Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Im getting a Pussy!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well actually im getting it for my mum, she definatly wants a ginger one, any idea how i should go about this, like what do they need at the vets and what should i get for it? (baskets, food etc)

Comments

• Options
    you need to start it off with a small basket..cat litter with a cat tray ( for their pee and poo )...give it lots of attention..play with it..food im not too sure about..you don't really wanna feed them too much as you don't want them getting fat but you don't wanna feed it not enough :P
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    This wasnt about what I thought it was going to be about....
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    This wasnt about what I thought it was going to be about....
    More's the pity.

How were your birthday celebrations?
  • Options
    Do you think the animal shelter would reject me because i already have two dogs and a grown up cat?

Cuz if they will i shan't waste my time
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Should'nt say so, if you already have animals it wouldn't be a problem in their eyes... you must like them.
  • Options
    I'd say if you've already got 3 healthy pets, thats more incentive for them to give you the cat :)
  • Options
    As long as they are convinced that the animals you already have will get along with the new one
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Should'nt say so, if you already have animals it wouldn't be a problem in their eyes... you must like them.
    I don't know about that, my dad had 2 cats and a dog and when the new dog came one of the cats didn't lose a chance to hit her. But then they moved to a big house (two floors and a garden, they were in a flat before) and now they're mostly fine.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Kentish wrote:
    More's the pity.

How were your birthday celebrations?
    Tiring. Still gaining full memory of the night!
  • Options
    Mekhi wrote:
    I'd say if you've already got 3 healthy pets, thats more incentive for them to give you the cat :)

Wish it was that easy! I got turned down by the Cat Protection League after an hour long interview even though I'd had cats for years. When I asked the woman why, the snooty bitch said they didn't have to give reasons.
  • Options
    If you have adult cats already you can not easily add another adult cat, you can however add in a kitten because they wont attack that much.

However the mix of the dog as well might make it more difficult.
  • Options
    Look in the paper/pet shop window for advertisments of people selling kittens i always see loads of them, thats probably your best bet.
  • Options
    beans wrote:
    Look in the paper/pet shop window for advertisments of people selling kittens i always see loads of them, thats probably your best bet.

There wont be any kittens at this time of year, tis the wrong season.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    There wont be any kittens at this time of year, tis the wrong season.

How do you work that out? My friends cat as got 4 week old kittens, but obviously they are still a bit young to sell, (but they are keeping them anyway) surely it depends on the cat?
  • Options
    beans wrote:
    How do you work that out? My friends cat as got 4 week old kittens, but obviously they are still a bit young to sell, (but they are keeping them anyway) surely it depends on the cat?

Curious, I guess I kind of assumed like virtually every other animal it would give birth in the Spring. Maybe thats me being hopelessly simplistic.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Curious, I guess I kind of assumed like virtually every other animal it would give birth in the Spring. Maybe thats me being hopelessly simplistic.

Well i'm not exactly sure how cats reproductive systems work, but i know my dog comes into season twice a year, and my old dog and a set of puppies in the spring, and another year some in the autum. But i dunno cats might be different *shrugs*
  • Options
    I cant say I've studied cats having sex that much either, I just assumed.
  • Options
    Char_Baby wrote:
    Well actually im getting it for my mum, she definatly wants a ginger one, any idea how i should go about this, like what do they need at the vets and what should i get for it? (baskets, food etc)
    Cats are generally low maintanance pets and need to be taken to the vets and vaccinated against things like cat flu which can kill them. I wouldn't bother with a basket, maybe get him some pingpong balls though (ginger cats are always male, tortoiseshell are always female) or cotton reels.

You can make cat toys easily, just dangle a shoe lace.
  • Options
    (ginger cats are always male, tortoiseshell are always female) .

i know female ginger cats :confused:
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    beans wrote:
    Well i'm not exactly sure how cats reproductive systems work, but i know my dog comes into season twice a year, and my old dog and a set of puppies in the spring, and another year some in the autum. But i dunno cats might be different *shrugs*
    My neighborhood's street cats usually have kittens in the spring, and sometimes in autumn too. But not as often, as far as I've seen.