Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

will registered memory work in non registered motherboard

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I bought some memory on ebay for my PC (to replace the old memory totally) but it won't boot (i.e. machine turns on but monitor stays off) with it in. Putting back the old memory and it works fine

I thought it was all the same apart from it was 512 MB instead of 256 (old one) - even the make was the same. Infineon.

But it seems the new chips are registered memory and the old one wasn't

I was looking for ECC memory and whenever I saw it mentioned on the internet it always said ECC-Registered

This is the machine I have

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantml110/index-g2.html

if the memory isn't suitable I can always resell on ebay again as I think I got a pretty good price for it.

Comments

• Options
    The registered memory should work, but most likely not mixed with unregistered.
  • Options
    If you bought it on eBay, is it possible it's a dead bit of memory?
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    The registered memory should work, but most likely not mixed with unregistered.

I only put in the ' new chips on their own and left out the new old one - I`m sure memory is OK it2s from an ebay seller with over 500 positive comments and who sells a lot of memory.
  • Options
    I only put in the ' new chips on their own and left out the new old one - I`m sure memory is OK it2s from an ebay seller with over 500 positive comments and who sells a lot of memory.

I know, but there's still the chance there could have been a manufcaturing error. I mean, you can buy memory from PC world and potentially it might not work. Rare, but possible :chin:. Maybe if the seller is very good with memory you could e-mail him and say it doens't work and ask him if he might know why...
  • Options
    Try the memory stick in another PC?
  • Options
    Is it the right speed? make sure you're not overclocking anything.
  • Options
    Is it the right speed? make sure you're not overclocking anything.

No everything is exactly the same as the old CHIP even the manufacturer except these chips are 512MB each and it sayd REG whilst the old one doesn`t

I`ll try again though and see what happens managed to turn off some stuff inthe BIOS by puttig the old CHIP back
  • Options
    Attached are some photos of the RAM, the top one is the original 256MB module and the two below are the new 512MB modules

Very similar except they are double sided and say REG on them and the top one doesn`t

Tried again and machine fans start to spin with the new ram in but the monitor never turns on, put inthe old chip and it works fine.
  • Options
    It could just be that you have a fussy machine that doesn't like the sort of ram.