Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Needles + injections etc

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is anyone like really freaked out by them?

Has anyone had to over come their fear of it?

Drips as well......

What are your feelings about them.....do they freak you out? or are you not bothered? have you had any bad experiences with needles etc?

Comments

• Options
    I don't like them, at all. The mere thought of having a blood test makes me quiver. However, I know that sometimes these things are necessary so acting like a baby for ten minutes is worth it in the end!
  • Options
    Last time I had a blood test I passed out if that helps ya. Then when I went in for an operation I almost passed out when given the anesthetic, not a bad thing I guess as i was gonna be going to sleep anyway lol

Ive never been a great fan of them, am still due for my BCG, am DREADING it sooooo badly. Saw people sit and have it before they decided I cudnt have it in school lol
  • Options
    doesnt bother me in the slightest.
  • Options
    im so freaked out by it...i fainted when i was 10 when i had a blood test.

im so freaked out by it i refuse to have a blood test. silly but i just cant face having one :(
  • Options
    I don't like them, but I can handle it.
  • Options
    did your mum hate having them as well?
  • Options
    no my mum is so fine with it.

She is apalled by my fear of it actually. she thinks im immature :(
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I hate needles (or actually anything needle-like). When I was 10 the doctor had to literally chase me and pin me down for an injection.
    Last summer I had to have a blood test, I just closed my eyes and pretended I was somewhere else. It didn't help much, but at least I was a bit calm.
  • Options
    For some reason, they don't bother me. However, I hate having the thing put in the back of my wrist before an operation... (Lastb time, I had it put on in the inside of my elbow which is even worse...)
  • Options
    needles and stuff make me feel all jelly kneed, last time i had a blood test i had to sit with the fan on me for 10 min because i nearly fainted. It was only because i saw the blood in the tube after.
  • Options
    i really hate dental injections though.
  • Options
    don't bother me at all, as long as i don't watch. i'm a bit funny about skin being pierced (especially when it's mine!) but so long as i don't see, they can do pretty much anything to me, and it doesn't concern me. good job really, cause i'm like a human pincushion atm.

taking tablets however = :nervous: if there was the choice to inject yourself rather than have to take pills, i would do it every time.
  • Options
    I don't like them... But unfortunatly I have learnt to not be bothered by them because I have regular blood tests, have had regular injections, have had two drips etc etc... you sort of get used to them. I don't mind blood tests at all anymore because I've had so many... injections I'm still not fond of but a lot better than I was due to having to have a fair few of them too.
    I think if you have to have something done a lot you do just learn to get on with it even if you're scared.
  • Options
    Dont bother me, except last time for some reason it made me incredibly dizzy. not sure why.
    just applied for a job as a phlebotomist though(the person that takes blood) so id bettet get over it anyway!!
  • Options
    Doesn't bother me, once the needle is in, I actually like watching my blood being taken etc
  • Options
    I thought I would be squeamish about these things, but im not really. There's like a pinch then once the needle is in, there's no pain really. I don't like the look of the big needles, I prefer the little butterfly-type ones which are smaller, but once its in, its ok and I can deal with it.

Dunno bout drips though, never had one.
  • Options
    My fear of needles is out of control.
    Il give you some kind of idea...
    My mother nearly died of menengitis 6 years ago because my phobia was so extreme i couldnt bring myself to get the vaccination.So despite seeing my mum literally on her death bed i couldnt go thru with it.
    I had cognitive therapy for it when i was 15 but it failed to help.
    I have a really big issue with needles.I think it vaguely has something to do with the trned that hit nightclubs in the 90's when people were getting stabbed with needles infected with the HIV virus.Yes i know...dont even go there.
  • Options
    My fear of needles is out of control.
    Il give you some kind of idea...
    My mother nearly died of menengitis 6 years ago because my phobia was so extreme i couldnt bring myself to get the vaccination.So despite seeing my mum literally on her death bed i couldnt go thru with it.
    I had cognitive therapy for it when i was 15 but it failed to help.
    I have a really big issue with needles.I think it vaguely has something to do with the trned that hit nightclubs in the 90's when people were getting stabbed with needles infected with the HIV virus.Yes i know...dont even go there.
    how come your mother nearly died because YOU didnt get the vaccination?
    Youre not responsible for all meningitis infections.
    Plus the meningitis that you get vaccinated for is Meningitis C, which is viral meningitis. The Meningitis that kills and causes brain damage, is Meningitis B, which is bacterial meningitis.
    Being vaccinated against meningitis C will not protect you from meningitis B.
    I think its a bit worrying that people dont know the difference. They may think theyve had the vax, therefore those weird symptoms cant possibly be meningitis...................
  • Options
    Sorry my grammer in the most important sentence was wrong....
    What i meant to say was although i watched my mum nearly die because of menengitis,i still didnt get the vaccination because of my fear of needles.I by no means gave the virus to my mother because i didnt have the vaccination...
    I need to brush up on my grammer.
  • Options
    well youre still ok, because the vaccination is for menC rather than menB which is likely what your mum had.

both my brother and my uncle have had menB as children and are both deaf as a result, but I havent been vaccinated against menC.
    There isnt actually a vaccine for MenB, which as I said, is the killer one.
  • Options
    i used to realllllly hate them, but now i have a mumps injection coming up and am not phased. but i do feel a tad queasy thinking about it. :(
  • Options
    I'm not keen. I just look away-as long as I don't see it I can handle it for the most part.
  • Options
    eek :nervous:
  • Options
    I am absolutely terrified of needles, injections, etc and I am very worried about having my first ever blood test. The thought of it freaks me out big time.
    me 2 :(
  • Options
    I have a terrible fear of them - I've nearly passed out after all mine. I can't look at a needle, can't look at images or anything, and I usually make a break for it when near one.

I'm well brave me :D
  • Options
    I am absolutely terrified of needles, injections, etc and I am very worried about having my first ever blood test. The thought of it freaks me out big time.

I've had 3 or 4, though I can't help you on the injection front, just grit your teeth. It's mildly uncomfortable, but it's shortlived
  • Options
    Im fine with normal injections

as someone else said though, I cant stand dentist injections! They are evil!!

I would rather have an injection in my arm and be knocked out at the dentist!
  • Options
    I absolutely despise injections. Seen my mate in intensive care with thousands of wires coming off his chest, hands etc and it just makes me feel ill.

I dont think i could ever have a blood test :nervous:
  • Options
    Not madly keen, but don't mind it. Its quite sickening to watch the blood fill up the tube though. The last ones I had, the woman filled up three tubes... I was like.. erm do you want to leave some for me?!!
  • Options
    they don't bother me at all. My only bad experience was having an IV cannula snap in the middle while it was in my wrist.