Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Feeling Faint

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Sometimes I feel faint and shakey in the afternoon - normally but not always accompained by hunger. Do you think its because i'm not eating enough or something else. Because I tend to eat similar things each day and I don't alway feel weird.

Oh and I've eaten today so far....

Bowl of cereal, OJ and Coffee for breakfast

Cuppa Soup, whole meal pitta and and apple for lunch

and then cos i'm really really bad a packet of chrisps and some diet coke (but the chrisps are quite unusual).

Anyway i'm now munching away on some seeds in an attempt to hopefully get my blood sugar levels back up to normal.

Comments

• Options
    That doesnt sound like much, and what is there is not that great - ok cereal and OJ is fine, but id suggest something more nutritious and sustaining than a cup asoup and a pitta for your lunch.
    It would definitely be worth seeing if you felt better with a more sustaining Lunch.
  • Options
    I know the weird old thing is that i normally have bran flakes for breakfast and i feel hungry all the time but i ran out and have been eating honey nut stuff - which you would have thought made you hungrier due to being more readily avaliable sugar and all but they seem not to be. I also try and be good and eat melon as well but it just takes physically so long to eat it.

A more subsantial lunch means being more prepared in the mornings though - maybe i should just bring in tins of soup instead.
  • Options
    I get this and find when I feel faint or anything having a digestive biscuit or something suggary often helps!

If you arent eating then you will feel faint, maybe add a bit more into your diet and see how things go. Or speak to a nutrionist.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Yes, it sounds like lack of food. Or maybe hypoglukemia (sp?). At least those were the two ideas proposed to me when I felt the same, but it turned out to be just stress. Which could also be the case with you.
  • Options
    I get this sometimes because the only thing i eat during the daytime is white toast with Nutella on it.
    Just eat/drink something sugary for an immediate boost and then do what the others have said.
  • Options
    You have barely ate anything! Basically, a bowl of cereal, an apple, a pitta bread and a packet of crisps.

Maybe you could eat:

Breakfast: Bowl of Cereal, Slice of Toast, Orange Juice and Coffeee
    Lunch: Cup of Soup, Two pitta breads, an apple and a banana
    Dinner: Something more substantial than un paquet des chips!!!!!

For example, chicken, potatoes and veg. And some fruit for desert.

Supper: Slice of Toast

This is only an example!! At rest (for example, while sitting and watching television), the human body burns only about 12 calories per pound of body weight per day. So if you weight 10 stones [140 pounds] you need to eat food with 140x12=1680 calories, just to keep your body functioning properly. More obviously if you are up and about.

Speak to your doc about the faint feelings and see what s/he suggests.
  • Options
    I get light headed all the time. I know I don't eat enough but my appetite is ridicuously small. I just try and eat substantial things and if I am feeling a bit woozy i have a sweet or some bread just to get my blood sugar up
  • Options
    hypoglukemia (sp?)

Hypoglycaemia i think, feeling tired and energyless as a result of having low blood suger (hope that helps Zalbor :))

Wyetry, i would take the advice given already and try to integrate more sugar and carbohydrates into your diet. No offence but do you honestly think seeds are a good form of sugar?

If you are going to stick with the healthy approach then have a couple of biscuits for lunch or a biscuit chocolate bar then that should keep you going for the afternoon until you have dinner in the evening.

Sugar is the best form of energy and carbs are good for slow release energy so eating more can make you feel loads better (unlike me who eats loads and feels crap all the time). Take into consideration Panthros diet example, it gives you sugar, vitamins and energy at the same time and that is a great example for anyone who wants a healthy option.

Hope that helps :)
  • Options
    Just to clarify - I didn't eat the chrisps and coke for dinner - I just had them in the afternoon. I ate a chocolate biscuit when i was feeling faint and then the seeds because I knew that you burned off sugar quickly from a biscuit and didn't want to feel faint again after 30 mins so i had the seeds which where the only other thing to hand to fill me up esp as I knew i wasn't going to eat untill much later.

The thing is its not like it happends all the time - just once ever 2 - 3 weeks and I cant' work out why. Maybe it has something to do with what i ate the night before - which was salad, a vegatable stirfry and noodles (i'm thinking I should have had rice).

Oh and also i do eat loads at other time in my life though - all my friends think its really funny that i insist on eating 3 meals a day.

Also i cant' actually think of anything healthy to have for lunch though (apart from salad which is hardly filling). Cos I don't eat meat, eggs or fish in sandwhich's (I dont' really like bread either or butter or mayonaise) which then only leaves cheese and hummus as alternative options. I find it hard enough to force down 1 pitta bread let alone 2 and fruit just makes me hungrier.

Today i'm going to have a pitta bread with haloumi and salad - because its a friday - even though i'm sure its terribly bad for you what with all that fat and salt.
  • Options
    What you should aim to do is have a larger lunch and a smaller tea, tbh.

If you're feeling faint it could well be that you are not eating enough. Even sitting at a desk using your brain requires quite a bit of energy, the brain can use an awful lot of calories when working at full speed.
  • Options
    I want some suggestions though as to exciting lunch time things to eat - that you can prepare in less than 2 mins on the way out of the house in the morning and that dont' cost the earth.
  • Options
    bananas are filling and energy dense

you could even have a bowl of cereal, im always eating cereal when im hungry, it doesnt have to only be eaten at breakfast.
  • Options
    Or cut up a banana into slices and add it to your cereal!!

:thumb:
  • Options
    One fundamental flaw - i hate banana's - I was force fed them as a child and now the only way i can eat them is in banana bread or as dried banana chips - which are obv both really nice but i think the cooking/drying might destory all of the goodness.

I don't drink milk either which limits the number of (good) cereals i can eat - shreaded wheat with no milk is just so hard to eat - but toppers are quite good though bad for you due to sugarness. I've got quite into dry bran flakes though - mmmmmmmm

I'm also not some wierd faddy eating person i just seem to hate all the things which are really good for you, like milk, fish, eggs(I can only eat them if they are disguised as cheese), banana's, yoghurt, baked beans, manky meat (ok thats not good for you but i still hate it). On the otherhand i love all types of vegetables and salad and eat loads of them. I grew up thinking i wasn't a fussy eater because belive it or not my sister is loads fussier than i am - she used to sit at the dinner table taking all the onions out of a stew and my mum always had to cook her separate meals.

If only i coud afford lovely made to order italian sandwhiches every day of the week.
  • Options
    Errrrr not to be one to drag up very old threads, but it is my own one - but i've noticed this happening again and it doesn't seem to particually be related that much to how much i have or havn't eaten - though eating does make me feel less faint.

All very confusing - if one ate roughtly the samething each day and did the same ammout of excersise why would it be sufficient one day and not the next???/
  • Options
    i think the same person can have differing energy needs at different times.
    Do you actually feel better if you eat a bit extra?
  • Options
    Yep - i had a cream craker and an oat cake and i feel fine now - its really weird though as i was naughty and had a cheese coissant on the way to work as well on top of my breakfast.

The concensus in the office is that it must be hormonal......... (i.e. the need for different ammouts of food at different times)
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »
    The concensus in the office is that it must be hormonal......... (i.e. the need for different ammouts of food at different times)

Yeah, I've heard that we need an extra 500 Kcal per day whilst on, not sure if it's actually true though or made up by girls wanting to justify all that extra chocolate :chin:
  • Options
    yeah I always found that around my period id need more starchy foods or sugary foods.
  • Options
    I've not got my period at the moment though - maybe i'm just suffering from being weak willed and giving in to the need to eat more..........