Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Blood Test

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
do blood test hurt cause im shittin my self cause i have to get one tommorow . Do they hurt please explain .

Comments

• Options
    Hia,

Don't worry, they don't hurt. You might feel a bit of a sharp prick as the needle goes in but nothing awful! Just think about something nice while it's happening if you're worried about it.
  • Options
    a little bit when it goes in, but nothing drastic - make sure you dont flinch and stay still. you get a little bruise for a few days after and your arm will ache for the rest of the day abit.
  • Options
    Yeah they hurt a bit, but only like a scratch, I'm sure it will be ok, just don't look and hold your breath or something, really doesn't hurt much though feels kinda funny more like an itch! Don't be scared, its really seriously not that bad!
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    a little bit when it goes in, but nothing drastic - make sure you dont flinch and stay still. you get a little bruise for a few days after and your arm will ache for the rest of the day abit.

I don't usually bruise or ache... I have once or twice but not often.
  • Options
    You shouldn't bruise and if done well it won't take more than a few seconds.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    You shouldn't bruise and if done well it won't take more than a few seconds.

Unless they take more than one pot of blood, in which case don't get up too fast... I once did that and walked off feeling fine and then after a couple of minutes nearly fainted in the middle of the hospital :blush:
  • Options
    Lu_C wrote:
    Unless they take more than one pot of blood, in which case don't get up too fast... I once did that and walked off feeling fine and then after a couple of minutes nearly fainted in the middle of the hospital :blush:
    You know those pots only hold a couple of mls of blood each. Fainting after having a blood test is psychological.
  • Options
    If you are having a blood test to be tested for STD's, you're getting one far too early. You'll need to wait like a week before anything would show, seriously.

Get a smear test done instead, it'll show up anything "bacterial" straight away.
  • Options
  • Options
    1. He can get the "swab" test done then, I was using "smear" to refer to this procedure.
    2. I know. It's 10:50pm at night though, cut me some slack.
  • Options
    its not just for std's its for everything man .

ahh man u guys going on like its some painful shit im shitting my self i hate needles . :eek:
  • Options
    ive only ever had one blood test and i got the HUGEST bruise afterwards. the guy did spend the whole time going my, havent you got tiny veins.. we may have to take it from somewhere else. it didnt hurt when they were doing it but the bruise afterwards did. youll be fine tho, its always worse than you think itll be.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    You know those pots only hold a couple of mls of blood each. Fainting after having a blood test is psychological.

I had 4 taken... still psychological? Weird that :chin: Supose it could have been cos I'd not had that much taken before and didn't like the needle being in so long... but I didn't actually faint... never have.
  • Options
    Lu_C wrote:
    I had 4 taken... still psychological? Weird that :chin: Supose it could have been cos I'd not had that much taken before and didn't like the needle being in so long... but I didn't actually faint... never have.
    If you're young and fit your body can cope with a loss of about a litre (20% of your circulating volume) before you'd notice. It does of course depend on how healthy you are and if you are already anaemic then that might explain you feeling light-headed.

I took blood off a young chap the other week and he needed a good 10 minutes lying on the bed before he felt ready to get up and go. He went all flushed in the face and I only took 3mls and one tube. It was the fear of having the test that affected him, rather than the blood loss itself.

Give Blood
  • Options
    to be honest it depends on the person doing it.

if you get someone who knows what they're doing, it'll barely hurt (a bit like someone pinching you very lightly and quickly), be very quick and leave little bruising, if any.

if you get someone who's a bit cack-handed, it's a bit more of a lottery.

i find if you don't look, it's not as bad. i've had six of those wee pots taken a few times, and because i don't watch, i didn't realise until i heard her snapping them in and out a few times, and then saw six little pots lined up. if i'd have known from the start, i might have worried a bit.
  • Options
    can you ask them to test it for everything all illnesses and aids etc ?
  • Options
    I JUST HAD IT DONE it dont hurt lol u guys had me so shook up over a scratch like feeling man u guys are donuts :0
  • Options
    You are the donut
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    For me it was only the tiny prick and the blood being sucked out that I felt. No bruising or aching or feeling faint whatsoever.
  • Options
    Tom Da Don wrote:
    I JUST HAD IT DONE it dont hurt lol u guys had me so shook up over a scratch like feeling man u guys are donuts :0
    wasnt that what more or less everyone said?
  • Options
    Think of how many people get blood done every day. Did you honestly think it was going to be such a major deal? I'm absoutly shocked.
  • Options
    Mel-H wrote:
    wasnt that what more or less everyone said?
    Yes!!! LOL!!!
  • Options
    The phrase drama-queen comes to mind with tom da don :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Be a man! Blood tests are nothing really, they sting a little when going in but thats about it. If you move then your gonna cause yourself some discomfort.

I had a trainee nurse once and she put the needle in 6 times before she got a vein, i was so pissed off! My arm did ache that day but iv had quite a few tests and no others have been bad.