Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Sweet!

A PROFESSIONAL couple are £11,000 out of pocket after they tried to dodge two £60 speeding fines by inventing a driver from Bulgaria to fool police.

The wife even flew to Bulgaria to send a postcard to her husband from the phantom driver.

Police exposed the "elaborate" web of lies of chartered surveyors Stewart and Cathryn Bromley, who dreamed up the Bulgarian in a complex scam to escape paying the fines.
http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/men/news/s/177/177871_the_speeding_lie_that_cost_11000.html

That'll teach the tight-fisted greedy cheats :D
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Strange thing is, they likely spent several times more than the value of the original two fines in round trip airfare to Bulgaria alone.

Odd people indeed.
  • Options
    Silly buggers.

That is amusing, though.
  • Options
    That'll teach the tight-fisted greedy cheats :D

That's disturbing, Al. It's not like they actually did anyone any harm is it?

Still it is pretty idiotic, there are allsorts of loophole websites and so on out there if you really want to not pay.
    Strange thing is, they likely spent several times more than the value of the original two fines in round trip airfare to Bulgaria alone.

Perhaps not if the insurance on a merc is taken into consideration.
  • Options
    Surely the cost of going to Bulgaria was more than the cost of the fines?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    That's disturbing, Al. It's not like they actually did anyone any harm is it?
    They could've done by their unlawful driving. That's why fines are there in the first place.
  • Options
    Unless they were speeding in a residential area then fining them at all is fucking disgusting.

Motorways should be declassified from speed restrictions. If it's safe and legal for me to drive a Golf at 120 in Germany then why isn't it here?
  • Options
    It depends on the road and the conditions, of course.

There are many dual carriageway roads that are not motorways. There is always an argument about giving a bit of licence on the speed limit (say doing 70 on a 60 zone), but someone doing 100 on a dual carriageway (not to mention 50mph 'single lane' roads) deserves to have the book thrown at them.

And of course it's much worse if they are in an urban area.
  • Options
    They could've done by their unlawful driving.

Could have - didn't. In fact, they proved that it's safe to speed. That's why speeding fines are stupid in the first place.

Here's an interesting one for you - if you are innocent until proven guilty, then how can you be stopped for speeding until you have been convicted?
    There are many dual carriageway roads that are not motorways. There is always an argument about giving a bit of licence on the speed limit (say doing 70 on a 60 zone), but someone doing 100 on a dual carriageway (not to mention 50mph 'single lane' roads deserves to have the book thrown at them.

Because.......?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Could have - didn't.
    That, I'm afraid, is not the point.

And I know where you are trying to go with this, but frankly I am not interested in embarking in an libertarian/utopian argument about the 'existence' of laws. Break the law- pay for it if caught.
  • Options
    That, I'm afraid, is not the point.

Then why does the law exist at all then?
    And I know where you are trying to go with this, but frankly I am not interested in embarking in an libertarian/utopian argument about the 'existence' of laws.

No, it's been done to death i quite agree, you failed to provide evidence for any of your assertions and still clung to your beliefs, like a good fanatic should. Meh...whatever - your loss, entirely.

This, however, isn't about that.
    Break the law- pay for it if caught.

Even stupid laws? Even unfair laws? Even laws that contradict other laws? Are you some kind of robot that just does what it's told?

Look - the law (leaving all my usual caveats aside for a moment) is there to protect us from each other or some shit like that. It shouldn't be a revenue grabbing exercise or a tax on those in a hurry.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    not to mention 50mph 'single lane' roads

If the limit is 50 then it's normally there because the road has had accidents, yeah. The national single-carriageway limit is 60, and on country lanes I know and can see on I'll quite happily go a bit faster.

But on motorways and grade-separated dual carriageways going fast is not an issue. The "safety" cameras there are simply there as cash cows for the police.

In urban areas speeding is not safe, and should be punished. But its odd, isn't it, how all the speed cameras are on fast roads, not outside my house where a six-year-old boy got mown down by a speeder last summer.

I'm just sweating on a speeding fine at the minute, I was doing 75mph on a dual carriageway to get past a digger and I didn't see the "safety" van openly hiding in a tree. They should be out catching muggers and rapists.
  • Options
    knlintock, given your view on laws, would it have mattered if the driver had killed someone?
  • Options
    knlintock, given your view on laws, would it have mattered if the driver had killed someone?

Yes, of course it would. I would fully support a law that allowed restitution, punishment for those who had done genuine damage and which was served up under a real system of justice. - i.e. having genuine plaintiffs, defendants, no corporations yadda yadda used to be called common law until we were all sold into equity to the banks.

If the speeders in this case had killed or injured someone and they had been going over what I would have in place as guidelines, then they would be treated as negligent murderers or guilty of assault. To say that breaking the guidelines is a finable offence but that breaking them and killing someone isn't murder is to fall between two stools.

It would then be up to individuals to decide whether doing life/providing ample restitution was worth it to go that little bit quicker.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Then why does the law exist at all then?

No, it's been done to death i quite agree, you failed to provide evidence for any of your assertions and still clung to your beliefs, like a good fanatic should. Meh...whatever - your loss, entirely.

This, however, isn't about that.

Even stupid laws? Even unfair laws? Even laws that contradict other laws? Are you some kind of robot that just does what it's told?

See below:

Look - the law (leaving all my usual caveats aside for a moment) is there to protect us from each other or some shit like that.
    I rest my case
  • Options
    I rest my case

You should do some thinking in future first though, eh?

These laws protect nobody.

No one was hurt, so there was no one to protect or to get restitution for.
  • Options
    Don't try to be obtuse klintock, it won't work...

Those laws protect road users from twats thinking they are good drivers and can drive at any speed they want, resulting in many of those muppets losing control and killing themselves and someone else.

Enough people die due to useless speeding tossers as it is.

Perhaps the couple in question were only going 5 mph over the limit, in which case you could argue the fine is overzelaous/unfair. But perhaps they were doing 75mph in a 40mph, or 50 in a 30. In which case the fine is very deserving indeed.
  • Options
    But why the fuck am I wasting my breath? You are one of those people who think there is no crime in shooting bullets at people, so far as you don't hit them, right? :rolleyes:

Utopia is that way > > >
  • Options
    But who would sit in judgement klintock? There is no country, there is no government and there is no society. That leaves just two people, the plaintiff and the defendant....
  • Options
    Break the law- pay for it if caught.

How very authoritarian of you.
  • Options
    Don't try to be obtuse klintock, it won't work...

Thank you for the compliment.
    Those laws protect road users from twats thinking they are good drivers and can drive at any speed they want, resulting in many of those muppets losing control and killing themselves and someone else.

Really? Then how come this couple got fined? Oh that's right they were speeding! The law stops nothing. You can only make things right afterwards. But why am I wasting my breath? You are one of those people who thinks that potential injury is the same as actual injury, and that imaginary people are the same as real ones. :rolleyes:
    Enough people die due to useless speeding tossers as it is.

I thought the law stopped them?
    Perhaps the couple in question were only going 5 mph over the limit, in which case you could argue the fine is overzelaous/unfair.

Not at all. I would argue that it was totally fucking pointless. Unless you wanted some cash from them of course, which is what this is all about.
    But perhaps they were doing 75mph in a 40mph, or 50 in a 30. In which case the fine is very deserving indeed.

In your opinion, which is all the law is anyway, someone's opinions, written down. Now, why does the thought of using violence to enforce opinion on people leave me cold but not bother you?
    But why the fuck am I wasting my breath? You are one of those people who think there is no crime in shooting bullets at people, so far as you don't hit them, right? :rolleyes:

Well, I actually think there is no crime at all, but that's been done to death as we already said.
    Utopia is that way > > >

I am grounded in the real world because I have no choice Al. You are the one who can see a "better tomorrow" and are rushing off to get there.
  • Options
    I thought you right wingers were the ones bent on law and order...

Funny how the very same people who always bang about zero tolerance about crime and blah blah blah appear to demand the right to break the law and not be punished when it comes to something they enjoy- like speeding.
  • Options
    But who would sit in judgement klintock? There is no country, there is no government and there is no society. That leaves just two people, the plaintiff and the defendant....

Back in Athens, there were no fixed judges. People chose someone they both considered to be a neutral third party. There are other ways, of course.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

Really? Then how come this couple got fined? Oh that's right they were speeding! The law stops nothing. You can only make things right afterwards. But why am I wasting my breath? You are one of those people who thinks that potential injury is the same as actual injury, and that imaginary people are the same as real ones. :rolleyes:
    Oh dear dear dear... you all come pre-programmed with the same uber-bizarre concepts don't you? You sound like a clone of monocrat. Next you're going to tell me only physical injuries are real and that psychological damage "doesn't exist"...

I thought the law stopped them?
    The law stops many would-be speeders, yes. And those who don't and get caught, pay for it. Simple as.

If there were no speed laws (and indeed traffic laws) the number of dead people on the road due to negliglent/incompetent drivers would by tens of times higher. Undeniable fact.

And as such, the speeding laws protect you, me and others from many potential idiots losing control due to excessive speed and causing accidents. Undeniable fact.

Speeding laws = protecting road users and pedestrians alike.

Undeniable fact

End of.

In your opinion, which is all the law is anyway, someone's opinions, written down.
    Welcome to planet earth. I'm sorry it has to be this way for you... It truly must be hell.
    Now, why does the thought of using violence to enforce opinion on people leave me cold but not bother you?
    What violence would that be?

Well, I actually think there is no crime at all, but that's been done to death as we already said.
    Well I'm glad it is only a few of you in the entire world who think in such way...
  • Options

I don't know how much flights cost, but it may have been worth it to avoid the licence points (especially if he already had some).
  • Options
    Oh dear dear dear... you all come pre-programmed with the same uber-bizarre concepts don't you? You sound like a clone of monocrat. Next you're going to tell me only physical injuries are real and that psychological damage "doesn't exist"...

Given what I do all day that's not too likely is it? I am not programmed, quite the reverse.
    The law stops many would-be speeders, yes.

I doubt that. I don't know many who don't speed, as point of fact, they just do it as conditions allow. Not needing laws to know what's sensible like most folks.
    If there were no speed laws (and indeed traffic laws) the number of dead people on the road due to negliglent/incompetent drivers would by tens of times higher.

I say it would be ten times lower. Think about it.
    And as such, the speeding laws protect you, me and others from many potential idiots losing control due to excessive speed and causing accidents. Undeniable fact.

I see your "undeniable" and raise you a "how about some evidence". You are talking bobbins. Idiots remain idiots regardless of the law. Speeders speed despite it.
    Speeding laws = protecting road users and pedestrians alike.

How, exactly? Apart from in your head, that is.
    Welcome to planet earth. I'm sorry it has to be this way for you... It truly must be hell.

It's funny but most people describe me as "jolly". :) Quite why you think I would be having a hard time is beyond me. I always think of you as being thin and worn in some way, with all those fictions running around your head.
    Well I'm glad it is only a few of you in the entire world who think in such way...

Such a shame I am in the good company of most of your "leaders" who also only see realpolitik as the only barrier to doing what they want.

Still, if you are happy to throw your support behind those who wish to use violence against those who have done nothing wrong, you are free to do so.
  • Options
    speed cameras have ...forced me into driving slower ...fact.
  • Options

Is that just when you are near them like everyone else? Most of the drivers I see immediately put their foot down once they are past them to make up their lost time.

Quite how average speed and road awareness would decrease if you removed all the laws I would love to hear.

Anyway - have a real world example of how removing trafic laws and signs makes the whole thing work better from our friends the dutch -

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.12/traffic.html
    In Denmark, the town of Christianfield stripped the traffic signs and signals from its major intersection and cut the number of serious or fatal accidents a year from three to zero.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix

Intersting Aritcle in Auto Express, ( I reads it.) only a small percentage of them actually work. So there, most lack any film.

Gotta laugh at that though... I fought the Law, and the Law won. I fought the Law, and the Law won. :D
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Is that just when you are near them like everyone else? Most of the drivers I see immediately put their foot down once they are past them to make up their lost time.

]
    of course.

which means if they actualy bothered to put them in therightplace they could have good effect but they never do.
  • Options