Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Makeup adivce?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,
I've always had problems about knowing which kind of makeup to use.. and I'm kinda getting bored of my regular eyeliner, concealer, foundation routine. My main problem is my skin.. I used Maybelline wonder finish foundation, but the finish is anything but a wonder :( By the end of the day, it always seems to have rubbed off and I end up with odd blotches on my face :/ I get quite a few spots and although I start okish, by the end of the day theyre really obvious. So could anyone recommend me a good foundation thats under 10 pounds? I've tried avon, dream matte mousse and the one I'm currently using but none seem to have worked..

The next thing is just makeup in general..

There's a pic of me HERE *cringes*

Atm, all I use is eyeliner.. I just dunno what else would suit me. I wanna experiment with eyeshadow n stuff but not end up looking like a 5 year old whos discovered her mothers makeup bag.. :/ I'm pretty clueless. My hairs kinda reddish brown and my eyes are green.

Any recommendations are greatly apprecciated! Thanks! ;)

Comments

• Options
    to be honest by looking at that pic i dont think u need to wear foundation, as you seem to have really nice skin, naturally!
    you can buy quite cheap palletes of eye shadow from places like markets which have lots of colours on them, so you could experiment with different looks with out spending a fortune+once you find the colours that suit you you can buy a nicer eyeshadow in that colour.
    also, do you wear mascara? if so, what colour?
  • Options
    Lol, thankyou, but I think that photo makes my skin look kinda different to how it is :S I don't wear mascara.. and as for eyeshadow.. do you know any good techniques I could try? Thanks :)
  • Options
    I look very plain so I wouldn't take advice from me :p but my secret wonder is lip gloss. Not lipstick, but lip gloss. I love it and I think just adding it makes a world of a difference. And blush never hurt... actually I've seen some people where it does hurt alot. But maybe just a hint of colour on the cheeks. And as for foundation, "outlast all-day" by covergirl or stay put by max factor
  • Options
    Do you think clear lip gloss? And do you know anywhere online where I could buy any of those foundations? Thankyou!
  • Options
    Yeah, I agree you don't really need foundation. That said, if you are going to buy foundation for a professional finish you do need to get a £15+ one, but one that is perfect for your needs. I used to use Estee Lauder Ideal Matte at £20 when I could afford it, as I have oily skin and blocked pores and only a little of this covered it. The cheaper version of this is the Maybelline Dream Matte, which you have said you already used.

As you said it goes on patchy, I can assume that you don't wear moisturiser. an oil free one, well rubbed in and then left for about 5 mins while you put your eye make-up on should make a difference, but make sure it is soaked in or base will just slip off. Can I recommend the day moisturiser from the Boots own Tea Tree and Witch Hazel range , which should only cost about £4.

Try ebay for cheap clinique and estee lauder foundations, just make sure you get one for what you want - like mattifying or just light coverage. They can be sold in small trial sizes so you can try before you buy a huge one.

For eyeshadow, this might be a bit pricey but is a good start - Almay have brought out 3 colour pallets named "Intense I-color" - this is good hypoallergenic make-up. Basically you use the bottom colour on your lid, the middle in the crease, and the top one up to the browbone. The colours are specially selected for your eyecolour. I have brown/hazel eyes so mine goes pink/brown/whitey beige.

For professional advice I recommend The 21st Century Beauty Bible or just as good if you are on a budget is the Mac make-up CD Rom which you may have seen mentioned on here. It is used to train mac make-up artists and is pretty comprehensive. yOu should be able to get it for about a fiver on ebay if you type in mac make-up.

I hope this helps. I've made enough mistakes in my time to know what is good advice now!! :flirt:
  • Options
    leese wrote:
    Yeah, I agree you don't really need foundation. That said, if you are going to buy foundation for a professional finish you do need to get a £15+ one, but one that is perfect for your needs. I used to use Estee Lauder Ideal Matte at £20 when I could afford it, as I have oily skin and blocked pores and only a little of this covered it. The cheaper version of this is the Maybelline Dream Matte, which you have said you already used.

I disagree. I've tried many many different foundations. And I have found very little difference between the quality and stay power of expensive make up or something like covergirl or loreal. All that matters is you get the type you are looking for. Get some that are specificaly designed for long wear.
  • Options
    Your Maybelline Wonder Finish foundation is fine. I use that, then Bourjois Teint Essentiel powder. I then use 17 blusher, and Bourjois eyeshadow, then Benefit eye mascara, Miss Sporty eyeliner, Carmex lipbalm..and you come up with this -
  • Options
    Why don't you pop to a makeup counter in Boots or a large department store? If you browse long enough someone will pounce on you and you can tell them all your woes and they'll help you out.

I only wear foundation when I'm going out in the evenings. If you've got spotty skin the best thing to do is to let the air get to the skin. If you're wearing foundation all the time it'll just clog up the pores and your spots won't heal.

The best thing to do is play around with eyeshadows to see what suits you best. Stick to washes of colour until you perfect the art of blending different shades (by wash I mean not too heavy or obvious).

I always think you should either dress up your eyes or your lips - never both. Gwen Stefani can get away with the bright red lips because her eyes are just black - no weird eyeshadows etc.
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote:

I always think you should either dress up your eyes or your lips - never both. Gwen Stefani can get away with the bright red lips because her eyes are just black - no weird eyeshadows etc.

Ohhh that is a very good point!
  • Options
    I don't trust or like cheap foundation, and find that most people who buy cheap foundation end up lookin like an orange. (Yes, mass generalisation, but whatever).

I had a consultation with a Calvin Klein Makeup rep a few years ago, and they showed me the best colours to use on my skin. Ever since then, it's been decent makeup, or no makeup, never a compromise.

Now I use either MAC foundation or Max Factor - The MF one is absolutely awesome, and it's a steal at just £12 a bottle. (The MAC one was around £18 I think, and the CK one was a similar price).

I definitely recommend talking to someone at a makeup counter (but not Christian Dior as they always look like they've been messing in mummy's makeup bag, without a mirror) Clinique are good with foundation. I mean, once you've had a free makeup sesh, there's nothing to say you have to buy a foundation from them, you just know what colours suit you without spending a fortune trying different foundations.

With eyeshadow, I find that using a proper makeup paint brush always helps to create that 'makeup artist' look, rather than using those horrible sponge applicators you get with cheap eyeshadows. Practise, Practise, Practise. That's all it takes. Good luck!!

Ilora x
  • Options
    Thanks everyone.. quite a lot of advice to take in :crazyeyes but I think I get it lol :thumb:
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    I disagree. I've tried many many different foundations. And I have found very little difference between the quality and stay power of expensive make up or something like covergirl or loreal. All that matters is you get the type you are looking for. Get some that are specificaly designed for long wear.

I think it does depend on the coverage you are looking for, the majority of 'young' people just need it to even out the slight imperfections in skin tone. HOever, I need heavy coverage as I have quite bad pigmentation and as such, the more expensive ones are better as they still give a natural finish even if you are using quite a lot.