Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

what is the world coming to?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
......when you can't even use the word fat to describe someone?!

Story.

i really despair, it won't be long before they start producing newspeak dictionaries i'm telling you.......complete joke.......do fat people actually object to being called fat? what about skinny people, is the word skinny offensive? what the fuck is going on these days?

ETA: how should it even be in the police's jurisdiction (our public servants remember) to tell us what language we can and cannot use? this has scary implications........

Comments

• Options
    I know, what the hell do they want us to say? Large? I'd describe a heavyweight boxer as large, but they're not fat. Things like this get ridiculous. I know plenty of white people who are clearly nervous about describing someone as black, for example. They'll go through every other possible description before using black through risk of 'offending'.
  • Options
    I find the assertion that I can't use what words I like offensive.

So I guess that's that settled then.
  • Options
    Is it ok to use things like 'lard bucket' and 'fat tits'?
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    A few weeks ago I found out that the word "motherboard" isn't used anymore to describe that part of a computer, because it was considered to be sexist... "Use 'mainboard' or 'parentboard' instead." :banghead:
    I still use "motherboard", that was how I learned it and I don't see anything wrong with it.
  • Options
    newspeak

Don't you realise that it is the Liberal establishment (New Labour) and its servents (Ian Blair, the PC Brigade) that impose this Newspeak on us? Look how they transformed the police from harmless Bobby on the beat to the thugs who shot Menezes seven times in the head. When ID cards are introduced we will soon become a police state, so think long and hard about voting for the Democrats or Labour party.
  • Options
    Don't you realise that it is the Liberal establishment (New Labour) and its servents (Ian Blair, the PC Brigade) that impose this Newspeak on us? Look how they transformed the police from harmless Bobby on the beat to the thugs who shot Menezes seven times in the head. When ID cards are introduced we will soon become a police state, so think long and hard about voting for the Democrats or Labour party.

i don't think you get it........the direction we are headed in is independent of any one party or political movement, it's all part of the wider attempt to homogenise thought and speech, so we can be more easily told what to think and say........fucking scary when you think about it.
  • Options
    if at the airport you are treated like shit and your flight leaves without you cos of some other arseholes fault ...you are only allowed to talk to the airline staff ...if you shout ...they call the police.
    is that realy what the police are for?
    shouting is now as good as illegal.
  • Options
    Don't you realise that it is the Liberal establishment (New Labour) and its servents (Ian Blair, the PC Brigade) that impose this Newspeak on us?

Of course, those of us who lived through the 80s will recognise that much opf this "newspeak" has actually been around for some time before Blair, Blair and New Labour...
    Look how they transformed the police from harmless Bobby on the beat to the thugs who shot Menezes seven times in the head.

:confused:

This is relevant how?
    When ID cards are introduced we will soon become a police state, so think long and hard about voting for the Democrats or Labour party.

Don't the Tories support the introduction of ID cards...?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Is it ok to use things like 'lard bucket' and 'fat tits'?

I hope do! :D

Honestly. Political correctness is bullshit. What to my larger freinds who cal themselves fat? Will they be punished? Ha.

Man Boobies!
  • Options
    Zalbor wrote:
    A few weeks ago I found out that the word "motherboard" isn't used anymore to describe that part of a computer, because it was considered to be sexist... "Use 'mainboard' or 'parentboard' instead." :banghead:
    I still use "motherboard", that was how I learned it and I don't see anything wrong with it.

Utter bollocks. Look - http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Products.ASP?CatID=28&Category=Motherboards&Thumbnails=yes
  • Options
    Don't you realise that it is the Liberal establishment (New Labour) and its servents (Ian Blair, the PC Brigade) that impose this Newspeak on us?

Actually, I think you'll find that most of this "PC" stuff was invented by the right wing tabloids in the 80's to discredit Labour councils.
    Look how they transformed the police from harmless Bobby on the beat to the thugs who shot Menezes seven times in the head.

Are you on crack? This doesn't even make sense. Ian Blair transformed the police into thugs? Actually, you might have a point there...
    When ID cards are introduced we will soon become a police state, so think long and hard about voting for the Democrats or Labour party.

I wouldn't dream of voting for either.
  • Options
    viz will be banned soon then.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Blagsta wrote:
    Ah, good. It must have been just the book I was reading. Written by a non-native American, of course.
  • Options
    viz will be banned soon then.

Better not. :(
  • Options
    better cite me a ticket, because my old man is a fatass. :D
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Better not. :(
    or maybe they'll have to rename the fat slags?
  • Options
    Hmmm.... "Ample-bodied women of gratuitous sexual appetites"?
  • Options
    Hmmm.... "Ample-bodied women of gratuitous sexual appetites"?

:lol: Yes!