Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Alcoholism

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How long would you have to drink before you become a full blown addict?

I mean, I'm in uni and we all know it means pretty much daily drinking, but there's also a problem of alcoholism in my family, I've lost relatives due to it before, I'm just wondering how much would I need to take before I become one?

Comments

• Options
    Don't know but i'm in the same boat as you, i'm sure we'll find out.
  • Options
    Just be careful you don't get into a cycle in constant daily drinking, becuase it's a very easy thing to do at uni. I didn't even realise last year until I came home from uni because heavy drinking is a bit of a subject in my house. But with my flatmates it's just what we'd do.

Happened again this summer because I'd no studying to do and was just drinking on all my spare time when I wasn't working.

Just try and realise when you've gotta slow down and take things easy i my advice really. And listen to people if they point it out because it'll be them who see it in you first.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:

I mean, I'm in uni and we all know it means pretty much daily drinking, but there's also a problem of alcoholism in my family, I've lost relatives due to it before, I'm just wondering how much would I need to take before I become one?

get your hallmates smoking weed - best substitute for alcohol there is.

If it runs in the family it's definitely something to be concerned by - i know people who have serious drug/alcohol related problems, and the people with the worst problems seem to have it running through their family. Either that, or they go the other direction - tee-total.
  • Options
    I get severe panic attacks when smoking cannabis, it's really not an option...plus I don't think I'm the type of person who'd be sober all the time...I think the best thing to do is pick days where I'll go out and get pisssed and others just sitting in, though it's easier said than done.
  • Options
    It ran in the family for me. I dont think its how much you drink, but more of the cirmstances really. I grasped my alcoholism and sought treatment when I quit 2 jobs within months. I felt like getting drunk instead, even when I started work at noon. I got drunk during price is right (which is at 10am) I drank at least a 175 every single day and I had no problem drinking alone or drinking and driving. I got very agitated and depressed when I didn't drink. The one thing that does get me now though is how you are supposed to never drink again. I quite simply don't want to. Yes, I can see it would make you relapse much easier but where I'm at right now I dont want it out of my life totally. I'm only 20. And also I believe its just more of the willpower to not get drunk, or to not drink constantly. A couple times a month I will have *a* drink, at a poker game or at a gathering. but its the willpower that keeps me from having more than one.
  • Options
    alcohol mate ...is a wee bit differetnt as far as i'm concerned ...than smack etc.
    smack etc you can reply ...about five quids worth a day for a month and you will develop a physical AND psycological addiction.
    alcoholisn't like that.

i have known and know to this day ...physicaly hard working men who down six to ten pints a night on their way home from work.
    for years and years and years and ....with no problems.
    they do not fight ...neglect their families ...buy alcohol before paying the bills etc.

some people who i consider to be alcoholics are the kind of people who don't drink EVERYDAY.
    three for times a week ...but get pissed every time.
    always cause problems.

if the alcohol consumtion causes financial problems ...relationship problems ...legal problems ...any kinds of problems ...then you are a problem drinker.

if you have a drink problem ...should you be classed as an alcoholic?
  • Options
    *looks curiously around new forum*

*Puts his semi-professionsal hat on*

Addiction is when you have to. It doesn't matter what it is, if you have lost control over it, then you are an addict. Whether it's drink, drugs, or collecting my little pony dolls. It's a psychological phenomenon and doesn't have to be bad. Most people are addicted to putting their pants on in the morning (thank fuck), that is they have an undeniable compulsion to do it.

As far as alcholism goes, Mr. Roll is quite right, alcohol is the substance of choice for the put upon worker. As long as you retain control and by that I mean genuinely retain control (we have all heard the phrase I can stop any time I want) you are fine.

Most of the "everyday" drinkers I have dealt with are actually in the pub and not drinking at home, and all they really want after a hard day doing shit things for money is a friendly face and a relax. Sadly the average Uk culture means they can't find this anywhere but the pub. :yes:
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    *looks curiously around new forum*

b It doesn't matter what it is, if you have lost control over it, then you are an addict. collecting my little pony dolls. It's a psychological phenomenon and doesn't have to be bad. Most people are addicted
    any time I want) you are fine.

Most of the "everyday" drinkers I have dealt with are actually in the pub and not drinking at home, and all they really want after a hard day doing shit things for money is a friendly face and a relax. Sadly the average Uk culture means they can't find this anywhere but the pub. :yes:
    good evening and welcome.

when i see people with a cannabis leaf buckle ...ring ...earing ...the t shirt ...the poster ...i think ...obsession.
  • Options
    good evening and welcome.

Cheers Rolly. :wave: :)
    when i see people with a cannabis leaf buckle ...ring ...earing ...the t shirt ...the poster ...i think ...obsession.

Yep. that's exactly it. Question is - is it harmful? And let's add who to?

Obsession and compulsion are perfectly natural, normal, useful human traits. Everyone has them. To think of it in playschool terms, the problem lies with what you put through the compulsion window.

Drugs? Putting your pants on? Compulsively making money? Obsessed about your kids welfare? Absolutely a slave to bettering yourself?

Quick case study for you. When I was first starting out on the whole "hypnotiem" gig i had a guy come to me because he was "alcholic". I sent him way on down and got him to imagine that his cans of ale were covered in vomit and shit. This worked. he could no longer drink cans of beer.

He drank bottles instead. :lol:

Anyway, a few more sensible and wise interventions later, he can't stop going to the gym. He's compulsive about it. Whenever he thinks about having a drink, he has to exercise. the more he thinks about getting drunk, the more he feels the need to improve his body and health.

I figured that addiiction served him better. What do you think?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

Yep. that's exactly it. Question is - is it harmful?

Anyway, a few more sensible and wise interventions later, he can't stop going to the gym. He's compulsive about it. Whenever he thinks about having a drink, he has to exercise. the more he thinks about getting drunk, the more he feels the need to improve his body and health.

I figured that addiiction served him better. What do you think?
    you destroyed the man!
    you may well have saved him from himself but ...at what cost?

many heroin addicsts give the stuff up ...and become alkys etc.
    valiom addicts clean up turn around and become addicted or obsessed with something else.

is it always bad?

not at all ...i would go as far as to say that some obsession ...addiction ...ritual ....is actualy beneficial.

depending on who you are ...what you are ...will depend greatly on your drug of choice ....or your obsession.
  • Options
    you destroyed the man!

I did what he paid me to do. His choice. He knew what he wanted, but not how to do it.
    you may well have saved him from himself but ...at what cost?

About £250 all told. A lot cheaper than a lifetime on the pop, that's for sure.
    many heroin addicsts give the stuff up ...and become alkys etc.

Yeah I know. Digging for root causes and all that other stuff is for psychotherapists and the like. I fix things quick and get in and out fast. My preference.
    is it always bad?

Not at all. Addiction fascinates me. I am the sort of person who can smoke 20 fags in an evening and not think about them for months. I tried all sorts of drugs and experiences and just kinda shrugged them off easily. Never really got into anything. Then again, experimentation is my drug of choice. :D
    not at all ...i would go as far as to say that some obsession ...addiction ...ritual ....is actualy beneficial.

My point exactly.
    depending on who you are ...what you are ...will depend greatly on your drug of choice ....or your obsession.

Yup. Mine is trying new stuff, thinking and getting the message out.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:

Quit drinking then.
  • Options
    vasily wrote:
    Quit drinking then.
    theres actualy an element of sense in what you say.
    turly can obviously already see a possible problem on the road in front of him ...but he's still gonna take his chances with the brew ...
  • Options
    Quit drinking then.

Perfectly good, useless advice.

How does he get on with his friends when they are all drinkers and he isn't?

How does he change his behaviours to become a non drinker?

What does he do to replace the feelings that drinking gives him?

How does he meet new women when he doesn't go to the pub?

And so on. It's not as simple as just stopping doing something, you have to replace it with something just as good or preferably better or any change won't stick. This is why the missus still stuffs her face with chocolate despite all the agonising, why the addicts really mean what they say but never quite give up. It's why smokers fail to become non-smokers and fat people still have love handles and tits.

Secondary gain -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primary_gain
  • Options
    We all have to make sacrifices.

Does EVERYONE at university drink.

He should try having more adult perspectives and stop drinking to "look cool".
  • Options
    We all have to make sacrifices.

It's up to you. You can learn or I can flatten you with words. Take yer pick from this little lot of potential answers and pick which one helps you wake the fuck up most.

*puts arsehole therapists hat on*

You don't understand what I meant!

You just want me to agree.

You're only saying that because you feel threatened by my earlier correction.

That might be true for you, but it's not true for everyone...is it?

Everyone has to make sacrifices? Always? Everywhere?

The queen seems to get by doing whatever the fuck she wants to.

Your last generalisation didn't help either.

Saying things like that will piss him off and make change less likely.

That's like saying we all have to die. It's true, it's trite and it's useless.

If someone fobbed you off with that answer about that problem, would you improve your life?

Do others have to make sacrifices for you?

If we all did that there would be no problem. We don't so it's a crap answer.

How the fuck do you know, oh keeper of infinite wisdom?

And so on. Theres many. many answers to your post. Not all of them are useful, which is what we are aiming for here. Wanna try again to lend a hand?
  • Options
    For physical addiction it takes about 10 years for males and can be half that for females.

Everwonderwhy, I cant reply to your PM, its full.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    What does he do to replace the feelings that drinking gives him?

you have to replace it with something just as good or preferably better or any change won't stick.
    ]
    but don't let that put anyone off.
    what could possivbly be better than heroin ...that i haven't used any for around 18years?

it sounds difficult doesn't it ...

but i found breing responsible once again ...gave me a hell of a bigger buzz than smack.
  • Options
    I don't really have an addictive personality luckily. My mate on the other hand is different, I am starting to worry about him, he can't go a day without a drink, worst of all he can't handle it, acts like a complete idiot and is losing mates over it. I have tried to talk to him about it but he won't listen, he has been through a rough time recently, but he needs to realise that drinking isn't goinhg to solve anything.
  • Options
    People make their own choices, even if they are sometimes rubbish ones.

All you can do is make sure that he know's your about for a chat or what ever. And have the occasional quiet word about his drinking without nagging him.
  • Options
    My mum is an alcoholic and I personally think the advice of not drinking, at least not all the time, is a good idea. I can go out round town to nightclubs with my friends and still drink pop. The bonus is that I can then drive home and not have to queue forever for taxis. I do occasionally go out and get drunk or have a few but I know im not dependant on it for a good night. When you rely on something to the point where you cant have a good time without it or you use it to block emotions or memories thats when I think you start to have a problem.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    When you rely on something to the point where you cant have a good time without it or you use it to block emotions or memories thats when I think you start to have a problem.

Well said twinklestar. The level that an individual has a problem is very much dependent on the individual and their relationship with the substance. I know some people that are an absolute nightmare after two pints, who I would consider to have a problem, but not be alcoholic.

And in reply to Bongbudda's comment about it taking 5-10 years to be a full blown alcoholic, I would like to add that alcohol dependency doesn't take very long at all, and you start doing the damage to your body then. If you have ever had the shakes after a binge, thats your body giving you signs that it has become mildly dependent on alcohol.

You certainly don't have to be an alcoholic to have a problem.
  • Options
    LadyJade wrote:
    And in reply to Bongbudda's comment about it taking 5-10 years to be a full blown alcoholic, I would like to add that alcohol dependency doesn't take very long at all, and you start doing the damage to your body then. If you have ever had the shakes after a binge, thats your body giving you signs that it has become mildly dependent on alcohol.

You certainly don't have to be an alcoholic to have a problem.

I was just replying to the question, but as you rightly point out you can have a lot of problems before physical addiction kicks in.

As for the shakes, I thought that was just temporary withdrawl from the drug, not really that you have become dependant as such, just sort of a form of really mild DT's. But then as with many things on this board semantics comes into play a lot.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    I know, thats why I said I would like to add to it ;)

But withdrawal would imply your body has become dependent on alcohol to function normally, no matter if it is temporary or not. I just wanted to highlight how easy it really is for habitual alcohol use to affect your body in a negative way.
  • Options
    Alcohol becomes a problem when it causes big problems in your life.

people say that if you answer yes to any of the following questions then you are in trouble:

Does alcohol cause problems in your work
    Does alcohol cause problems in your sex life
    Does alcohol cause problems between you and your friends

Some people can drink very heavily but still get up and do a days work, others can't.
    I think it's a difficult thing to put a label on, and sometiems people don't benefit from having that label
  • Options
    I could very well be one. I drank a whole bottle of port then a bottle of vodka last friday night and I put it away! I threw up the next morning but what worried me was that I did this without throwing up that night!!
  • Options
    Cristal wrote:
    I could very well be one. I drank a whole bottle of port then a bottle of vodka last friday night and I put it away! I threw up the next morning but what worried me was that I did this without throwing up that night!!

YEAH - BUT DID YOU WAKE UP AND DO IT ALL AGAIN !

If you are not reaching for a drink all the time then I think you're ok!
  • Options
    im not sure if alcoholism comes from drinking all the time. i think it becomes a problem when you use alcohol to get rid of your problems and you can't do without it because being sober allows the real world in again....maybe im wrong but i don't think drinking all the time socially is the same as alcoholism....
  • Options
    Ive just started at my new uni and had alcohol poisoning for the first time! This is after not drinking for two days, but after a 4/5 night binge! Felt awful! Definately gonna slow down and watch what i drink more now! Almost fainted in class.
  • Options
    you have an alcohol problem if you find that you need to have a drink everyday.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/health_advice/facts/alcoholism.