Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The bird flu is coming... scared yet?

Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm completely not bothered, maybe I should be, but I'm not. Its a bit like that other disease which was in the Far East a while back, I cant even remember the name of that now.
  • Options
    Just rushed out to buy the Christmas turkey, well you never know do you?
  • Options
    Just rushed out to buy the Christmas turkey, well you never know do you?

:lol: :thumb:
  • Options
  • Options
    No - but I'd be quaking in my boots if I was a sparrow.
  • Options
    The future is certainly not bright for British chickens if any infected migratory bird is detected in the country...

Foot and Mouth part II.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Im not a bird... so nah, im not. Not yet, anyhows... but what if that strain of Spanish Flu the US Military have been breading (For whatever reason, I wonder why they did it... hmm? Chemical Warfare was naughty, I thought... but then again, Agent Orange.) Does get out, and it could well do so easily. Or if this Bird Flu evolves, which I suppose is a chance.

Hell, not worried a jot. If I die, I die. End of.

Only thing is, chicken burger prices are going to rise! Fucksocks!
  • Options
    Another media hyped pile of crap.

We are right to be concerned about the possibility of a health epidemic. The impact on us all would be horrendous. However, this disease has been around for several years now. Although hundreds of thousands of birds have been affected, very few humans have. At present although the disease can migrate from bird to human, it cannot migrate between humans.
  • Options
    SARS?

Indeed, remember the media stories about that? Do you know how many cases there were in the UK?

Also, look at the media reporting of MRSA. One would think that if you get near a hospital then you will catch it. Anyone know the actual rate of infection for hospital patients - what % of people going into hospital actually have MRSA at some point during their stay?

Beware of facts, sometimes they get in the way of a story.
  • Options
    SARS?

That was the one I was thinking of, that was supposed to kill us all.

We are, apparently, overdue a flu outbreak and this one might be the one to do it, but given it was first noticed in 1997 in Hong Kong and it still hasnt managed to kill more than 70 people I'm not that bothered.
  • Options
    Until it mutates into a person to person virus I'm not bothered neither should anyone else except poultry farmers.

There's nothing wrong with erring on the side of caution though.
  • Options
    To put it mildly I couldn't give a hoot. A large chunk of the population have been influenced by the scare tactics and the fact it's on the front of every newspaper and the lead item on most news bulletins... I work in a GPs surgery and I've been receiving calls all morning from people wanting to know if (a) they can be vaccinated and (b) how they can get hold of anti-virals. It started off being quite amusing but now we're just directing them to NHS Direct for more information (sorry GWST!)
  • Options
    Apparently some EU official (bloody EU eh? ;) ) said yesterday ALL 458 million EU citizens should be given the flu jab at once.

Somebody somewhere is going to make a lot of money over this...
  • Options
    theres no vaccine available at the moment that is guranteed to work on hsn1 anyway
  • Options
    I thought the US had just developed one?
  • Options
    No they only have drugs to treat the symptoms, which is what the US, UK and various other countries have been stockpiling recently.
  • Options
    i think i have it ...i feel like shit.
  • Options
    Any feathers growing out of your skin yet? :p
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Any feathers growing out of your skin yet? :p
    cluck!

it's karma ...i sold off all my chickens at the begining of the year ...most went to a pet food manufacturer.
  • Options
    cluck!

it's karma ...i sold off all my chickens at the begining of the year ...most went to a pet food manufacturer.

Ah, Chicken Karma
  • Options
    Ah, Chicken Karma
    :D
  • Options
    As far as I know, the worst case scenario is if you catch both normal flu and chicken flu at the same time and they make a hybrid flu. So they are trying to vaccinate everyone against normal flu so they can only catch chicken flu, even though they could still get ill etc.

update, those in romania were the lethal h5n1 strain http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4344448.stm
  • Options
    Tbh SARS was scarier for me.

I've heard that it's very hard to pass a bird flu from human to human, unless it gets mutated and a deadlier strain is formed, and they fear that because winter coming up, human flu mixed with bird flu could get this deadlier strain. So thats why there's a big rush to get people vaccinated now. Not worried in the slightest myself.

ETA:Sorry didn't read other posts that said the same thing.
  • Options
  • Options
    cornflakes will be the next threat ...mutated killer raping cornflakes.
  • Options
    i think i probably wont get it.
  • Options
    i think i probably wont get it.
    you just know she's now going to be the first UK human victim dontcha!
  • Options
    easy way of syoppping spreading is, if you feel ill stay at home dont try and prove you're ill like we british do
  • Options
    Sorry but it's quite easy for a virus to mutate, it's very common, and we'd all be quite fucked if this one did mutate..one of the old flu pandemic's in history are believed to be linked to an initial variety of bird flu. It can happen.

And I would be grateful that SARS didn't kill us all if I was you, it was highly contagious, and we shouldn't turn our nose up at the protection measures put in place you know?
  • Options
    you just know she's now going to be the first UK human victim dontcha!

Squawk