Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Anyone ever been hypnotised?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm going up tomorrow night for a free consultation. The guy seems very professional, Belfast City Hospital use him for designing tapes for cancer victoms and the like.
Im just going to see if he can help with learning ability.

So....anyone ever been hypnotised? If so, what was it like? Has is not worked for anyone before? Any replies would be really useful :blush:

Comments

• Options
    Nah I've never had it done to me.

Closest I've been to witnessing hypnotism was watching Derren Brown at the theatre earlier this year.
  • Options
    It doesn't work for some people...I think you need a level of co-operation with the hypnotiser so have a clear head when you're doing it...and no, never been hypnotised myself.
  • Options
    the way hypnotism works depends on the 'suggestibility' of the person. lets say 'suggestibility' has a scale of 1-5; 1 the person aint suggestible and 5 the person is suggestible. needless to say 5 people are easily hypnotised. although some people are naturally a number 5, the suggestibilty of a numer 1 can go up depending on the situation, eg something tragic happened recently.

trained hypnotists know how to recognise suggestible people because these people behave in a certain way. and thats how they choose who to hypnotise from a crowd, for example.

taking advantage of people's suggestiblity isnt only used in hypnotism. it is used all the time by clairvoyance etc. it canbe used to lead people into agreeing to something, or have them make a conclusion, you would like them to make, on a subject or issue.

though it is very complex, here is a simple example. lets say you are talking about topic A and you mention the word 'surprise', then you move on to topic B and ask a question where 'suprise' is a likely/one of the answers, the person being asked to will answer 'surprise'.

another example, lets say you were walking along a corridor and past a room where you saw people tending to a person who fainted. then a minute later, you get startled by something or whatever, and you fainted as well. most likely its because of the previous image of the passed out person.

whatever man.
  • Options
    ask klintok in the politics forum ...he's a hypnotist.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I want to try it out oneday. Seems interesting.
  • Options
    I wanna try it too... but isn't it a bit scary!? You might say some things you don't want other people to know.
  • Options
    My friends dad is going to pay for her to be hypnotised to help her give up smoking, and they do this at the hospital so i would assume it would have some sort of success rate.

I don't know if i would like it done to me though, especially in public when you see the things they make people do, eeek.
  • Options
    So....anyone ever been hypnotised? If so, what was it like? Has is not worked for anyone before? Any replies would be really useful

Many many times. So have you, believe it or not, everyone slips into and out of trance all the time.

Ever found yourself at home without really remembering the journey?
    Or got lost in a book or film?

Those were types of trances. All a hypnotist will do is seek to use that trance to do something positive for you.

Common misconceptions I can debunk for you -

1) You won't lose control. Actually some people gain more control over things in the automatic nervous system like breathing and heartrate during hypnosis.

2) You won't do anything that you wouldn't normally do. You are still you, with your own personality and idea and morality. The people you see on stage are "natural show offs" who either routinely show off, or imagine themselves to be the centre of attention. A stage hypnotists will actually dismiss good hypnotic subjects a lot of the time because naturally obedient people are more fun.

3) Your secrets are your own and will remain so. It's rare for people to speak in hypnosis unless they are somnabulists already. My brother is one of these and he routinely wakes up halfway through breakfast or brushing his teeth.

4) It's not a "battle of wills" it's a collaboration to get a result.

5) You will only experience amnesia only if your unconscious mind thinks it's best you do so.

6) Everyone can be hypnotised, unless they are mentally sub-normal or have some other problem with their brain.
    the way hypnotism works depends on the 'suggestibility' of the person. lets say 'suggestibility' has a scale of 1-5; 1 the person aint suggestible and 5 the person is suggestible. needless to say 5 people are easily hypnotised. although some people are naturally a number 5, the suggestibilty of a numer 1 can go up depending on the situation, eg something tragic happened recently.

Nah, bobbins. Defiant and resistant patients can be hypnotised, you just have to change techniques a bit. You don't get many, but some people come to see you just so they can have one more excuse to not give up their habits or whatever. They are usually surprised when they then stop smoking or whatever, because they never really wanted to in the first place.
    trained hypnotists know how to recognise suggestible people because these people behave in a certain way. and thats how they choose who to hypnotise from a crowd, for example.

I am trained to recognise which parts of your brain you use consciously and unconsciously and to use that knowledge as leverage to hypnotise you.

It's actually very pleasant and a lot of fun.
  • Options
    Thanks for that info! He's actually called to rearrange the consultation for tomorrow night and I'll post my opinions on Wednesday. I hope it works :nervous: