Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Hurricane names

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How do they know the names of Hurricanes?

How do they know which one is Katrina and which is Rita? .. I don't get it.

Like Haley's comet comes and goes on a regular basis and is an object that can be tracked, so they can name it and know when it coming next .. how does the same thing work for storms or hurricanes?

Comments

• Options
    I think its based on the name of the wife of the bloke who notices it first.
  • Options
    they alternate through the alphabet and name them with female names as we all know they like to blow.

They are tracked with satellites, obviously.
  • Options
    I always thought they worked their way through the alphabet naming them, but since the last one was Katrina and now this one is Rita, hmmm :chin:
  • Options
    I always thought they worked their way through the alphabet naming them, but since the last one was Katrina and now this one is Rita, hmmm :chin:
    Not all of them are big. They track the smaller ones too - but obviously no threat means we don't get to hear about them
  • Options
    BrightSide wrote:
    Not all of them are big. They track the smaller ones too - but obviously no threat means we don't get to hear about them
    I see.

Found this on this website. Yes Im bored :(
    How are hurricanes named?Lots of people think that hurricanes were always named after women - because of our volatile nature, no doubt - and that only recently did they start alternating between male and female names because of feminist outcry. Not true.

Prior to 1950 storms weren't officially named at all. From 1950 to 1952 they were named simply Able, Baker, Charlie, Dog, Easy, Fox, George...not very imaginative, but it sufficed. From 1953 to 1978 someone (my guess a man going through a nasty divorce) decided to use only female names. Finally, in 1979, they started alternating between male and female names.

Hurricanes are named alphabetically, years in advance and starting the alphabet over each year. (If you get a Hurricane Wanda, you know you have had a busy storm season.) The Atlantic and the Pacific have separate naming lists.

These are the names assigned to Atlantic storms for the 2005 Hurricane Season:

Arlene Harvey Ophelia
    Bret Irene Philippe
    Cindy Jose Rita
    Dennis Katrina Stan
    Emily Lee Tammy
    Franklin Maria Vince
    Gert Nate
    Wilma
  • Options
    they work off these lists (on a 6 year rotation):

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutnames.shtml

if there's a particularly bad hurricane (like andrew) they take it off the list forever and replace it with a new name.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    they work off these lists (on a 6 year rotation):

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutnames.shtml

if there's a particularly bad hurricane (like andrew) they take it off the list forever and replace it with a new name.

interesting .. so there was 5 other Hurricanes between Katrina and Rita but the others didn't get on the news?

Arlene
    Bret
    Cindy
    Dennis
    Emily
    Franklin
    Gert
    Harvey
    Irene
    Jose
    Katrina
    Lee
    Maria
    Nate
    Ophelia
    Philippe
    Rita
    Stan
    Tammy
    Vince
    Wilma
  • Options
    interesting .. so there was 5 other Hurricanes between Katrina and Rita but the others didn't get on the news?

It's hurricane season...they're not that uncommon, it's just very few hit land and do substantial damage like Katrina has and Rita will do.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I want one Called "OMG Hurricane!!1one"
  • Options
    i can see it now ...evacuate evacuate ...beckyboos cumin!
  • Options
    And rolly the only one left with his arms open wide!
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    And rolly the only one left with his arms open wide!
    she'll stab ya you know ...
  • Options
    she'll stab ya you know ...

with what? I'm miles away :D
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    with what? I'm miles away :D
    solog says ...a big fuck off hurricane named beckyboo will devastate northern ireland ...soon.