Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

US government asks citizens to donate to the Iraq adventure

LOL!

I like this in particular:
Contributors have no way of knowing who's getting the money or precisely where it's headed because the government says it must keep the details secret for security reasons.

Never mind that the taxpayer has already paid upteen billions... and never mind that Bush's friends in Halliburton and co. have made so much money they must be running out of space to store it.

Still, they might as well try anything that crosses their minds. They've been getting away with murder for this long already anyway...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    my mind just boggled!
  • Options
    What's the problem exactly?
  • Options
    "free and prosperous Iraq".

More political doublespeak for: "Free" from any accountability to the taxpayers we're milking to perpetuate our occupation and war crimes. "Prosperous" for our corporate cronies who will be happily funded for that much longer with your gullible donations, suckas!
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    What's the problem exactly?
    have you been sniffing the anesthetics bottle?

it is the ultimate piss take!
  • Options
    have you been sniffing the anesthetics bottle?

it is the ultimate piss take!
    Is it as preposterous to donate money towards the development of A.N.Other country?
  • Options
    It is when those by whom the donations are being solicited and to whom they would be paid are the very ones responsible for decimating the country in the first place and subsquently demonstrating continuous fraud and fiscal mismanagement in using "rebuilding" as a pretext for crony-corporate profiteering.

Time to give the war criminals the only handout they truly deserve, all expense paid tickets to a Hague docket to answer for their lies, deliberate and flagrant contraventions of the Nurmberg Principles, Hague-Vienna-Geneva Conventions, and indeed the US Constitution Article 6 (which makes those ratified treaties the law of the land in America itself).

Endorsing their aggressivist actions with any personal funds above and beyond that for which they have already extorted the nation into longterm debt would be the height of gullibility.

Caveat Emptor!
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Is it as preposterous to donate money towards the development of A.N.Other country?
    development ...i'm going to have to look that up in my dictionary ...i'm sure it's you who misunderstands the meaning not me ...but i'll go check.
  • Options
    I'm as anti-war as the next man, but I honestly don't see the problem with Americans donating their own money to rebuild Iraq. We donate to African countries destroyed by civil conflict, Asian countries destroyed by natural disasters, Middle Eastern countries destroyed by historical Western influence...why not Iraq?
  • Options
    Truly Kentish, do you try to comprehend what has already been offered to you in response to your question?

The American public has already BEEN giving and to an extent both extortionistic and fiscally abhorrent as it was done under the most fraudulent of pretexts, without transparency from the get go and with economic repercussions that will continue to be born by the next one or two generations.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,1246876,00.html

(edited to add another interesting revelation about "reconstruction" spending...)
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05207/543937.stm

Your comparisons are apples and oranges I'm afraid. Charities don't decimate nations in order to secure a further base for perpetual profiteering, nor do they presume to suggest that contributions will not be accounted for to the penny on the age old bogus grounds of "security".

This laughable latest appeal is nothing more than further demonstration of the depths of brazen arrogance to which the criminals in Washington will descend in their bid to pass the buck.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Hahahaha.

Excellent. Does anyone think people are honestly gonig to pay for a stupid war where their soldiers are getting killed for no reason? They may see it as, if they do not pay, the troops come home sooner.
  • Options
    So the objection is that the money is being distributed through USAID and not an NGO?

Would it be OK for an American to donate money to the Red Cross, for example?
  • Options
    :banghead:
  • Options
    Forgive me, I just don't get it. Explain it to me in words of one syllable. :)
  • Options
    More than enough one syllable words for you to comprehend. Go on take your time and give it a try.
  • Options
    The objection is that US companies are making money out of Iraq because they are being awarded the reconstruction contracts?

Or that the money is being squandered?

You've made two different points and neither really answers the question.
  • Options
    The two points are not mutually exclusive (edited to add: neither have you actually grasped the point clearly made regarding profiteering). They are indeed part and parcel of the deeply rooted fraudulent character of this entire misadventure. The US public has already paid more than enough for generations to come (need I repeat this again?).

The time has come to call the conmen on their game and end it.

Now please demonstrate that UK education equips its youth to comprehend the interrelation amongst various aspects of a given situation in order to appreciate the bigger picture in its full context. I'd truly hate to think cognitive dissonance was as endemic there as it is to my own nation.
  • Options
    If it's specifically Iraq then I see the reasoning but I find it quite disturbing that you will write off that country following the war.

You can make the exact same argument about many ordinary charities at home and abroad - that they only exist and only demand our money because of the inherent inequality and hypocrisy within our society.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    If it's specifically Iraq then I see the reasoning but I find it quite disturbing that you will write off that country following the war.

You can make the exact same argument about many ordinary charities at home and abroad - that they only exist and only demand our money because of the inherent inequality and hypocrisy within our society.

What he's saying, in layman's talk, is that US business is making/will make a shitload from Iraq, with no tax being paid, and the funding for this escapade is supporting business greed. i.e. you give money as requested and you're furthering the the corporate interest which started the war in the first place.
  • Options
    Yeah. Maybe some Iraqis will benefit too? :eek:
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Yeah. Maybe some Iraqis will benefit too? :eek:

:eek2:

Well...maybe as a bi-product.

I dare say the same could be said of Hitler if he was requesting international contributions to held re-build Eastern Europe in 1942.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    I dare say the same could be said of Hitler if he was requesting international contributions to held re-build Eastern Europe in 1942.
    OK let's take that example.

My point is that we should be allowed to donate money towards rebuilding Eastern Europe. I wouldn't give it to Hitler, but just because the situation was created through some process we disagree with (in this case Nazism), doesn't mean we should abandon the countries affected.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Well...maybe as a bi-product.
    ps :lol:
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    I'm as anti-war as the next man, but I honestly don't see the problem with Americans donating their own money to rebuild Iraq. We donate to African countries destroyed by civil conflict, Asian countries destroyed by natural disasters, Middle Eastern countries destroyed by historical Western influence...why not Iraq?

It's not so much the donating of money to rebuild Iraq, but honestly, the U.S. government asking for charitable donations and then refuseing to say what it is going towards? Stinks like a Neo-con scam to me.
  • Options
    Yes, the problem with this is that it doesn't sound as if your generous donations is going to good causes at all, does it?

It's all very vague and unclarified, and the fact that they won't say how the money will be used can only be interpreted as "we're going to use it for many projects that have little or nothing to do with the welfare of the Iraqis, and everything with contractors, oil installations, security (for contractors and oil installations), or even the funding of the Iraqi army or the purchase of weapons for all we know.

A far cry from donating to the Red Crescent or Medics Sans Frontières isn't it?

Let the US goverment and their mega rich friends in Halliburton & co foot the bill or whatever the hell they need. The US taxpayer will be the one having to pay for it all at the end of course, but at least they will have a clearer idea of how much money is being wasted and what on.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

A far cry from donating to the Red Crescent or Medics Sans Frontières isn't it?

Yes but these charities don't build roads, or pipelines, or schools do they?

I personally have never heard of a charity that deals in rebuilding infrastructure (maybe there should be one?)

I am sure everyone agress that this work has to be done though, and in the absence of any nice charities to do it, it will have to be done by the evil corporations.

Unless you have a better idea?
  • Options
    Iraqis are perfectly capable and skilled to rebuild their own infrastructure according to their needs and for their own profit, not that of foreign corporations come to milk international funding back out of the country.

The reports provided previously should be sufficient starting points for any who care to open their eyes to the extensive corruption being spearheaded by US administration corporate cronies since the occupation began.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:

I personally have never heard of a charity that deals in rebuilding infrastructure (maybe there should be one?)

I am sure everyone agress that this work has to be done though, and in the absence of any nice charities to do it, it will have to be done by the evil corporations.
    Is that is indeed where the money is going to be used, this must be the first time in history when a government asks its citizens to make donations to pay for it.

Highly irregular to say the least. And breathtakingly cheeky I should add... The US government is not starved of money... they have enough money to pay for 16-lane motorways to cover every last square inch of Iraq 100 times over. They're simply asking for donations as a cynical attempt to hide out the full cost of the Iraq war to the taxpayer.
  • Options
    Highly irregular to say the least. And breathtakingly cheeky I should add... The US government is not starved of money... they have enough money to pay for 16-lane motorways to cover every last square inch of Iraq 100 times over.

Oh dear, that's not right. The US government is flat broke. It has been for a generation. Having sold all it's gold, and then all the land and then all the people it's running out of stuff to give rapidly.

Even at that, all it's money is stolen. No "state" anywhere in the world has anything other than what it steals. They don't produce, only consume.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:

Unless you have a better idea?
    there was nothing wrong with the infrastructure until the US destruction of everything!

by all means give to the iraqi people to help them clean up this awful and illegal mess ...but for fucks sake ...surely you don't give the IRA donations so they can rebuild london?