Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Another $1bn stolen from Iraq

Out of the budget for re-arming, training and supplying the new Iraqi forces some $1 billion, out and out con's, over paying, no bidding on contracts, stuff not arriving.....the list is long.

I dont think the war was purely for profit, there was a myriad of reasons, but this kind of money buy's powerful lobbying.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4260892.stm
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think this is where the media shifts the blame onto the Iraqi's (through corruption claims, the odd scandal, some true reports of what's goin on there like the tank raid from yesterday etc etc) for the massive failure the invasion has been.

The thought occurs that the bullets etc weren't exactly made at cost to begin with.

Looks like we are pulling out. No doubt after installing some nutcase dictator (like Saddam?) again to keep the oil flowing. Who can then help us with Iran.
  • Options
    This $1bn was stolen while the 'interim' government was in place, which was supposed to be over seen by the US forces.

Apparently in one example they paid $3,500 each for brand new MP5's and got $200 Egyptian copies.
  • Options
    This $1bn was stolen while the 'interim' government was in place, which was supposed to be over seen by the US forces.

Oh I am sure the story is true, it's just the fact that we are hearing about it at all makes me wonder. If this is what has happened, I am sure it was meant to.

Look at it this way - the money gets spent and dissapears, the Iraqi's get nothing that can be effectively used against another invasion or that can be used to effectively replace the "coalition" forces either BUT it can be used against a civilian population who no longer have an infrastructure and need to be slaughtered or suppressed.

You really think the yanks were going to outfit a state of the art force to run Iraq?