Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Real Hair Extensions

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok so t'other day I had some hair extensions in my fringe and front part of my hair...my hairdresser said they were real hair ones and they were slightly more expensive than the ones I've had before, but the bonus is I can straighten them and they won't melt.

I love them and everything but one things really bugging me and nobody really seems to know...if they're real hair, where does it come from?!

I know it sounds like a stupid question but I'm really curious!!
Anybody knowww? x

Comments

• Options
    people who are so poor and hungry that they sell their own hair for food?:(
  • Options
    Zella wrote:
    people who are so poor and hungry that they sell their own hair for food?:(

See, thats what I've been thinking, and its like...I really hope thats not it! Surely they don't do that?

I didn't think about it at the time though. :-/
  • Options
    I've seen on lots of makeover programmes that when men have their 'ponytails' cut off, they donate them to wigmakers etc, (mainly for people suffering from alopecia, leukemia etc).

I'm sure most of the hair is donated.

Ilora x
  • Options
    I've seen on lots of makeover programmes that when men have their 'ponytails' cut off, they donate them to wigmakers etc, (mainly for people suffering from alopecia, leukemia etc).

I'm sure most of the hair is donated.

that's an american thing. i'm fairly sure there isn't the same thing here, cause i looked into it when i had all my hair chopped, and there's no UK charity like Locks of Love, and hair merchants don't buy from individuals.

i'm fairly sure they buy hair in bulk from hairdressers to make human hair pieces.

one of my friends told me they came from dead people, but i think he was just trying to upset me :(
  • Options
    It comes from a mix of sources, there is importation from places like India and Russia and, well you can guess from whom it comes from there. There were rumours that Posh's hair came from Russian prisoners.

There is something a ghoulish about putting someone elses hair in your own if you ask me.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    There is something a ghoulish about putting someone elses hair in your own if you ask me.

:yes:

Gross, my brother's girlfriend had brown extensions under her blonde. :no: Disgusting, she just looked tacky and horrid (more so than usual haha).

A little is cool, a lot is Jordan esque in my opinion :yuck:
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    kaffrin wrote:
    that's an american thing. i'm fairly sure there isn't the same thing here, cause i looked into it when i had all my hair chopped, and there's no UK charity like Locks of Love, and hair merchants don't buy from individuals.

This is what Cancer Help have to say about donating human hair...
  • Options
    I heard something about Russian women and prisoners or something a while back...

How much did they cost, by the way? If my hair isn't an okay length by June next year (my prom!) I'm definately looking into it.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:

Yeeeah. I'm thinking that now, especially since I still don't know where the hairs come from! hmmm. Good job I haven't got a full head of them in.
    FilthyChav wrote:
    How much did they cost, by the way? If my hair isn't an okay length by June next year (my prom!) I'm definately looking into it.

They were £4 each, but I only had 4 in so I'm guessing it'd turn out to be a bit more expensive if you had lots in to lengthen your hair. I've used them to turn my hair black blonde and pink ;) hehe but I love it.
  • Options
    FilthyChav wrote:
    I heard something about Russian women and prisoners or something a while back...

For a full head of human hair extensions, you're probably looking at in the region of £200-£300, depending on how long you want to go, and how long you already are.

I wouldn't recommend it though, they turn your natural hair to shit when they come out.

Ilora x
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:

one of my friends told me they came from dead people, but i think he was just trying to upset me :(

i was going to say that. :p

have you never seen on a donor card before where you can tick the 'donate my hair' box? ;)
  • Options
    i remember years ago when we lived in london, one of the hairdressers in selfridges asked my mum if she wanted to chop it off and sell it to make wigs and extensions