Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

confidentiality

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
(hypothetical situation)

if someone at school, ie a teacher, finds out that you are still self-harming, and the school is primarily designed for people with that sort of problem, do they have a responsibility to tell your parents or psychiatrist?

if you tell your psychiatrist the same thing, do they have to tell your parents?

it's probably on thesite already somewhere but you all love me so you can stretch to a personal answer ;)

Comments

• Options
    Your psychiatrist no.

Your school maybe. I know my school had to tell our parents. But I dunno about yours.
  • Options
    a medical professional can only break a confidence if they suspect either than you are a serious danger to yourself or to others.

no sure on teacher confidentiality rules. i wouldn't have though it's as strict, so it'd be more along the 'in your best interests' line. i'm sure someone will come along and correct me though :p
  • Options
    I'm sure a teacher would mention it to the Head and then they would decide what needed to be done.

Why are you asking?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Why are you asking?

because i want to know ;)
  • Options
    SupaStar wrote:
    because i want to know ;)
    Why do you want to know? ;)
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Why do you want to know? ;)

incase i ever find myself in that hypothetical situation ;)

yes, i am infact in that hypothetical situation. i suck ;(
  • Options
    I think you should find out your school's rules. If it was a regular school then I'd know, but as your school is different, I don't know.

Hope you're ok sweetheart :heart:. And you don't suck.
  • Options
    to be fair the only way i would find out is by asking and that would kind of give the game away.
  • Options
    Hmmmm. You have a good point.
  • Options
    There's no shame in seeking help, and you can speak to your teachers in confidence if you ask them not to disclose something you tell them. If you can't speak to a teacher, find someone you can talk to - parent, GP, key worker etc.
  • Options
    hey there
    I'm afraid I'm not entirely sure about your answer either, but I'll endeavour to find out and let you know tomorrow. I'm pretty sure, like others have said, that schools can tell parents if they decide that's the best scenario all round...

On that subject, though, would it really be so bad for them to find out? Mopst parents just want what's best for their kids - they might be upset at first, but once they've calmed down I'm sure they'd be really supportive and try and help you. And surely that can only be a good thing? I know it's easy for me to say when I've got no idea about your situation, but it really does help to have people onside when you're going through tough times like this.

Alternatively, if you decide not tell your school/parents, perhaps you'd consider talking anonymously to someone?

This page has lots of suggestions for places you can talk to for support - the bristol crisis service for women are particularly experienced in helping self harmers. Take a look at this page too.

Take care ;)
  • Options
    thanks a lot spanner.

it's difficult because my school is a special school for people with health problems so they might have different policies. they've called my mum about self harm before and i really don't want it to happen again because it makes her so upset. i think she feels like a failed parent. i've been a self harmer for 2 years and my mum thinks i'm over it. she also thinks i'm getting better with my depression but right now things aren't too good. i'm cutting every day and generally feeling shite. but that's not the point.

anyway, thank you
    jane
    -x-
  • Options
    if i were you id speak to the teacher personally. at the end of the day *most* would only want what is best for you which might in this case not be to tell your mum. mine didnt. i told them how much more shit it would cause and my parents werent told.
  • Options
    I know my school definately had it as a rule that if they knew that anyone was self harming they had to let the parents know. It was the same for me but I begged them not to tell my parents for various reasons and they said they wouldn't without telling me but it wasn't a straight "no" answer. I think in the end they didn't because I showed that I was trying to stop, etc. Why don't you want your parents to know? The best thing I did was tell my teacher because he helped me a lot and talked to me about various things and it really helped me. Maybe your parents might do the same for you? I don't know your situation though
  • Options
    Sorry I didn't come back yesterday. You might find this link helpful

Take care