Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The cracks start to appear :)

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Oh I see - you know more than Amnesty International.....
    Is that what I said? Scroll back and have a re-read.
    I think the BBC makes it clear these were soldiers from the Uganda People's Defence Force (UPDF)

The HRW report is pretty unpleasant too.

Of course, you're going to tell me that that 2003 report is out of date.
    All I ask you is whether you think the situation in Uganda is better than it was when Museveni took power? If yes, I think we can fairly credit him with the improvements. But can you change a country in 20 years? Can you be expected to end a conflict that crosses borders with an unstable neighbour? Can you pump money into the army when 80% of Ugandan children are malnourished, and 10% have HIV?
    So, what you going to tell me about the September 2005 one?
    That's talking about the conflict in northern Uganda with the LRA specifically. If we're talking about impact - comparing Museveni and Mugabe - do you honestly think this conflict, devastating though it is, is comparable with what has happened to Zimbabwe under Mugabe?
    Just how long does one need to spend in Uganda to gain the status of expert who knows better than Amnesty and HRW?
    Depends how you spend your time I guess.
    :confused:

The fact that Museveni is prepared to do the bidding of the IMF/WB and neo-liberals does not make him a nice man.

:eek2:
    Who cares if he's a "nice man"? What is "nice"?

He has to impress the IMF/World Bank to balance his books. They underwrite his health budget, and probably many others.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Depends how you spend your time I guess.

Who cares if he's a "nice man"? What is "nice"?

He has to impress the IMF/World Bank to balance his books. They underwrite his health budget, and probably many others.

Yes, the IMF are notorious for their support of public services......

And you assertion is that it is only in Northern Uganda that Museveni's troops rape little girls?

Is that right?
  • Options
    Yes, the IMF are notorious for their support of public services......

And you assertion is that it is only in Northern Uganda that Museveni's troops rape little girls?

Is that right?
    Never say never. I simply suggest that your links report mainly on the problems in northern Uganda, where I have no doubt there are human rights abuses. The area isn't entirely under Museveni's control.

For what purpose do you insist on criticising Museveni? What would you like to see happen in Uganda?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Never say never. I simply suggest that your links report mainly on the problems in northern Uganda, where I have no doubt there are human rights abuses. The area isn't entirely under Museveni's control.

For what purpose do you insist on criticising Museveni? What would you like to see happen in Uganda?

I'm sorry - your new argument is that the great Museveni isn't able to control his troops?

:banghead:

You know exactly why I'm criticising him

a) because he bears responsibility

b) because the willingness of you and the West to ignore/play down his misdeeds exposes the hypocrisy of the outrage that is expressed against Mugabe - it certainly shows that the concern isn't for the African children who are raped by the troops, nor for the politicla opponents who are routinely tortured.......
  • Options
    What good would sanctions do for Uganda and its rape victims?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    What good would sanctions do for Uganda and its rape victims?

Erm, did I advocate sanctions?

:confused:
  • Options
    What is your point? :confused:
  • Options
    A smiley face to celebrate the fact that the West has almost suceeded in starving the entire Zimbabwean population, in order to force out Mugabe seems somewhat sick to me.

And when Mugabe finally goes, the Zimbabwean population in their weakened malnourished state have the very SAPs and IMF programmes that Mugabe refused to implement to look foirward to, courtesy of the West backed MDC.

Museveni of Uganda is an absolute cunt, but we don't hear too much about that do we? Perhaps because Uganda is doing what every good African state should do for the white massahs that rule the world. So, we force those who flee Uganda's Mugabe style repression into detention and then back to horror and no-one bats an eyelid.

Is the smiley face because the white massah always gets his way in the end? Or is it really out of a concern for the Africans who suffer at the hands of powermongers?

If the latter, you really need to read a little more .........