Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Is the doctor right?

During the summer, I posted a thread about me being obsessed with washing my hands and got told to go and see a doctor. I did this a few times and the doctor did nothing and on my last visit (2 weeks ago) he told me that it was a waste of time for him to keep bringing me back to see him because apparantely I'm ok now. However, on Monday I was in school and had a few free periods, and drank an awful lot of water, meaning I went to the toilet alot. Everytime I went, I washed my hands even when I know I didn't need to. Now, sometimes I had double lessons and am usually given a five minute break after the first hour. When I had them last week, I just had some water and that was it. Yesterday, it was straight to toilet to wash hands. (And was my first thought when the mention of a break came up today during period one) Also, last week in biology, we used something called agar jelly and whenever I touched it, the first thing I did was wash my hands. Now, even though I don't need to, the first thing I always do after going to the toilet/bathroom (even to just some tissue) is to wash my hands.

Should I bother going back to the doctor now? And would I have to infrom school of what's going on?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    1. Why do you think you're doing this, and why are you worried about it?

2. What do you want the doctor to do for you?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    1. Why do you think you're doing this, and why are you worried about it?

2. What do you want the doctor to do for you?

1. I don't know why I'm doing this. At first I got told it was stress.

2. He can't actually do anything can he?
  • Options
    Everytime I went, I washed my hands even when I know I didn't need to.
    you know you need to wash your hands each time :p :thumb:

seriously though, i can't really see there is anything wrong with keeping clean; that is unless it is really causing a problem with your day to day living, in which case you need to get to the reason why you are doing it and try and wean yourself out of your habit.
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    you know you need to wash your hands each time :p :thumb:

seriously though, i can't really see there is anything wrong with keeping clean; that is unless it is really causing a problem with your day to day living, in which case you need to get to the reason why you are doing it and try and wean yourself out of your habit.

That's what everyone else keeps telling me...

And yeah, it is causing a big problem for me...
  • Options
    then you need to sort out what it is that makes you think you need to do it?
    what was the reason last time you did it? - do you feel dirty, like when you touched the agar?! - are you scared of germs or catching something?! - if so then your problem is probably more so related to paranoia or anxiety.
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    then you need to sort out what it is that makes you think you need to do it?
    what was the reason last time you did it? - do you feel dirty, like when you touched the agar?!

Probably after going to the tolet I think...
  • Options
    Probably after going to the tolet I think...

Well one could only hope that you would wash your hands after that. ;) Washing hands is not bad obviously but when it becomes excessive an hinders your every day life it is something that needs to be delt with. Have you considered it could be OCD? If your current dr can't seem to do anything about it see a different one. A psyc or a regular. Now I'm not one to promote doctors when its some minor thing, oh i have a cut, go see your gp or what the fuck ever. But it could very well be something more serious that is quite easily treated.

:edited ba do ba ba:
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Though, on another note, a more downer of one. It could be a sign of OCD.

I've been told this for the last 2 months but the doctor thinks that its nothing, therefore nothing has been done to help me...
  • Options
    I've been told this for the last 2 months but the doctor thinks that its nothing, therefore nothing has been done to help me...

Go to a different doctor. See a psychitraist. There are more options than one persons opinion.
  • Options
    tbh I don't think it's OCD from what you say (I could be wrong), it just sounds like you have a "tweak". This could be due to stress and without you even knowing it. When stress builds up we have to let it out some way, these can be by all different ways, grunts, twitching, repeated touching of things etc. Sounds weird but people let stress out different ways, that's what an old councillor said to me once (or along those lines).

If your not happy with what your GP said then go back one more time and actually tell him that your not happy with what he said and that you want it investigated further. If he still does nothing then go get a second opinion.

They won't give you any kind of medication, just a few sessions with a councillor on the NHS or you'd have to book a private one.

Why not look at www.ocdaction.org.uk - check their forums, their mostly OCD suffers and would be able to give you some advice.
  • Options
    Felix, what you said in your first paragraph, the doctor told me that when I first went to see him...
  • Options
    Do you ever have the feeling that something bad will happen if you don't wash your hands?

Ilora x
  • Options
    I was gonna come to that.

How do you feel if you wash your hands just once? Do you HAVE to do it, do you feel kinda uneasy if you don't do it twice or more?

I've had these lil tweaks since I was young (still do), sometimes if I don't put something back in it's place, say a magazine and the corners aren't flush I notice that it's not flush and then think "ahh sod it", but then I've thought about it and I have to do it other wise I get tense and think something may happen to me. I told this to my councillor and he didn't really say much, I doubt it's OCD I have, just stress I think as I do it all the time when I feel anxious or stressed.
  • Options
    Not really, but I don't like my hands being dirty. Also, I wash them after I touch hair/fur...
  • Options
    If you're not satisfied, see another doctor. You will need a gp to refer you anyway if you think a psychiatrist would be beneficial.

I know you say it's really bothering you but these sorts of things have to be affecting your daily life to a certain degree before a doctor will refer you. A psychiatrist would assess that also, and decide whether you meet the criteria for an OCD diagnosis. I think for OCD you have to be spending an amount of time each day, im not sure if its an hour or more than that, carrying out the compulsions.

As already mentioned maybe the doc thinks its anxiety or stress that he thinks will resolve itself soon??

Whatever happens treatment for it would be cognitive behaviour therapy.
  • Options
    i wouldn't say it sounds like OCD, cause OCD consists of obsessions and compulsions. the compulsions are used to diminish the stress of the obsessions.

it is possible just to have obsessions and still be diagnosed with OCD, but i've never heard of just have compulsions and being diagnosed.

if you don't know what drives you to do it, i'd suggest your problem is more habit or anxiety based.