Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Ever Been To A Lan Party?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've never been to one and not really interested in networked gaming, espacially since games like Doom give me motion sickness :yuck:

But I want to organise a PC Clinic for a club I belong that has nothing to do with computer users apart from the fact we now have a forum and users will compain their PC's are too slow for the net, etc, etc - most of these people are like in their 40's and 50's and don't know how to configure a PC to get the most out of it.

I figure it might work if they all bring their PC's and monitors, etc to one big room

set them up and we do just the basics for them

e.g. install:

AVG (if they've got no virus protection)
Spybot / Adaware Free versions
SpeedXP
Adjust their cache size on IE6 to like 1MB instead of it's default near unlimited setting
Install FireFox

What do you guys think? And what else nees to be done? I just wanna do the basics without risking losing their existing data.

BTW It occurs to me this would make a very cool charity raising kinda event - like donate £10 to charity to have your PC looked at with maybe IT Students doing the checking

Comments

• Options
    If an Internet connection is available, then get their computers updated with all the latest fixes and patches.
    Use Ghost, or similar sort of freeware program, to do a complete hard drive back up of their system (for an extra fee due to the time, disks, etc). That can take some time though.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    LAN Parties are greatness.!!

Erm, this idea is fairly good indeed... take osme effort to work it, but a Good idea.
  • Options
    Lan Parties..are fucking good..aslong as you've got a good crowd and some good games :D
  • Options
    I've never been to one and not really interested in networked gaming, espacially since games like Doom give me motion sickness :yuck:

I'm so glad I'm not the only one.