Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Personal Dryness

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, so for the last couple days my woman area has been very dry. Like how you feel when your lips are super chapped, well thats what its like. Obviously if it persists I'll call the dr but I was wondering if anybody had any ideas on what it is, anything I could do to help it and such like that. Thanks in advance peoples.

Comments

• Options
    Any discharge?

Have you tried emollient cream such as E45?
  • Options
    Never heard of it, what is it so maybe I can find something similar. And no discharge no nothing at all. Just ultra dry, only symptom. I have recently started a new type of pill, as well as i've just finished u some antibiotics for a UTI my guy thinks it may have something to do with that. I was just thinking maybe something like a feminine moisturizer if they have that would be all i need. I was just curious if anybody had any idea or tips so I could just stop off at the store after work.
  • Options
    Some antibiotics will make you more prone to thrush after you've taken them, hence I was asking about d/c.

You could try natural live yoghurt, applied liberally PV, which promotes colonisation of the vagina with Lactobacillus ("friendly bacteria").

E45 is a moisturiser. Ask the chemist for some emollient cream or aqueous cream. And you might want to use KY for intercourse if you find it's a bit sore.
  • Options
    Are you talking like yogurt you eat? I dont think its a yeast infection because there are no other symptoms. So you think just a moisturizer? If anythiing persists after that i'll call the dr up. Thanks dude.
  • Options
    No you don't eat it, you shove it up your vaj. But that's for thrush, or the prevention thereof.

Obviously see you doc if it doesn't improve with a moisturiser.
  • Options
    Dryness happens to women occasionally, it may just be due to your hormones. If this persists though it could be a side effect of your new pill, so tell your doctor. It's important to keep trying new pills untill you find one thats right for you. I got through around 4 different types trying to find one right for my body. I personally wouldn't use e45 in such an intimate area, if you need to use something try a feminine wash that restores the ph balence and don't be afraid to talk to your doctor or pharmacist to see what they recommend. In the mean while if sex is dry try using lubes. Personally though i find that for a few days a month i'm arrid due to my hormonal changes, i wouldn't worry too much though, but do avoid using tampons untill it clears up.
  • Options
    satehen wrote:
    I personally wouldn't use e45 in such an intimate area
    E45 is harmless, honestly. You're right though that harsh soaps can be irritant to the sensitive skin there.
  • Options
    satehen wrote:
    I personally wouldn't use e45 in such an intimate area, if you need to use something try a feminine wash that restores the ph balence and don't be afraid to talk to your doctor or pharmacist to see what they recommend.
    :yes: I agree. I also think that E45 isn't 'harmless' when applied to inappropriate areas such as intimate areas. E45 Cream contains Lanolin which some people react badly to.

I'd say ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice. Ilora x
  • Options
    I also think that E45 isn't 'harmless' when applied to inappropriate areas such as intimate areas.
    Based on what?
  • Options
    Surely it's common sense not to use a body moisturiser on intimate areas???

Ilora x
  • Options
    This is actually quite interesting, like my_name, Im on antibiotics just now for a UTI and have become really dry and sore over the last few days. Here was me thinking it was just another wonderful side effect of being pregnant :chin:
  • Options

It isn't really like the usual body moituriser, E45 and other aqueous creams are free of skin irritants so they're quite safe to use on the vulva etc.

Vulval pain and discomfort
  • Options
    Surely it's common sense that dry skin benefits from moisture???

Honestly, E45 is perfectly safe for use externally 'down below'. Blimey, girl, yesterday in Gynae clinic my boss prescribed Dermovate for a woman's dry itchy vulva!
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Surely it's common sense that dry skin benefits from moisture???

Honestly, E45 is perfectly safe for use externally 'down below'. Blimey, girl, yesterday in Gynae clinic my boss prescribed Dermovate for a woman's dry itchy vulva!
    Yes, there are certain medicated creams and ointments you can use, but I'd personally only use them after being directed by a doctor. I know someone who uses Trimovate on their bits n pieces, but again, only as prescribed by their GP.

Ilora x
  • Options
    Yes, there are certain medicated creams and ointments you can use, but I'd personally only use them after being directed by a doctor. I know someone who uses Trimovate on their bits n pieces, but again, only as prescribed by their GP.

Ilora x
    Is that the same as saying that "E45 isn't 'harmless' when applied to inappropriate areas such as intimate areas"?

Trimovate is a steroid cream and is only available on prescription. E45 is an emollient.
  • Options
    I'm getting exceedingly bored of arguing with you, so I'm just going to stop.

All I do want to say is that if someone is experiencing dry skin around their intimate parts, then they should see a doctor before applying creams to the area.
    By using beauty products (or whatever - Creams like E45) around your intimate parts you are risking changing the hormonal balance of the genitals, which can lead to thrush and other yeast infections.
    I'm airing on cautious, is all.

Ilora x
  • Options
    You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
  • Options
    WHAT!? :eek: I am a woman. I have a vagina.

I am also educated enough to know what's healthy and what's not.

Sod off Kentish.
  • Options
    I'm an educated woman too, I've used E45 cream there before and it was fine. I also cited a source which suggested it was fine to use E45, even recommended it for vulval discomfort, but that was glossed over.
  • Options
    I am also educated enough to know what's healthy and what's not.
    This is what is in dispute, not your anatomical credentials.

If you still don't believe me, just Google for vulval problems or read Sabrina's link.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I have used E45 for dryness in my intimate areas and have never had any problems. For me, it would be my first port of call for dryness and things there. If it didn't clear up then I would go to the doctors :yes:
  • Options
    I have used E45 for dryness in my intimate areas and have never had any problems. For me, it would be my first port of call for dryness and things there. If it didn't clear up then I would go to the doctors :yes:
    e45 or aqueos cream would be fine to use. Probably any unscented moisturiser would be ok though, but e45 is what most doctors over here would subscribe. Theres bound to be an american equivalent.
  • Options
    every time i see this thread title, i start having depeche mode "personal Jesus" going through my head.
  • Options
    Maybe i could have prevented some of the arguing by saying in the first place thta although some of the dryness is outside, alot of it is right by, and slightly in the opening. So no, i'm not using any lotion which i have come to guess what e45 is. i bought k-y silk-e yesterday, it said for immediate relief from intimate dryness and it worked. thanks for the entertainment though.
  • Options
    I had the same thing, I went staright to my clinic and they sorted me out with tests to make sure i didnt have anything and then they helped me try out a different pill. Hormones affect me.
  • Options
    It could actually be a fungal infection like thrush. Sometimes it just affects the vulval area. Maybe you should see a doctor. They would usually precrible an Econazole based product like Gyno Pevaryl cream rather than an over the counter clotrimazole based cream like canesten.