Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Anyone Got a medical problem they wish someone would make a device to help?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know a lot of people that would like to help people with medical problems, they`re most guys interested in engineering, etc - one for example has made a new kind of walking stick

Is there anyone with a problem that could be helped with some kind of device? If so post your problem and what you`d want it to do for you and maybe they can help.

examples would be things like a better walking stick, or wheel chair that goes up stairs, or something like that.

Comments

• Options
    Self cleaning glasses would be nice.
  • Options
    Oral insulin? *Heard they were experimenting with it...*
  • Options
    something that can scan a moving joint and see what is causing the problem because until someone doesthat i have to put up with my messed up knees
  • Options
    I know a lot of people that would like to help people with medical problems, they`re most guys interested in engineering, etc - one for example has made a new kind of walking stick

Is there anyone with a problem that could be helped with some kind of device? If so post your problem and what you`d want it to do for you and maybe they can help.

examples would be things like a better walking stick, or wheel chair that goes up stairs, or something like that.

Do we get a cut of the patent/royalties? Seems like they wanna make money out of other peoples' ideas ... ? Or am I just a cynical bastard? (No need to actually answer that please!) :razz:
  • Options
    there are loads of grip aids on the market, but i have the most trouble with turning keys and stiff door handles, and no one seems to have addressed this yet.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    there are loads of grip aids on the market, but i have the most trouble with turning keys and stiff door handles, and no one seems to have addressed this yet.
    Actually, you shouldn't force keys in locks. The key is more likely to break and get stuck in the mechansim than the lock is to open.

But grip aids are useful for older folks. :yes:
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Actually, you shouldn't force keys in locks. The key is more likely to break and get stuck in the mechansim than the lock is to open.

i don't force them. i sometimes struggle to turn normal, non-stiff keys because of the way you need to grip it.

the stiff handles are easier, cause you can always use the heel of your hand, but still not fab.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    Do we get a cut of the patent/royalties? Seems like they wanna make money out of other peoples' ideas ... ? Or am I just a cynical bastard? (No need to actually answer that please!) :razz:

I think the person that came up with the product would be lucky to get a cut themselves. It seems the average time it takes takes to get things to market is 5 to 10 years!!

And that assuming they don`t give up.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:

Not to make light of the problem, but if the problem is with your own door locks, etc have you tried an oil like WD40?

My bedroom door handle was starting to get stiff and make a grinding noise when you turned it si I just used some sewing machine oil and the problem was fixed.

Same thing when I was living abroad this one door had a slider type lock that was so hard to slide across, but we put some engine oil on it (a little) and it was so easy to slide after that.

You could try sparying some WD40 into the lock and it will usually penetrate really well and ease up the lock.
  • Options
    Not to make light of the problem, but if the problem is with your own door locks, etc have you tried an oil like WD40?

they aren't stiff. it's because my crappy fingers are my index and middle fingers, and it's not reet easy turning a key with your thumb and ring finger.

i don't have a problem when my fingers aren't sore.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Self cleaning glasses would be nice.
    Oooh yeah
    And invisible braces that you can't feel