Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Quote of the century

Speaking about claims that Iran has been aiding the insurgency in Iraq, Tony Blair has warned Tehran that "there can be no justification for interfering in Iraq". Source.

Spot the irony, anyone?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Aladdin wrote:
    Speaking about claims that Iran has been aiding the insurgency in Iraq, Tony Blair has warned Tehran that "there can be no justification for interfering in Iraq". Source.

Spot the irony, anyone?
    i heard it on the radio today!
    i think it was ...

"there can be no justification for any country interfering in Iraq". i'm sure that was what i heard ...i nearly crashed!
  • Options
    Lol
  • Options
    You have to read between the lines Al. Remember this is political doublespeak not plain English.

What he means is "There can be no interfering with our long planned conquest and restored control over Iraq and its resources".
  • Options
    I wondered how they were going to sell it to my half asleep fellow "citizens".

The old "they started it" gambit. Magic.

All politicians are sub human scum.
  • Options
    We're all being 'groomed' already for a war on Iran aren't we?

Bunch of cunts...
  • Options
    ``There is no justification for Iran or any other country interfering in Iraq,'' Blair said at a news conference with Iraqi President Jalal Talabani.

Grauniad
  • Options
    Never do hear how many hundreds of their citizens we've killed or dragged out of their homes to send off to our wonderful resort facilities in Cuba. How dare they fight back, we aren't foreign combatt....errr... the bad guys!
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Quote of the Century? We've only got five sodding years!!!

I think it has to be the one and only thing I still find amusing:
    "There are no US tanks near Baghdad. There are no tanks within miles of Baghdad" or something similar from the dear old Iraqi Minister. While they rolled down the streets.
  • Options
    Dear me. Poor Tony didn't have a clue what he was saying.

Plus there is no such noun as a quote. Can people please learn this?
  • Options

s'funny
  • Options

Please can people learn this if we are being pedantic.

If we aren't (and I pity grammar nazi's) then it's a noun if people use it as one. Language has no rules save syntax and that's more a guideline. Please can people learn this.

This can people, learn please.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Please can people learn this if we are being pedantic.

If we aren't (and I pity grammar nazi's) then it's a noun if people use it as one. Language has no rules save syntax and that's more a guideline. Please can people learn this.

Language does in fact have rules. It's just peope who are too stupid or lazy to use them that somehow make it ok to speak like a retard.

The definition cited by someone earlier has only come into being because of a mass mistake which has spawned mass usage. Jesus Christ. I bet some of you don't even know the difference between will and shall.
  • Options
    Language does in fact have rules.

Indeed it doesn't. Tranaformational grammar is a fascinating subject, but it quickly becomes apparent that each individual means different things by the words they use and only a vague approximation of meaning can happen.
    It's just peope who are too stupid or lazy to use them that somehow make it ok to speak like a retard.

Your "rules" are just opinions. No word has a fixed meaning, words are infinitely flexible.
    The definition cited by someone earlier has only come into being because of a mass mistake which has spawned mass usage.

Common usage is the only real guide to proper speech. The purpose of communication is to be understood. If you are understood you have sssuccccceeeeeeddddeeeddd, if you aren't you have failed.
    I bet some of you don't even know the difference between will and shall.

If every speaker says they mean the same thing, then they do. Get over it.
  • Options
    Jesus Christ. I bet some of you don't even know the difference between will and shall.

Some of us don't care :D
  • Options
    Similar to outrage that the 'insurgents' were being aided by 'foreign fighters'

Whereas of course the new Iraqi army were only being aided by Americans and British!