Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

was just watching wife swap...

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Don't you get milk and bread coupons when you sign on?

Not that I'm aware of. I've never signed on, but my friends who do certainly haven't mentioned it.
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote:
    i think its a complete joke, scrounging bastards. since when as having children been an excuse not to work, im sure most peoples parents will have worked during growing up, i know my parents both certainly worked full time.

no excuse.

shame is, their children will grow up being exactly the same, i see it happen a lot round here, they just breed and breed and breed every generation just being as bad as the last one.

really gets my goat.

I see your point. The problem is social environment - you need to break the cycle. Ultimately, society is the cause, and only society can address the problem.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    £35/£40 a week is fuck all to live on. Before the beer, fags and Sky comes food, clothing, general utilities...which eat up most of the money.
    As they should! That's what it's for after all.
  • Options
    However this utterly destroys the much-repeated (but clearly 100% utter bollocks) claims that people on benefits live the grand life and can afford plasma TVs, Sky subscriptions and exotic holidays.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Subsidised travel.

Since when?
    I wish I had £45 a week to spend on fags, beer and Sky.

And food, soap powder, clothing, water, gas, electric... for example.

Out of interest, when I was unemployed and Mrs MoK wasn't working we couldn't afford to run a car, or have a phone... seriously £70 doesn't go very far...
  • Options
    As for the original question...

No I don't think that it's right that a couple should claim benefits through choice.

It's also wrong that there are so many tax loopholes. Let's put as much effort into closing them as we do into chasing benefits "cheats" though, shall we...
  • Options
    I would hesitate to call them scroungers but what they are doing (without knowing much about the situation exactly) is patently unfair because not everyone can do it, only a few.......
  • Options
    I can understand one parent staying at home and claiming the few benefits they are legally entitled to, but I don't think it's right or commendable to actively make the decision for both to do so!

Kids grow up fine with both or one parent working, and in many ways it sets a better example.

However, the benefits are there for the sake of the child so I don't think it's fair to label those genuinely unable to work as spongers
  • Options
    My opinion is pretty well summed up already: the benefits system is (supposed to be) there as a safety net, for those in need, not a choice if you prefer staying at home looking after your kids.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    My opinion is pretty well summed up already: the benefits system is (supposed to be) there as a safety net, for those in need, not a choice if you prefer staying at home looking after your kids.
    :yes: What I was trying to put across.

We agree on much! :D
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Subsidised travel.

The only subsidised travel is for people on New Deal. And all New Deal is, is the taxpayer subsidising cheap labour for private businesses. It might be an idea to check your facts Kermit.
  • Options
    As for the original point - maybe if we lived in a society which actually valued childcare then people wouldn't feel the need to do this sort of thing. I'm also disgusted at all the people quick to judge others with very few facts. Another example of the poor in society being scapegoated. Shame on most of you.
  • Options
    so what if some lazy ...fat ...bastard shirks work and lives on benefits?

why does it anger people so much?

it's only money.
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote:
    i think its a complete joke, scrounging bastards. since when as having children been an excuse not to work, im sure most peoples parents will have worked during growing up, i know my parents both certainly worked full time.

Mine did as well. And they do now, but we're (me, bother & sister) are all at the age now where we don't need our parents around all the time...

Totally agreed here. Oh and it's not like someone can't work AND look after their kids at the same time, is it?
  • Options

it's only money.

Because we live in a Capitalist society where money is everything. And that money could be better used elsewhere.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Because we live in a Capitalist society where money is everything. And that money could be better used elsewhere.

What a nonsensical statement.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    rubbish ...theres more than enough money to go round already ...if people wouldn't hoard so much of it.

do you honestly believe that if every pensioner ...every fat lazy bastard thats buming a free ride were killed off tomorrow ...your wages would be bigger ...the health service and education would improve?
    dream on.

theres fucking shed loads of money about just as theres enough food on the planet to feed eight planets ...
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Blagsta wrote:
    As for the original point - maybe if we lived in a society which actually valued childcare then people wouldn't feel the need to do this sort of thing. I'm also disgusted at all the people quick to judge others with very few facts. Another example of the poor in society being scapegoated. Shame on most of you.

If you had seen the episode you would have also seen the bloke spending half the day down the bookies, betting money he hadn't earnt.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    If you had seen the episode you would have also seen the bloke spending half the day down the bookies, betting money he hadn't earnt.

I didn't see the episode. Maybe he had a gambling addiction?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Blagsta wrote:
    I didn't see the episode. Maybe he had a gambling addiction?

I wouldn't know.

I do know that he said he didn't work because he wanted to look after his kids, but then spent the day down the bookies.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    That sounds like a gambling addiction to me.
  • Options
    rubbish ...theres more than enough money to go round already ...if people wouldn't hoard so much of it.

do you honestly believe that if every pensioner ...every fat lazy bastard thats buming a free ride were killed off tomorrow ...your wages would be bigger ...the health service and education would improve?
    dream on.

theres fucking shed loads of money about just as theres enough food on the planet to feed eight planets ...

I beleive if the benefit fraud and people buming were stopped there would be more money to go to where it is needed... admitadley in a perfect world where the governemnt wasn't shit.
  • Options
    Oh the hilarity.
  • Options
    Well i'm no economist, but isn't the money they get going back into the economy when they spend it...it's hardly as though they're keeping millions in swiss bank accounts.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Well i'm no economist, but isn't the money they get going back into the economy when they spend it...it's hardly as though they're keeping millions in swiss bank accounts.

voila
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    yes ...the money ends up passing through the hands of large and small businesses ...sio is realy a business subsidy.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:

I thought that... but then, I guess others here have lower expectation of the government. Or maybe just the middle-men.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    I thought that... but then, I guess others here have lower expectation of the government. Or maybe just the middle-men.
    having high expectations of any government usualy ends in disapointment.
  • Options

it's only money.

But money is a reuslt of production.

People get angry because those that work produce things for society. People who live on benefits share in the fruit of that production but do not produce anything in return.

And yes the provision of benefits does serve a useful economic purpose but to interpret benefits as a business subsidy is to be ridiculous...........
  • Options
    But money is a reuslt of production.

Well, it CAN be, if you use money that is of intrinsic value (such as gold/silver etc) our "money" isn't a result of production. it's worthless paper made valuable because it's the only thing the government will let you pay your taxes in.
    People get angry because those that work produce things for society.

If you work in the manufacturing sector, then yes. Most people don't and are therefore only consumers. Most workers produce nothing. Everyone in the army, police, fire brigade and all the politicians as an example, produce fuck all.

Fact is we burn spare food every year and have a system designed to make people do worthless shite in exchange for paper, to maintain control for the PTB.
    And yes the provision of benefits does serve a useful economic purpose but to interpret benefits as a business subsidy is to be ridiculous...........

The real reason benefits are paid is to reduce crime. If you didn't give so much cash to provide for those with little, do you really think they would just accept their fate and starve?

Nope, they would be in your house robbing you. Aside from this, having a huge pool of enforced desperation helps keep business costs down and provides a good excuse for taxation.

One more thing - why do people complain about what the money that has been stolen from them has been spent on? Surely the real issue is that it's stolen in the first place?