Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Losing weight... is there really an easy way?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What does everyone think about this? Is there really an easy way to lose weight??

What about carb free diets, GI etc... what are people's experiences with these?

I've managed to lose almost 2 stone since April by just cutting out the bad food in my diet. But still eating it occassionally. I eat out at least once a week really, but while at uni go to the gym several times a week.

What are other people's experiences of attempting to lose weight??

Particularly as I was recently diagnosed with PCOS, which apparently was a factor in my weight gain in the last couple of years....

:grump:

Comments

• Options
    I've managed to lose almost 2 stone since April

same with me!! since the beginning of april until now ive lost about 2 stone as well :D (and WELL DONE to you!!)

the way i lost the weight was by following weightwatchers (very loosely mind you!) and walking every day :)

and based on my experience i would recommend weightwatchers to anyone! i was still able to eat chocolate etc but just limited myself so it was pretty easy i thought :) although.. now ive lost 2 stone and am getting close to my goal weight its getting tougher to lose the pounds :P instead of it being about 1 1/2 every week its now like 1/2 or even 0 which is annoying.. but its to be expected really!

when i go to uni next week (argh!! :nervous: ) im planning on going to the gym regularly like you and maybe doing a few aerobics and pilates classes just to keep fit :)
  • Options
    same with me!! since the beginning of april until now ive lost about 2 stone as well :D

:wave: well done you too!!!!!!!!

You should be so proud as well!! I'm so thrilled to be finally sorting out my weight as well. Lol I tried weightwatchers about 1/2 years ago, but no success. I was always really thin and I piled on weight after a bad breakup, and it reached breaking point this year. I HAD ENOUGH!! And now it's going back down!!

Lol uni is so much fun, I'm jealous that you're only just starting! Im in my final year, but looking forward to the gym.

Losing weight has given me so much confidence back too :)

Yay for us darl!!!! :D
  • Options
    When I was dieting I found Slimming World easily the best. You've got the groups which are all friendly and helpful, and really good books by them too. And I think their eating plans are great. They're the best if you want to improve your figure long term.

I loved Slim Fast believe it or not. I enjoyed making the milkshakes and I liked the taste. And I lost a lot of weight on it. But it's quite limiting and gets boring after a while, so it's probably only good for a short term run, like if you only wanted to be slim for a wedding or something.
  • Options
    Within a year I've lost about 2stone, simply by knowing my limits. With a bit of exercise.

I was quite proud of that considering I wasn't even trying that much. Just when I went up to nearly a size 12 again. I wasn't happy and started to watch what I eat without starving myself.

I actually didn't notice the weight going, as like I said I wasn't even trying to lose it. just bascially making sure I wasn't over indulging. But everyone else kept pointing out to me that I kept losing weight. In a healthy way of course. Now I am really happy with my body. Nearly felt soo comfortable in my own skin. hehe
  • Options
    I've lost 6 stone with Slimming World which is healthy eating basically. It's taken me 2 years so far and I still got another stone to go. And then the surgery..oh yes.
  • Options
    Well before we got made homeless i was doing really well, lost a stone. But since then its been real tough. I was eatting healthier & exercising more. I have started again now.

Well done those who lost weight.
  • Options
    When I started 6th form, I lost 2 stone on Weightwatchers and going to the gym religiously every other day for over a year.

There really isn't a quick fire answer to losing weight. I hate all these obese kids saying 'I've tried every diet under the sun to lose weight' and then go for surgery as their last option.

If they really had tried everything, then they would have figured out that regular exercise over a long period of time, actually is all they need. Lazy buggers won't admit to not actually making any effort physically, just mentally. Grrr.

Ilora x
  • Options
    I just run a couple klicks through forests if I can. Works for me.
  • Options
    There are just two easy steps to losing weight.

1. Eat less crap
    2. Get seom exercise.

In fact, it's the second one which will bring the best benefits.
  • Options
    All these 'diets' are a load of bullshit.
    Theres no need to have to cut things out of your diet.

As above;

Moderation
    Excersize.
  • Options
    People really underestimate the importance of exercise in weightloss, and it saddens me. Mainly, because they go on about being depressed and fat, when exercise is the one thing that will stop you feeling depressed, and get rid of your fat.

Society has gotten far too lazy in recent years, myself included I must admit, but there's no excuse for 'fad dieting' when deep down we all know that exercise is the one thing that burns fat, and keeps it off, healthily.

I think it's a lack of education that's 'helping' all these youngsters to become overweight and unhealthy. Mostly, I blame the parents.

Ilora x
  • Options
    No,there's no easy way. But then,nothing worth doing is easy.

I've lost half a stone in2 weeks by cutting down the crap. I do very little exercise though,I don't have the time after charity and society meetings.
  • Options
    Not all of these "fat obese lazy people" are actually lazy, there are a small number of them who put on weight or cannot shift weight for medical reasons... just as there are some people who cannot put on weight for medical reasons.
  • Options
    Yeah that's fair enough. I have a girl friend who was born without a thyroid, and is as a result, obese. But I haven't got a problem with that at all, because it's a genuine medical reason.

But, there are still the odd million that are just too lazy to stick at the exercise long enough for it to work. :impissed:

Ilora x
  • Options
    Yeah that's fair enough. I have a girl friend who was born without a thyroid, and is as a result, obese. But I haven't got a problem with that at all, because it's a genuine medical reason.

But, there are still the odd million that are just too lazy to stick at the exercise long enough for it to work. :impissed:

Ilora x

I have an underactive one which does have contributions to me being overweight BUT i am also overweight as i ate too much when pregnant. I could easily blame it all on my thyroid but i know its not true. Sure it doesn't help but i can help control it.
    Some people blame it on medical reasons but they don't help themselves, these people annoy me.
    I am in no way saying that some don't have genuine reasons btw.
  • Options
    All these carb diets and eat-only-brown-food ones are all bullshit. In fact, so are all diets.

The only way to lose weight is to burn off more calories than you take in. Just lay off the pies and do some exercise.