Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Heart rate concerns

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
To make a long post shoter for me to write, here is a copy of what I emailed my brother that explaines it all. Pretty much, my heart rate gets extremly high very quickly.

Hey Nick. I have a question for you. Since you're all athletic and smart and going to do medical stuff I thought you would be perfect to ask. Now I recently joined a fitness club and today I had my orientation thing and got my fitness assesed. However, the trainer seemed to be absoutly shocked at my heart rate. Within 3 minutes of walking 3.5mph my heart rate was already at 180. He just seemed so shocked at this. I didn't feel weak or bad or anything and I remember even when I played soccer and was going to the Y with mom and doing weights with dad, when I did cardio work my heart rate was up to that in no time. So I can pretty much guarantee that it has nothing to do with my current fitness level. The trainer was so shocked and in awe and was asking me to seriously ask a doctor about this as it seemed very worring to him. I called dad later tonight and he told me it was just normal. Since no matter what physical condition I've been in, its always been like that, that its no big deal, and alot of it could be because of my asthma, and maybe because of my thyroid. I guess I'm just asking you because you're all knowledgable in this kind of thing, or at least I assume you are, and though its never crossed my mind before, after the way this guy reacted to my heart rate being so high so quick its really started to make me wonder. I mean, do you know anything? Does it seem shocking to you? Should I ask my doctor about it?

Comments

• Options
    high blood pressure maybe .

my mum suffers from that . I got a home BP machine and i am like 60 - 70 ive never been over that well once i did after a footie tournament it was like 91 .
  • Options
    NO, my blood pressure is good. It was checked when I was at the dr yesterday.
  • Options
    Blood pressure is not the same as heart rate.

Could well be related to your thyroid thing. Do mention it to your doctor. It does sound high for such gentle exercise.
  • Options
    I really had no idea a thyroid would effect that. I will definatly ask when I go in for my results monday. The thing that bugs me, is for quite a while I was in excelent shape. I played soccer and ran track. I worked out with resistance weights and cardio average 4 times a week, i lifted free weights 2-3 times a week. I was in absoutly excelent shape. But I would go and do my cardio work out and whether I was on an eleptical, a bike, running or just walking, within minutes my heart rate would be up to 180, alot of the times when I was actually doing strenious work it would go to 200. I never felt ill or weak or anything. I just took it as normal because I was uneducated in that area and I didn't know any different.
  • Options
    Yeah, you want your heart to beat faster when you exercise - it's good for the heart.

But you say you were walking slowly at the time and your heart rate went over 180bpm. That's not ideal.