Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

When he says I love you first...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How do people deal with this? :nervous:

I've been with my boyfriend now for nearly 5 months. We had issues at the beginning because I saw him as too clingy and a little intense in such a short period of time. He's an absoloute darling, but I'm not sure if I do really love him or not, but am saying it to him on a regular basis because to do otherwise would cause arguments and confidence damage on his part. Is there a more gentle way of easing into this subject? I know I should be less of a coward and say it, but sometimes I do think I feel the same way and thats where it gets muddled. :banghead: When he first broached the subject I told him I didnt feel that strongly yet, but now its on a more regular basis and it's making me nervous. I don't want to hurt him... but knowing he's more serious about me than I am him is worrying me. Although I could just be attempting to protect myself from getting hurt and not allowing myself to feel this way? Dialemma! :crazyeyes

Comments

• Options
    You can't get love in 5 months, and love isn't saying it and feeling nervous about it. :|

Don't let him corner you.
  • Options
    1983 wrote:
    You can't get love in 5 months, and love isn't saying it and feeling nervous about it. :|

lol you see I know this, and I think he knows this too. My reasoning is that I'm the first person he's felt this strongly about.... and that by saying I Love You to me, it's his way of expressing it?

Ah I dont know. It's a bloody mine field. I do care for him, but you're right. I don't think you can have love in 5 months, I just don't want to hurt him :(
  • Options
    I just don't want to hurt him :(

I think it'd hurt more knowing you lied just to save face, petal.

And I also think it's great he loves you so much. He's showing potential that you can get "there". But by "there" I mean loving the good, the bad, the ugly. I think he "loves" the good/honeymoon stage more than anything.
  • Options
    1983 wrote:
    You can't get love in 5 months

you might not be able to. but you can get it in 5 months
  • Options
    Yeah I know. I'm a big fat coward arrrrhhh!! I think we'll just have to see how things go really. I think if he had his way we'd be together 24/7 but he knows I'm a socially orientated person and it just wouldn't work.

Lol he is cute, its adorable how much he cares, just smothering at times. Its been hard over the summer because its been long distance, but back at uni it should be easier and hopefully he'll be more secure. I'm just a coward! But I think your right, the honeymoon bit is always the easiest, its gonna be a test particularly (if we're still together) of graduation next year! arh!
  • Options
    I'd be honest with him.
    My ex lied and said he loved me when he didn't really and it definitely hurt when I realised, plus it made me a lot more wary.
  • Options
    Love at first sight.....
  • Options
    1983 wrote:

I disagree.
  • Options
    I got love at about 2 months. We just clicked. I'm not sure who said it first, but we were both relieved we felt exactly the same way.
  • Options
    i'm not exactly sure when i got love, it was rather quick, we'd already been close friends for ages - we just had that click.
  • Options
    He's been with you 5 months. You cant expect him not to feel anything for you. Why do people get so freaked out by these 3 words? It may not mean 'I want to marry you and impregnate you so we can live in Milton Keynes' all the time yknow. I just link it with strong, intimate feelings.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    1983 wrote:
    You can't get love in 5 months

Yes you can.

In answer to the original post, don't tell him you love him because he told you that he loved you. You will know when you are in love and no-one can tell you when/if that will happen.

If you are saying this:
    I'm not sure if I do really love him or not

I think it is a clear indication that you don't really love him. You can't lead him on by telling him that you do over and over. At the same time, don't just say it because you he is telling you he loves you. Don't feel pressurized to do so.

Take the relationship at your own pace and don't go any quicker than you want to. Cliched as it sounds, you are still young and there is no real rush.
    Rachael wrote:
    Why do people get so freaked out by these 3 words? It may not mean 'I want to marry you and impregnate you so we can live in Milton Keynes' all the time yknow. I just link it with strong, intimate feelings.

I suppose it depends on how much of an emphasis you put on the word "love". For me, falling in love isn't something that happens with every boyfriend or whatever. It is a special thing. And it has a lot of significance. It is a term that is thrown about willy nilly at the moment, which I think is wrong as I think that some people can't tell the difference between love and lust.

But then again, maybe I am old fashioned in my beliefs.
  • Options
    I suppose it depends on how much of an emphasis you put on the word "love". For me, falling in love isn't something that happens with every boyfriend or whatever. It is a special thing. And it has a lot of significance. It is a term that is thrown about willy nilly at the moment, which I think is wrong as I think that some people can't tell the difference between love and lust.

Maybe but I think there are so many different types of love. I dont think anyone should be judged for how they feel. And as for people who just say it out of lust, thats just stupid and unfortunately the other person usually falls for it. But the term itself shouldn't be made a taboo.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Rachael wrote:
    Maybe but I think there are so many different types of love. I dont think anyone should be judged for how they feel. And as for people who just say it out of lust, thats just stupid and unfortunately the other person usually falls for it. But the term itself shouldn't be made a taboo.

I am not judging how people feel as yes, I agree that there are different types of love. But love means a lot more to some people than others. I find it sad when people mix the 2 up and say that they are in love with someone but they aren't really, but that is the way of the world.

I would never tell someone that I loved them unless I was totally sure about it. It is not fair on the other person.

However, I still believe that the term is bandied far too readily. And, sadly tbh, I think this thread is a good example of that.
  • Options
    You mean the original post?

But you don't even know the guy! :confused: So technically you are judging how people feel. Love varies I think and is different for everyone. Fair enough it may be used wrongly. E.g. to get someone into bed yadayada. But on the whole I thought 'love' was supposed to be celebrated?
  • Options
    1983 wrote:

Nonsense. I know people who have become engaged after a matter of weeks and do love each other. If you don't love someone after 5 months, I don't see how that's gonna change?!
  • Options
    I'm guessing you don't believe in "love at first sight" then.
    I don't. You may love how they look, or how they look at you perhaps, but you absolutely cannot love their personality because you haven't got a clue what they are like! It's just a first impression guess-work jobby based on physical appearance. You'd have to agree that love is far more than that.

If you then speak to them, get to know them a bit and get some good vibes going (and straight away they are like you imagined) - then I guess that's when people claim it was love at first sight.
  • Options
    1983 wrote:
    You can't get love in 5 months, and love isn't saying it and feeling nervous about it.

Utter crap!
    I knew i was in love with my boyfriend after only 2 months.I knew absolutly that i loved him but that didnt stop me getting really nervous about telling him this.I mean what if he had turned round and laughed in my face?What if he didnt feel as strongly for me as i did for him.All normal worries.
    You cant put ANY time scale on love.Its ridiculous to even contemplate that.Some people fall in love immeadiatly,for other it takes time and for some it never happens.
    In relation to the original poster...
    Do no tell him you love him if you dont.Its a sure fire way to break someones heart if and inevitably when they find out the truth.
  • Options
    Utter crap!
    I knew i was in love with my boyfriend after only 2 months.I knew absolutly that i loved him but that didnt stop me getting really nervous about telling him this.I mean what if he had turned round and laughed in my face?What if he didnt feel as strongly for me as i did for him.All normal worries.

:yes: i totally agree with what you said, i was exactly the same with my boyfriend. luckily he felt the same
  • Options
    Yes you can.

In answer to the original post, don't tell him you love him because he told you that he loved you. You will know when you are in love and no-one can tell you when/if that will happen.

I think it is a clear indication that you don't really love him.

i agree, I think the term is thrown about a little too lightly. But we practically lived together for the first 2 months of our relationship. We're at uni together, and in our second years, in town houses. Therefore, the intensity and intimacy level is a lot higher than your average dating twice a week for a month before it gets serious.

A lot to do with my worry over this is an attempt to protect myself. I've been hurt very badly in the past, by people that I completely opened up to and trusted. In my view, by saying those words and expressing that amount of feeling, you are opening yourself up to anything and everything. At the moment I'm just not sure I'm ready to let him in that far. I know he finds this difficult, but I need to be realistic. We're graduating next year, and live 4 hours away from eachother. This isnt the time to be going goo goo eyed and lovey dovey over a relationship that may or may not make the distance.
    He's been with you 5 months. You cant expect him not to feel anything for you. Why do people get so freaked out by these 3 words? It may not mean 'I want to marry you and impregnate you so we can live in Milton Keynes' all the time yknow. I just link it with strong, intimate feelings.

I'm not getting freaked out, I'm just trying to assess the situation. This is not your, oh my god, my first boyfriend, my virginity, my first love etc relationship. We're both adults, living on our own, and other people have to be brought into the equation where our relationship is considered. In all honesty, I'm not sure that right now I'm at a point in my life where I want to have to consider someone else's feelings all the time when making important decisions about my life.

But you're right. Lying to him is not the answer. I just dont know how else to readily express the fact that I care
  • Options
    Blurgh!!

Man, saying those three magic words when you don't mean 'em isn't so cool but if you stop saying them now, he'll ask why..

You live and learn...
  • Options
    Love to me, is something you feel after seeing them at their best, their worst.

Love is something you work at, you accept the flaws, the little niggling things and you see past that and think "Fuck me, you're the one I'm staying with regardless, because I need you to be around me because you ARE my life, you make everything glow around me, etc."

I think alot of people go for love 2 months in because they really click, and the feeling is mutual and it's a honeymoon stage. Don't get me wrong, when I was 17/18 I was thinking I loved a guy after 3 months.

It was all tender, sweet loving. But looking back now, there was NO consistency, we hadn't had the hard times. We didn't have the big old talks about life, doing things we knew were wrong and growing from them to be stronger, and the like. It was puppy love.

Love is the one you'll always be with. That's it. No one else. I think people use the expression too freely.

That's all I'm saying. And some people on these boards don't understand that. I think alot of people confuse "love" with incessant tenderness/affection from each other, spending time ALL the time, etc.
  • Options
    1983 wrote:
    Don't get me wrong, when I was 17/18 I was thinking I loved a guy after 3 months.

you're only wat, 21 now? you talk down to people younger than you quite alot. just because you personally havent experienced something other people have, doesnt mean it doesnt happen.
    you obviously havent met 'the one' yet or you would be with him now. and people do meet 'the one' at 15, 16, 18, etc. just because you didnt, doesnt mean it doesnt happen.
  • Options
    i think it depends on the individual/s really. from my experience...love isn't something that comes or can come quickly...i.e. a few months. but there again i've never been in love and have just split up with my boyfriend of 6 months. we never got to the stage where we loved eachother. in a way i wasn't letting myself 'cause i was happy as we were and i didn't want to get carried away. kinda glad really 'cause i can imagine that if we had loved eachother that splitting up would've been so much harder. just like to add i know you can't really stop yourself falling in love and that it just 'happens', but i was sort of in control of my feelings as was he. about 1 month into the relationship i was like bloody hell i love this man.. but that was only 'cause i was having these intense feelings towards him that i'd never had for anyone else but then i thought no lucy, you don't love him..you barely know him yet. it depends what love means to you i guess.
  • Options
    you're only wat, 21 now? you talk down to people younger than you quite alot. just because you personally havent experienced something other people have, doesnt mean it doesnt happen.
    you obviously havent met 'the one' yet or you would be with him now. and people do meet 'the one' at 15, 16, 18, etc. just because you didnt, doesnt mean it doesnt happen.

Yeah I'm only 21, and in MY opinion, you can't get love and that longing to be with someone forever in the space of 5 months. You can't grasp a sense of what life will be like 20 years from now with that person in 5 months.

I don't talk down to people younger than me quite alot. That'll be a dig to me of the reality of things I've tried to tell you about in the past. I just express my opinion, freedom of speech, and all that jazz. But my opinion doesn't matter because people do go against the odds and as you say find love at ages younger than me, my parents did it, and so did my sister and aunts.

But I still go by what I think, and if people think it's bollocks then fair dos. It's a tiny 0.001 percentage of the world that this board represents, and I know that quite a lot of people will go with what I say, and what you say too. But it is different strokes for different folks.

But 5 months to make that decision of making and breaking something SO young doesn't really cut it for me. I think it's far too soon, and people use and abuse that decision and waste it.
  • Options
    i don't really think that you have to just love 1 person though, do you? you might think you love someone and then look back on it and think god, i wasn't in love with him..i'm in love with this person.
  • Options
    Yeah, that's true, I've done it like I said. I've done it twice.

But I'm being old fashioned here, blame my Mum. When I hear I love you, not 5 months in I know it'll last.

Also, I know that "I love you" is a total swollen feeling inside until you say that and let all that intimate emotion out for that person. I don't know. I don't know, I'm still learning, but I'd like to think that love will happen for me longer than 5 months in.

I just think that John Legend's song Ordinary people sums it up:

Girl im in love with you
    This ain't the honeymoon
    Past the infatuation phase
    Right in the thick of love
    At times we get sick of love
    It seems like we argue everyday

I know I misbehaved
    And you made your mistakes
    And we both still got room left to grow
    And though love sometimes hurts
    I still put you first
    And we'll make this thing work
    But I think we should take it slow

We're just ordinary people
    We don't know which way to go
    Cuz we're ordinary people
    Maybe we should take it slow
    This time we'll take it slow

This ain't a movie no
    No fairy tale conclusion ya'll
    It gets more confusing everyday
    Sometimes it's heaven sent
    Then we head back to hell again
    We kiss then we make up on the way

I hang up you call
    We rise and we fall
    And we feel like just walking away
    As our love advances
    We take second chances
    Though it's not a fantasy
    I Still want you to stay

Take it slow

Maybe we'll live and learn
    Maybe we'll crash and burn
    Maybe you'll stay, maybe you'll leave,
    maybe you'll return
    Maybe another fight
    Maybe we won't survive
    But maybe we'll grow
    We never know baby you and I

• Options
    The first time I saw my wife, I knew she was the one. I know people don't believe in love at first sight, neither did I. But the first time i saw my wife 5 years ago, I knew she was my soul mate. I have loved her completely ever since. She didn't feel the same and I chased her for months but eventually (Thank god) she fell in love with me. I messed up and lost her but, she never left my heart or my thoughts, and she loved me too. I guess that love bought us back to each other and made me the happiest man in the world. I could never lose her again. It would be the end of me completely. It was the first time. For the time we lost contact, all I did to begin with was get drunk all the time. Then I just locked myself away in my bedroom, met a girl on the net, had her for company, but that was all it was for. I thought its either this or live my life alone.
    So all i'm trying to say is, you can love from just first sight, you can love before nine months, it can be real and be with you forever. But some guys say it for other purposes as I have. With most girls all you say is those three words and they drop they're knickers so be careful. I am ashamed that i did it, but I was lonely!
  • Options
    1983 wrote:
    Yeah I'm only 21, and in MY opinion, you can't get love and that longing to be with someone forever in the space of 5 months. You can't grasp a sense of what life will be like 20 years from now with that person in 5 months.

I'd partly agree and partly disagree with this.

I had the feeling of love and wanting to be with her forever after five or six months, and we got engaged. I was right with the feeling, too.

But having said that, with hindsight my love is a lot more stronger and permanent now than it was then. I'm more certain of it. Saying I do means so much more.

After five months its quite common for one person to be in love, and for the other to have not reached that stage yet. You may never love him as you do, or you may grow to. GWST didn't love me as much as I loved her at the beginning.
  • Options
    I seem to have opened up a can of worms here. I agree in part with what people are saying. The difference being that in my opinion, I know what love feels like. The all consuming feeling, the loving their worst parts as well as their good bits, the enveloping feeling of this person being what makes you complete.And the utter destruction it causes when it falls apart.

But at the same time, I don't think anyone has the right to pooh pooh someone else's idea of love. Admittedly at the age of 21 you probably will and do have more life experience of someone who is younger, theres no way around that. I didn't think that the guy I fell in love with at 17 was the person I'd be with forever, but that didnt stop me loving him any less, or hurting any less when it ended.

It depends on the person, the circumstance and their individual feelings.