Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Fading a pair of Jeans

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok so I bought this pair of jeans because they're a fantastic fit and I've already got the same pair in a different wash. The ones I've had for a while now started originally quite dark but faded nicely, but that took abuot 4 or 5 months of wear and tear. The ones I've just bought are a little too blue for my liking so I want to try fading the colour out of them a bit without having to wear them for 4 months to do it. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    i fucked up two pairs of jeans trying to fade them, ended up with a pair of patchy "Freddie Mercurys". I used thin bleach in a tray and kept moving them about every few hours. Couldn't you stick them in the washing machine but put thin bleach in the fabric conditioner section in the drawer? then wash them normally after? Would like someone else to try that before I ruin my machine!
  • Options
    i know theres a kind of stone you can buy to fade jeans....but i can't remember what it's called.....
  • Options
    Pumice stone.
  • Options
    I searched on google for you and all I found was a forum which said to use a cheesegrater or sandpaper and rub it lightly.
    dunno if this would work!
  • Options
    the best way to fade jeans without totally buggering them up is just to wash them lots. the dye will noticeably fade with each wash.

bleach works, but usually works too well and then you're in acidwash hell.

sandpapering also works, but only cause you're taking a good chunk of the fibres away, and unless your aim is holey jeans, i don't recommend it.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    the best way to fade jeans without totally buggering them up is just to wash them lots. the dye will noticeably fade with each wash.

bleach works, but usually works too well and then you're in acidwash hell.

sandpapering also works, but only cause you're taking a good chunk of the fibres away, and unless your aim is holey jeans, i don't recommend it.

Yeh thats what I was thinking. I've done them twice already. First in a normal wash and then in a 90 degree white wash (halfway through I realised i might shrink them but they were ok in the end).

Anyways how many washes you reckon I'll need? Twice has made a marginal difference.
  • Options
    good luck u are going to need .
  • Options
    ten should do it for the dye coming out. after that it's just a case of wearing them in and getting a natural fade.

and yeah, i wouldn't recommend 90 degree washes for jeans :p if nothing else it isn't really necessary, cause fading dye is more about wetting and agigtating fabric than getting it really hot. think getting paint out of a brush.
  • Options
    soak them in cellulase
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote:
    Pumice stone.
    that's the one! i knew it began with a P
  • Options
    I like that levis commercial where the guy totally goes ballistic on some new jeans (in order to make it all trendy like the ones he has) to give it to that one girl. You should try all that...