Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

lying on your CV

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is it really all that bad in order to get a job?

Let me make it clear that I'm not talking about specific professions such as police, doctors, nurses etc where people's safety would be dependant on the skills of the individual, I'm talking about ordinary everyday jobs such as office workers, callcentre people etc

I understand it's illegal to obtain a job if you lie on your CV - but I disagree with that, there are far worse things you could be doing. I've been in a job where I was less than honest on my CV yet was more than capable of doing the work, so I blame the employers for setting their standards unrealistically high.

Comments

• Options
    I haven't, and can't see myself doing so. Nor do I agree with it.

What kind of things would you lie about?

Edit: I'm not sure about illegality, but I'd expect an employer to be able to sack someone immediately at their discretion, which'd be enough punishment (depending on the job, naturally...I'm also ignoring the professions here)
  • Options
    bad seed wrote:

What kind of things would you lie about?

Not saying I'd do it now, but for the sake of this discussion - qualifications, experience, that sort of thing.
  • Options
    Not saying I'd do it now, but for the sake of this discussion - qualifications, experience, that sort of thing.

The thing is, if I wasn't qualified to do a job then I'd either not apply, or go and get the qualifications to do it.

Experience is always a bugger, some jobs require a lot of experience for a job that they'll happily hire a temp to do. Council admin is one (but it does pay rather well).

I applied for a job not long ago, and didn't get it (it came to a tie between me, and someone with more experience)...but I'd not've lied about exp for it, because I'd've probably been out of my depth and fucked it up/taken ages to learn. Having a challenge is one thing, but being right out of your depth is good for no-one.
  • Options
    Things become difficult if you start to lie about things as there is the potential for you to come unstuck.
  • Options
    Crispy wrote:
    Things become difficult if you start to lie about things as there is the potential for you to come unstuck.

Yep.

I'm so bad at lying, that I wouldn't trust myself in an interview if I'd lied on my CV.
  • Options
    If you lie about qualifications they may ask for proof (to see your certificates etc) and if you lie about your experience they may ask for references and chase it up. I wouldn't lie personally.
  • Options
    Is it really all that bad in order to get a job?

a bit of exaggeration never hurt anyone, but if you're just making stuff up, then you're still lying, however trivial the thing you're lying about, and most employers want honest staff.

so yeah, basically, it is that bad.
  • Options
    I understand it's illegal to obtain a job if you lie on your CV - but I disagree with that, there are far worse things you could be doing.

Not a desperately logical argument to be honest :chin:

Nicking a packet of crisps isn't as serious as murder, but it's still a crime! Just because there are 'worse things you could be doing' doesn't make something right.
  • Options
    i understand where you are coming from with the expierence thing because I couldn't apply for certain jobs becuase I wasn't expierenced enough. Dispite this I wouldn't lie on my CV just to get the job.