Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Eyelash Curlers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Who has these and who can work these?

I bought a pair ages ago and I've tried so many times to get them working right. I don't have masses of eyelashes so I find it hard to get the curlers to grab hold of them all. When I squeeze them I usually end up with bends in my lashes instead of curls - or I miss some and they look completely screwed up.

Help! :angel:

Comments

• Options
    I have a pair and they work well with me. However I do have long eyelashes, so they are easier to grasp. On the back of the package it says to hold em for 30 secs, but then I get a sorta "kink" in them if I do that, so I literally hold them for like 5 secs and put mascara on afterwards and that works really well for me.

I think for you, you need to have a nice steady hand to grasp the eyelash and try holding it for only 5 seconds and put the mascara on - I would imagine that if you hold them for too long, they will be too curly and look non-existant.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    You should be getting the curlers right at the base of your eyelashes, if you find they aren't working for you maybe try a curling mascara as you will get the same effect with less hassle!
  • Options
    Eyelash curlers are my beauty essential.
    Its an absoulte downright lie that using eyelash curlers on your eyelashed when they already have mascara on them makes your eyelashes fall out or whatever.I do this all the time and have done since i was like 14 ive still got a full set!
    Be liberal with them just not with your politics!
  • Options
    Eyelash curlers are my beauty essential.
    Its an absoulte downright lie that using eyelash curlers on your eyelashed when they already have mascara on them makes your eyelashes fall out or whatever.I do this all the time and have done since i was like 14 ive still got a full set!
    Be liberal with them just not with your politics!
    Using curlers after applying mascara damages eyelashes... it's a huge beauty no-no in my book.

If you insist on using mascara first, then I recommend plastering your eyelashes (minus all makeup) with vaseline before you go to bed. It's a really good conditioner for your lashes and helps to counteract the damage you're causing by curling them with mascara on.

Ilora x
  • Options
    i thought you were supposed to curl them before mascara because doing it after would possibly make the mascara stick to the curlers, thus pulling them out, not them just falling out on their own?

never got to grips with them, anyway. i don't get a curl, i just get a right angle. i'd keep trying but my eyelashes are quite long and have a slight curl anyway, so i'm not too bothered.
  • Options
    I use heated curlers. Much easier to use, actually work, and you are supposed to apply mascara first.
  • Options
    Using curlers after applying mascara damages eyelashes... it's a huge beauty no-no in my book.

If you insist on using mascara first, then I recommend plastering your eyelashes (minus all makeup) with vaseline before you go to bed. It's a really good conditioner for your lashes and helps to counteract the damage you're causing by curling them with mascara on.

Ilora x

Rubbish! It does not damage your eyelashes! Soooo many people i know do this and have done for years and have never had ANY trouble with "damaged" eyelashes.Neither have i.
    If you use eyelash curlers incorrectly you are at risk of losing a few lashes regardless of having mascara on or not!
    Realistically who the hell is going to go to bed with vaseline on there eyes.I certaibly wouldnt as i couldnt think of anything worse than trying to go to sleep with it on my eyes and then wake up in the morning with grease all over my face a pillow!
  • Options
    It's not rubbish, putting mascara on eyelashes and then curling them with the scissor type curlers does increase the risk of damage. You and your friends are probably the lucky ones, I know of someone whose lashes 'snapped'.

Lots of people I know put vaseline on their eyelashes. It conditions them, and it's only a tiny bit, it's not like the whole tub is getting scraped out and slapped onto the lash.
  • Options
    go_away wrote:
    It's not rubbish, putting mascara on eyelashes and then curling them with the scissor type curlers does increase the risk of damage. You and your friends are probably the lucky ones, I know of someone whose lashes 'snapped'.

Lots of people I know put vaseline on their eyelashes. It conditions them, and it's only a tiny bit, it's not like the whole tub is getting scraped out and slapped onto the lash.
    Thank you. I knew I wasn't talking 'rubbish'. :rolleyes:

I don't know a lot of things, but makeup and beauty, I do know. :yes:

Ilora x
  • Options
    If you get the metal eyelash curlers you can heat them under a hairdryer and that works well. Also its true you have to use them before you put mascara on because it can damage them otherwise.
  • Options
    Thank you. I knew I wasn't talking 'rubbish'. :rolleyes:

I don't know a lot of things, but makeup and beauty, I do know. :yes:

Ilora x

Question to you Ms Ilora Danon : Do you use eyelash curlers after applying mascara everyday? Have you done so for over 5 years?
    or...
    Is it that youve read not to do it in beauty magazines and have taken this as gospel?
    Im guessing its the latter.Like already stated me and alot of other woman i know have done this for years and have never had any problems.Im not about to believe something that i know to be untrue just because its written in a magazine.Im sure some woman have taken there eyelashes off using eyelash curlers.Not all necessarily by wearing mascara first but by having cheap curlers.
    Im also sure that a friend of a friends aunties cousin whos twice removed mother dyes her hair alot,hair has fallen out because of it.
    Im not going to stop bleaching and dying my hair every month cos it.My hair has never fallen out and ive been dying it for 9 years!
    Do you get my point?
  • Options
    Like already stated me and alot of other woman i know have done this for years and have never had any problems.Im not about to believe something that i know to be untrue just because its written in a magazine.

just cause it's not happened to you or your friends (yet) doesn't mean it's not true.

my friend has never worn sun cream and burns quite often. she hasn't got skin cancer yet and neither has anyone else i know, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
  • Options
    Question to you Ms Ilora Danon : Do you use eyelash curlers after applying mascara everyday? Have you done so for over 5 years?
    No, of course I don't. Why would I do something I know is bad for me!?

Look, there's no need to patronise me, by suggesting I'm naive enough to believe everything I read in magazines. I've learnt a lot about beauty from reading books on the subject, from well respected and admired Makeup Artists.

It's fair enough if you're happy using your eyelash curlers the way you want to, and thinking that it's not going to damage your eyelashes, that's fine. But don't tell me I'm talking crap.

I'm guessing you're the one who doesn't know a lot about beauty yourself, if you continue to believe that it is the right thing to use eyelash curlers after applying mascara.

Ilora x
  • Options
    No, of course I don't. Why would I do something I know is bad for me!?

Look, there's no need to patronise me, by suggesting I'm naive enough to believe everything I read in magazines. I've learnt a lot about beauty from reading books on the subject, from well respected and admired Makeup Artists.

It's fair enough if you're happy using your eyelash curlers the way you want to, and thinking that it's not going to damage your eyelashes, that's fine. But don't tell me I'm talking crap.

I'm guessing you're the one who doesn't know a lot about beauty yourself, if you continue to believe that it is the right thing to use eyelash curlers after applying mascara.

Ilora x
    Personally i have better things to worry about than whether my eyelashes will fall out or not.