about things can undoubtly make people not want to eat even though they are hungry. You should surround yourself with as much support as possible. You obviously should try to eat but if this persists you should of course see a doctor as this is not healthy for your system and you won't be recieving all the vitamins to help keep up your strength.
  • Options
    And it's just today that you've lost your appetite?
  • Options
    i'm going through a not fancying much food stage too, and sometimes i wonder if i'll get below 8 stone (which is was i roughly am anyway)
    thing is, i think i look abit thinner, but i don't really weigh any less
  • Options
    but im actually feeling ok now. Ive got a little house that im moving into this week. I feel really excited about moving and being independent. Ive kind of started seeing someone else. I feel like im pretty much over my husband.
    the last 3 days I just havent eaten much. I am still eating a bit, but its fuck all really.
  • Options
    It's entirely normal to lose your appetite when you have stressful things going on - moving house, the end of a marriage, contemplating a new relationship. Are you worried about it?
  • Options
    is it that feeling where you're really hungry but only for something very specific, and you don't have any?

if it is would you eat something if it was the thing you want?

if you wouldn't, are you using 'don't fancy anything' as an excuse not to eat anything?
  • Options
    well I cant actually think of anything i do fancy.
    I am sort of half worried because I recognise the `oooh maybe i can get below 8 stone` feeling all too well.
    The lack of appetite is real, but im still feeling hungry.
    Itd be easier if i wasnt getting pangs.
    Im probably silly to write this, but its a bit late now.
  • Options
    i know that 'wonder if i'll get down to x stone' feeling well. the thing is, if you don't eat properly, then yeah, you probably will get below 8 stone. but what does that prove?
  • Options
    i know.
    I think i am just a bit fucked up. I just cant seem to go without this ED for more than a few months, and the stupid thing is, even when im eating loads, my weight never seems to fluctuate more than a few pounds so im not even sure what its all about.
  • Options
    wow you're over your husband?
    its been a year today since i was ditched and i'm still not over it :(
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    wow you're over your husband?
    its been a year today since i was ditched and i'm still not over it :(

Adults tend to be more pragmatic about things.
  • Options
    well yes. If youd asked me a week ago, i was still very angry and upset, but now I feel like ive had a lucky escape. I wouldnt go back if he begged me. We`re getting on fine and amicably, buti honestly feel like hes actually been brave to admit it wasnt going anywhere. Hes done me a favour, and the thought that i could have been stuck in the relationship forever is actually quite scary.
    Ive never felt as free.
  • Options
    Having a similar time myself at uni. Stressed out over work and relationships and I'm really not hungry. When I do eat, I eat rubbish. :confused:
  • Options
    Just be careful. Don't use eating as a control over your life. You can't control everything around you, by controlling your eating your giving yourself something to focus on.
  • Options
    Just be careful. Don't use eating as a control over your life. You can't control everything around you, by controlling your eating your giving yourself something to focus on.
    I know.
    I dont think my ed has come back, but its like it always sits on my shoulder a bit, just waiting in the wings.
    Im not very good at controlling my eating actually. as i said, id be a shit anorexic, but it just worries me a little, that i still get excited at the thought of losing weight, when according to my BMI im already underweight.
    I dont think my ED will ever take over my life again, but I wonder does anyone ever really totally get over it, or is it something im always going to be prone to now and again.
  • Options
    I know.
    I dont think my ed has come back, but its like it always sits on my shoulder a bit, just waiting in the wings.
    Im not very good at controlling my eating actually. as i said, id be a shit anorexic, but it just worries me a little, that i still get excited at the thought of losing weight, when according to my BMI im already underweight.
    I dont think my ED will ever take over my life again, but I wonder does anyone ever really totally get over it, or is it something im always going to be prone to now and again.
    I personally don't think its something that can completely go. No matter what those who have recovered say. Its always at the back of my mind, I have those odd days where everything seems to come back. Even if you don't act on the impulses and desires you still have the thoughts.
  • Options
    thats what I think. When its going good, I still have the thoughts, but i dont do anything about them. When its not too good, I revert back to old ways.
    I just weighed myself and it said 7st 10. I just got this feeling like woohoo, ive beaten my challenge.
  • Options
    And then the next step is 7st 8, then 7st 6, you can't keep thinking "woohoo", you need to think uhoh lets go have lots of cakes:D
  • Options
    if i thought i could swallow a cake, then id go and have one.
  • Options
    I know exactly what your saying, I was like this last week, its psychological and probably down to the stress your under, even if you don't recognise you are. I got to the point last week where I wasn't eating anything. Everytime I went to get something nothing appealed, and then I actually felt sick. You need to keep forcing the food down, and address why your feeling this way.
  • Options

i think even if you do get over it it still hovers somewhere in the background.

i'm what they call recovered. i'm pretty skinny at the mo, not through my own doing, and although i do want to get back to my normal weight and i do eat loads (of shit) there is a part of me that fears getting bigger again. and there is a part of me that thinks i could still use a few pounds off here and there. i'm able to ignore it (and i am ignoring it) but it is still there.

and it's puzzling to me why i would want to be skinny. i don't look better. i don't feel better. i have been told by pretty much everyone that i am way less attractive this way. no one's impressed by it at all, and i just don't get why i am. just a little bit.

everyone has their demons, i guess. the trick is to make yourself control them.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    and it's puzzling to me why i would want to be skinny. i don't look better. i don't feel better. i have been told by pretty much everyone that i am way less attractive this way. no one's impressed by it at all, and i just don't get why i am. just a little bit.
    Thats the thing with me too. I think i look best when im about 8 and a half stone (im 5ft6)
    If i see myself in photos, I feel surprised by how skinny I look, because I dont think i look that skinny in real life, and i start getting panicky if i go too far over 8 stone even though i know I look better, and less gaunt if im a bit more than that.
  • Options
    Im going through a similar thing too, its bugging me. But i didnt see the point in making a thread. I know the likely answer-speak to me gp.
    Im 5'6 and about 8 1/2 st too

Ive been very aware of how much junk i eat but it didnt bother me too much. Until the other day. Something just clicked and now im hell bent on restricting what i eat. Im crap at knowing how many calories are in what but i estimated about 1200cals a day ive been eating.
    Feel that i deserve the punishment and am conforted by the control i feel i have over it. But im such a failure i cant even do that right. Today i ate a beef salad sandwich and a danish pastry. Ive been busy in work all day then had to go see my bf in hospital. Was really pleased and didnt want to eat anything else. But was hungry so ate a steak pie. then a chocolate eclair(got them free from work so they were sitting around near me). Im so f**king annoyed at myself. Really wish I had eaten either of them 2.
    I know this isnt a healthy thought pattern, but i dont think theres much that can be done. Ive been having therapy for over a year for something else so i suppose itll just be something else wrong with me that doesnt seem to be helped.