Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Milawi

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kentish wrote:
    Think global, act local.

Yeah, thanks for the meaningless platitudes.
    Kentish wrote:
    If you think you can't make a difference then of course you won't.

No, its a fact. Without a complete reorganisation of our economic system, not a lot will change, in fact it'll probably get worse. A lot worse. We can change things, but not by writing to our MP.
  • Options
    I think people can make changes, it's just a case of being bothered to rather than dragging everybody down with apathy. However, if we really want to make a difference we need to be persistant and hard working. It doesn't help by just buying a 'make poverty history' band and flashing it around. Sure it's a donation, but for example volunteering makes much more of a difference.

The only way we make changes is by being proactive, not posting opinions on messageboards the government will never read. It's a fact.
  • Options
    Who's apathetic?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Who's apathetic?
    ap·a·thy
    n.
    1. Lack of interest or concern, especially regarding matters of general importance or appeal; indifference.
    2. Lack of emotion or feeling; impassiveness.

People who look at the world and think "I can't make changes... People won't listen" ect

Who did you think I was talking about?
  • Options
    ap·a·thy
    n.
    1. Lack of interest or concern, especially regarding matters of general importance or appeal; indifference.
    2. Lack of emotion or feeling; impassiveness.

I didn't ask "what is apathy", I'm fully aware of what it means.
    People who look at the world and think "I can't make changes... People won't listen" ect

Who did you think I was talking about?

I was wondering who you meant, thats all. Yes, people can make changes through collective political action, but its a slow tough process. Writing to your MP won't help because our government can't or won't help. Look at the farce that was the G8 for instance.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I was wondering who you meant, thats all. Yes, people can make changes through collective political action, but its a slow tough process. Writing to your MP won't help because our government can't or won't help. Look at the farce that was the G8 for instance.
    It is a slow tough process... Everything is a slow process, but never impossible. I don't think we're informed well enough on how we can make changes though, hence the apathy.

The G8 I think made a few people aware, but because it wasn't constant didn't make any changes.
  • Options
    It is a slow tough process... Everything is a slow process, but never impossible. I don't think we're informed well enough on how we can make changes though, hence the apathy.

The G8 I think made a few people aware, but because it wasn't constant didn't make any changes.

The G8 didn't make any changes because the people in power don't want any changes. Most aid to Africa comes with conditions such as privatising public utilities such as the water etc. The powers that be in the west want to continue the neo-liberalist project into Africa so they can make money and exert power. This does nothing to make the situation better, in fact it usually makes it worse. Nothing will seriously change under our current economic and political system.
  • Options
    Of course, our country was built on slavery and our lifestyles are fueled by the sweat and blood of those in less stable countries.
  • Options
    Yep. If we want real change, we have to be prepared to change everything. Trouble is, most people aren't.