Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Slim-Fast/Calorie intake

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've gotten so desperate to lose weight that I'm resorting to Slim-Fast, which I know are about 200 calories per portion. I'm just wondering, if I'm 5ft 4" how many calories should I be taking in a day? :confused:

Comments

• Options
    Just exercise more if you want to lose weight & it to stay off, and cut out the crap.
  • Options
    You're about the same height as me. What do you weigh, if you don't mind me asking?
  • Options
    i think she said a little while ago, look down the page, near the bottom of the page of posts, i can't be arsed.
    Quick fixes don't keep the weight off so she still needs to get off her but & exercise imo.
  • Options
    9 stone 3? :impissed: Don't see what you're complaining about tbh.
  • Options
    Yeh, I'm 9'3 but thats after losing half a stone, I'm normally about 9'9-ish. I'm only really looking for a quick fix,for the hallowe'en party at school, it's not forever. I know once I get to the weight I want I'll be more motivated to keep it off, cos whilst I'm pretty motivated now, once I can see the results I'll be doubly so.

ScytherChick, anything over 8'5 is huge for me, I've put on a stone in the last 6 months and I've lost all my confidence,I miss my figure :(
  • Options
    I think it would be more benficiail if you thought about losing weight in the long term if you are so unhappy instead of short term. Short term fixes aren't healthy. Just cut the junk food and fizzy juice and do exercise and there you go.
  • Options
    im 5'4 but i weigh 10st2. im a size ten, my friend is 5'3 and shes 8.5stone and shes a size 12.

Forget the scales and use a tape measure, your weight is like all your organs, bones, skin etc not just body fat. The scales are silly if you ask me
  • Options
    Anything faddy - like Slim Fast etc, may make you lose weight - but you'll almost certainly put it back on in future. If you're serious about losing weight you have to be 100% serious about making *permanent* lifestyle changes, which includes exercising, and a much better diet, none of this milkshake nonsense (I tried a little of my aunt's - it tastes like newspaper - which probably makes up most of the 'bulk' to fill you up). You only have one body - treat it well.
  • Options
    Is it 2500 cal/day for guys and 2000 cal/day for girls?
  • Options
    k@tie wrote:
    Yeh, I'm 9'3 but thats after losing half a stone, I'm normally about 9'9-ish. I'm only really looking for a quick fix,for the hallowe'en party at school, it's not forever. I know once I get to the weight I want I'll be more motivated to keep it off, cos whilst I'm pretty motivated now, once I can see the results I'll be doubly so.

ScytherChick, anything over 8'5 is huge for me, I've put on a stone in the last 6 months and I've lost all my confidence,I miss my figure :(
    "Huge"?! Maybe you need to take a look at your body image. I'm 9st9 and I'm 2" shorter than you.
  • Options
    go_away wrote:
    You only have one body - treat it well.

:yes:

Faddy diets really aren't the way forward. They're unsatisfying so you won't stick at it for long - and they play havoc with you health. Much better to try and find a long-term healthy eating solution. Check out some of the articles on TheSite to get you started:

http://www.thesite.org/healthandwellbeing/fitnessanddiet/healthyeating

:)
  • Options
    k@tie wrote:
    I've gotten so desperate to lose weight that I'm resorting to Slim-Fast, which I know are about 200 calories per portion. I'm just wondering, if I'm 5ft 4" how many calories should I be taking in a day? :confused:
    i did the same thing a few years ago (before i was vegan). i just had 1 slim fast (200kcals)/day - which was a stupid thing to do. anyway, the idea with slim fast is to follow their guidelines so replace 2 meals with the shake and have a proper meal either for lunch/dinner. from the bit that you've said its impossible to work out how many kcals you need in a day: what sex are you? how active are you? - etc ... as a general rule a diet would be 1000-1500kcals / day but that depends on a hell of a lot of factors: and you need to be balancing carbs with protein and fat with essential nutrients. i mean if it matters to you so much, then why not ask your GP to be referred to a dietician... who will presumably help you to come up with a sensible diet plan!
  • Options
    I really wouldn't worry. I'm 5'2 and 10 stone and wouldn't say i look over weight/unhealthy. Personally i think slim fast is a bit of bore there are so many healthy alterntives to meals and snacks that are so much more filling, and probabley better for you.