Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Landlord troubles

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just wondering if any of you with any law or personal experience could give me any hints about dealing with our landlord as he is a total arse hole and were having quite a few problems with him (I'll list them below - sorry it could get a bit lengthy)

A week ago I moved into my new student house, it is individual tenancy in a 5-person house. 4 people already lived here when I moved in, one person moved out of my room as I moved in, he had been stopping here for a couple of days rent free with the landlords permission for a couple of days, he was a previous resident. Everyone living here / lived here last year are friends / friends of friends.

* When I moved in I was given a key for the front door by one of the residents already living here. It should have had my room key on also (the door was unlocked so I didn’t need it at the time) but it was missing. The landlord is saying that the key wasn’t handed back to him by the previous resident, (it wasn’t requested) and as it was just left in the kitchen it isn’t his responsibility. The last person to live in the room left both keys before they moved out (this is true). No one is willing to take responsibility for the loss of the key and the landlord is saying that whoever lost it should pay for the new lock on the door. Whose responsibility is it?

* 1/2 way through last year one resident moved out and a new one moved in. As the person moving out had no money to pay their last months rent the landlord agreed to use their bond to pay for it. A new girl moved in and paid her bond (she had no contract though- she is foreign and had no idea that she needed one). The landlord hadn’t checked for damage before her moving in and the door was damaged. She moved out 3 months ago and the landlord is refusing to give her bond back because "someone other than him has to pay for the damage”, the previous resident has even admitted that it was him and that’s why he used his bond as his last months rent to the landlord. Is there anything that she can do or should she just kiss goodbye to her bond?

Sorry that this is so long winded, I just wanted to explain things clearly. Any help, ideas or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The new lock is the responsibility of the previous tenant, and his deposit would cover it if he's lost the keys in the kicthen.

The door is not your problem, but the landlord is probably entitled to keep the deposit if the foreign lass can't prove that the door was damaged when she moved in.